54| Now or Never

Kris

"Come on, you can do it. Say it with me... Da-da."

McKayla is a hundred percent sure McKenzie said "dada" earlier but I think she's just sleep deprived. The child is barley four months old, I highly doubt she's saying anything yet. I think McKayla is just trying to cheer me up. Kenzie and Kayla babble back and fourth for a while and it actually did make me feel better. It's like they understood each other without saying a real word.

"Dada" Kenzie says and my eyes grow big.

"Ha! I knew it" Kayla cheers with her arms over her head. I lunge for my phone and try and record her.

"Say it again sweetie... dada" Kayla says moving her mouth weirdly.

"Dada" she repeats and I smile to myself. That's pretty cool. Kinda makes everything going on around here seem smaller.

Game seven was in Cleveland where it was all or nothing. McKayla says I'm stressing myself out... and she's right. But she constantly reminds me that we were good enough to get here so there's no reason to be worried. We perform best in pressure spots and I should never doubted us. But even when we faced elimination I knew we could pull through. And unlike those games no matter what we're done after this, there is no game eight. Heading to the field tonight I know I'll have to give it my all, 110% in order to pull this off.

McKayla dresses Kenzie in a Bryant onesie and a cubs coat with blue shoes and gloves. She looked like a cute little blueberry. I slip a baseball bow into her curly blonde hair and mess with it a little. I watch as she lights up in Kayla's arms, she had a tooth coming in and it made her smiles that much better. I kiss her head then kiss Kaylas head before disappearing into the locker room.

"Hey KB, what's up" Anthony asks as I take my spot next to him.

"Actually excited that this is the last game because I'm so freaking exhausted" I admit.

"I feel you there, this is a lot of baseball" he chuckles. We change and chill in the lockers until someone tells us it's time to get up there.

"Wanna see something cool" I ask Anthony and he perks up.

"Hell yeah" he answers and I pull my phone out. I show him the video from earlier and he seemed pretty excited.

"That's adorable man. You've got yourself a advanced little baby there" he comments.

"She gets it from her mamma. Anyone who spends a majority of their life with her seems to be amazing" I shrug.

"Well if you want to be the best you have to surround yourself with the best" he reminds me. That... is true.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

As they take the tarp off the field I sit silently in the dugout thinking to myself. Thinking about what got me here. How my Joe always told us to never let the pressure to exceed the pleasure. How my mom always told me to have fun because if you win and you're unhappy than you didn't really win. All my friends back home that I wouldn't have been able to do anything without. My college teammates who always told me I would be here one day, and would you look at that... they're right.

Swarbs starts off the tenth with a single and Almora pinch runs for him. He's already done so much for us even though he really wasn't supposed to, he's like a super hero. I move Almora to second on a long ball and Rizzo takes the free base at first. So far we were looking to have the upper hand once again and I find my mind wandering.

I look over to David and try to imagine my life without him in it. He's been my mentor for my time up here and I haven't had to do anything without him by my side. All I know is that we wouldn't be here without him. Knowing that this is his last game ever he naturally goes yard along with other weird things. But he did good and I'm going to be sad to see him go.

Then I turn to Chapman who was crying just twenty minutes ago. It might not seem like it, but he cares. Everyone on this team is special and he's no exception. I felt bad for him because he's taking what happened to heart but this is a team. We win together and we lose together. And if we pull this off it's going to be in a big part thanks to him. You don't have to like him, but you have to respect him. But I really do like him.

My eyes then catch Joe who looked so calm. Like he wanted it all to work out this way. I wonder what it's like in his mind. I wonder if that's hot cocoa or coffee in his cup since it's so late. When it comes to him I seem to have more questions than answers, but it's better that way.

I'm snapped out of my thoughts when Ben cracks a ball into the right field and brings in Almora. Ben celebrates on second and I find myself on top of the fence celebrating with my team. From the ashes we rise once again, and this time we're planning on staying on top.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

It all happened so quickly. One second I'm slipping on the wet grass and the next we're world champions. It was all a blur from the celebration, to carrying David off the field, the interviews and champagne showers. I slip out to catch my breath, to try and soak it in, and see McKayla and McKenzie on the field. Kenzie was tucked securely in Kayla's arms as they both look around. McKayla had a huge smile on her face as she rocked the baby on the mound.

"It's amazing, isn't it" I ask making my way out to her.

"This is crazy. This whole night has been so crazy" she laughs.

"Had you worried there didn't I" I joke.

"Not really. When it comes to you I never worry" she smirks. I place a kiss on her lips and fall in love all over again. I hadn't realized how bad I needed that until just now.

"Dada" Kenzie cheers and we break apart with a laugh.

"That's right. And now dada is a world champion. He's not just our hero, but a hero to millions of people everywhere" she says in her baby voice.

"Don't you want to be with the guys" she asks turning to me.

"I'm sure I'll be seeing them a lot. I wanted a special moment with my girl and my baby" I say.

"I would let you hold the baby if you weren't covered in champagne" she giggles.

"It won't hurt her" I defend.

"Nope. Just my soul" she jokes. I get changed and we make the voyage back home. I hold Kenzie as she sleeps in my arms and the trophy laid next to us. Through the chaos I manage to stay in my head once again.  This whole experience is awesome but only because she's in my life.