22| Surrounded by the Best

McKayla

Thank god I got Kris back to playing because he was looking really good out there. Some of the boys' significant others joined me at the hospital tonight to watch them take on the Dodgers out in LA. I missed having him around but the team needed him and the doctors were taking good care of me.

"Why is it that I still get nervous" Brittany, Jakes wife, asks. He was pitching today and she hates watching him pitch, I don't blame her.

"I don't care what anyone says. Watching these games are terrible" I laugh.

"Ain't that the truth" Darya agrees. We enjoy the game as much as we could but talked most of the time. Jake was lights out holding on to a two run lead.

"Are you excited to get out of here soon" Hyla asks.

"Hell yeah, these five minutes showers aren't cutting it" I laugh.

"What are you going to do once you leave" Britt wonders.

"I don't know, probably go back to work. I can't work out for a while which sucks, old habits die hard, but I'll suffice. Kris' parents have been wonderful for me but I know they've stayed a lot longer than they originally thought and probably want to go home" I shrug.

"Is Kris going to let you stay alone" Melisa asks.

"Probably not. He's extremely over protective and always thinks something will happen to me" I laugh shaking my head. I can hold my own but I don't mind knowing that when I can't he'll be there to help me.

"How old are you again" Darya asks.

"22, but I turn 23 next month" I nod.

"Dang girl, you're young" she laughs.

"Yeah, I grew up quickly" I admit. We watch the game and cheer obnoxiously loud when we scored. They guys looked really good though and it made for a really happy room.

"Do you guys think they'll make the post season this year" Brit asks.

"Yeah. I mean with the second half Jake is having I don't see why not. If we get a wildcard spot we'll put him in there to shut anyone down then the resilience in these guys will take over from there. I mean Joe and Jon have been here not even a full season and a lot has turned around. Behind all the quirky sayings and extreme amount of young players are a group of really talented and skilled guys. I don't see how to keep them out of the post season" I admit.

"Glad one of us understands baseball" Hyla laughs.

"I was practically raised by Kris' dad, it's hard not to pick up a few things" I admit.

"Why were you raised with Kris' parents" Irmarie, Javys girlfriend asks. She was new to the group and didn't talk much so I get how she feels. But she was sweet. We were a close group because we knew that with such a long season we would need to lean on each other for certain things. Now I'm not allowed to say what their husbands tell me but I can assure them not to worry or if nothing might become something.

"My parents were bad people. I was a mistake my mom hoped would bring her closer to my dad. Turns out they weren't ready for a kid or any real type of responsibility. You never know how fast you have to grow up until you're eleven and carrying your drunk dad up the stairs and to the bathroom so he doesn't choke on his own bile. So Kris' parents often invited me over for dinner when they knew my parents wouldn't feed me or would throw me a birthday party when my parents forgot. Since the first day of middle school I've been inserted into Kris' family. Mike saw me as more than a baseball player, he saw in me what I was finally able to see in me. His mom taught me how to use a tampon and talked to me when I got overwhelmed when I overloaded myself with things so I wouldn't have time to see how bad things really were. And even now his parents are still looking out for me. They've been around for the two weeks I've been in here, they never had to do anything for me. But as an athlete I know that in order to be the best you have to surround yourself with the best. And they are" I explain.

"That's so sweet" she smiles and I nod. It was, wasn't it? The game ends and Jake throws a no hitter. I was still limited to what I could do so I celebrated the best I could. Britt was overcome with emotions and I was happy to be a part of that. After it was all said and done I send the girls on their way. I promise a shopping day when I get better and I finally have peace and quiet. I'm glad people are found of me and care, but silence is pretty good too. I try to stay awake but fall asleep watching the post game wrap up.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Who knew they had physical therapy for breathing? I most certainly didn't. But I've been awake for six days now and should be able to go home tomorrow. Kris comes over after a game against the Reds with a bag of Chinese food in his hand.

"How the hell did you manage to sneak that in here" I laugh as he places cashew chicken in my lap.

"Perks of being Chicago's sweetheart" he smirks and I roll my eyes. I'm sure he was tired of me complaining about how bad the cafeteria food was but I couldn't help it, have they even heard of spices? I happily eat all the food and he hands me a fortune cookie. I open it and read it out loud.

"Measure your life by counting the precious moments" I announce. That was cute.

"Mistakes happen, turn them into opportunities" he reads. I liked that one too.

"How about we walk around" he offers and I smile. It's so hard just sitting there all day, that's not the lifestyle I live. He helps me out of the bed and I slip on the hospital slippers and being the machine that made sure my breathing was good as we walk around. It was about 11 at night and no one was out really. He laced his hand through my free one and I can feel he was nervous about something.

"What's wrong" I ask and he looks down at me.

"I hate when you read me like that" he chuckles but gets to the point.

"I have a question and I'm not sure how you will react" he starts. This should be good.

"What's up" I ask.

"I want you to move in with me" he says quickly.

"Okay" I say and he stops walking to look at me.

"Really? This seems too easy" he says.

"We basically lived together in high school and I'm always at your place as is. It's not like you were going to take no for a answer anyway" I laugh.

"Okay you got me there" he jokes nudging me.

"So you'll move in with me" he asks again.

"Are you trying to get me to change my mind" I laugh.

"No no, not at all. Just, I always imagined this moment. I never wanted it to happen this way but we've had a very long and complicated relationship. Having you move in is surreal, you know? Soon enough we'll be married and have 5 kids and they'll all play baseball" he smiles.

"You will not force our children to do anything they don't want to" I warn.

"Look, you're already over protective" he cheers as I roll my eyes.

"I'm already regretting moving in with you" I joke. We get back to my room and he gently gets me into my bed.

"Please sleep in your bed tonight" I beg.

"Our bed" he corrects.

"Kristopher Lee Bryant" I warn as he raises his hands.

"Fine... fine, I'm going" he claims.

"Wait! I want a kiss" I pout and he returns to my side. He places a kiss on my lips and I smile to myself, he was the one.