11| Call Up

McKayla

After getting my stuff into my apartment in Chicago I joined the boys for opening day at Wrigley. I had a week to get a feel around the place and get to know the guys before digging into their heads. As I make my way through the clubhouse I introduce myself and everyone was super sweet. Starlin was hilarious and Lester was probably one of the nicest dudes I have ever met. I wanted to come here to reconnect with Kris but also to be a part of something special, and since he's still waiting for his call up I was going to use this time to get comfortable in my new surroundings. I clicked with all the guys and they understood what I was here to do. I can already get a good read on most of them, who I would see the most and who I probably wouldn't see at all.

"Heads up" someone yells and I catch a baseballs hat was headed for my head with my bare hand. As a pitcher it's a good skill to have.

"Hey now, I know I'm new here but no need to decapitate me" I laugh.

"I'm sorry, we were just messing around. Don't want to hurt your pretty little head. But I have to admit you have some nice reflexes" the guy says.

"I played a little ball in high school" I shrug.

"Softball" he asks. I actually get this a lot.

"Baseball" I reiterate.

"Impressive. What position did you play" he wonders.

"Mostly pitcher, sometimes center field."

"That's really cool. So what are you doing here" he asks.

"I'm the sports phycologist, if you have any questions not baseball related I'm here to answer them. But I could probably answer the ones about baseball too" I laugh.

"Okay first question. What's your name" he asks.

"McKayla" I say and he nods.

"You know, you look and sound just like the McKayla Kris always goes on and on about" he chuckles. I freeze and look at him as he continues to laugh. He still talks about me?

"What does he say about her" I wonder.

"That she's the love of his life. He won't even touch another girl because he waited forever for this girl and he's okay with waiting a little bit longer to see her again. She's long and gentle and always knows what to do. He's got it pretty bad but she sounds like a great girl. She's the only one that can call him-"

"Breezy" I finish for him. He does a double take before piecing it all together.

"Wait... you're her" he asks and I nod. Once he picks up his jaw he still had a few questions.

"He said you were cute, not hot" he says crossing his arms being completely serious.

"It's been five years since I've last saw him in person. I've grown up a little" I admit.

"Holy shit this is crazy. Does he know you're here" he asks.

"No, it's a surprise so if you didn't mention it to him that would be great" I say.

"Of course, not a peep from me. It's just insane because I already know so much about you. He really loves you" he says.

"I know. And it's been hard being away for so long but it was for the best. Look at all he's accomplished" I smile.

"Okay this is so stinkin' cute, hold on" he says. I stand there for a few seconds before he returns with David who I met earlier.

"Do you know who this is" the guy asks.

"Yes Anthony, that's McKayla who is here to make sure we don't self destruct" he claims. He isn't wrong.

"Yes. But this is Kris' McKayla" he reiterates and Davids eyes nearly pop out of his head.

"Holy shit it is" he says after looking me up and down a few times. I talk with them and tell them of stories of Kris from middle school and high school. They promise to keep my secret and I promise to make them lunch for keeping their mouth shut.

I watch the game from the bleachers as the April air blows through my hair. It was an amazing experience and I couldn't wait to see Kris play out here. He's going to tear it up... I just know it.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

A week in and I'm loving the job. These guys are so freaking funny and sweet. They care about each other and the game, it's cool to be around. Most of the guys are around my age so we connect well which makes my job so much easier. I've honestly missed being a part of a baseball team and this is the closest I've been with a bunch of guys since high school. I promised Anthony lunch so he came over and I cooked him a meal. My phone goes off and he holds it up.

"It's Kris" he yells and I drop my things to answer it.

"What's up kiddo" I ask as I return to tend to my food.

"Guess what" he yells and I laugh.

"I don't know Kris. With you it could be anything from you got a cat to you're elected as president" I admit.

"Although both of those would be cool, that's not it. I'm going to play for the Cubs this Friday" he cheers and I freeze.

"You better not be joking with me" I warn.

"Of course not. I'm being so serious. I'll be playing in the MLB" he says again and I couldn't help but smile. He's dreamt of this day since he was a kid. I loved listening to him talk about what this day would be like. He deserved to be here and I'll be able to see it first hand.

"That's so amazing Kris. I'm proud of you" I say honestly.

"Thanks. Maybe you could possibly be there to see it. I can get you a ticket. Fly you out there and everything. It would mean a lot to me" he starts.

"Let me see what I can do" I reply and thankfully he lets it go. We talk for a little and I finish cooking before I let him go.

"What did wonder boy want" Anthony asks as I hand him a plate of food. This last week he's showed me around and has been my best friend. He says I'm just like Kris which I take as the best compliment.

"It's not my place to tell" I say acting like I'm zipping my mouth and throw away the imaginary key.

"Come on pleaseeee" he begs sticking out his bottom lip.

"Nope. But you should be expecting a phone call" I say. A second later his phone goes off and it's Kris. I give him a wink and he rolls his eyes before answering his phone. Kris tells him that he's called up and will play at the end of the week. Anthony congratulates him before hanging up then returning to me.

"I have a idea of how to surprise him" he smirks moving his eyebrows up and down. This should be good.