35| Valentines Day

Kris

Valentine's Day is usually not a big deal to me, it's a bit too cheesy and unoriginal. But I don't have a ordinary girlfriend, flowers and chocolate just won't do. So instead I'm going to purpose, that's pretty unexpected right?

The day starts out pretty normal. We go baby shopping and double check we have everything for spring training. We leave in a few days and we've packed at least twenty times. It's a bit chaotic around here and I can tell she wants to make sure everything is ready. I take her on a carriage ride so we don't have to walk and she can admire our last few days in Chicago. She's finally starting to show a little and we were excited. All the doctors appointments were going well and we could find out the gender here pretty soon. Until then she sits in my arms on the carriage listening to the hooves of the horses beat the pavement of the streets of Chicago on this unusually warm February day.

For dinner we go to a nice Chinese restaurant. Whenever I want to do something meaningful I found it easy just turn to Chinese food, it was her favorite after all. Plus that's the food our whole relationship is based off of. There were seats outside and it was warm enough we could sit out there, beneath the stars we always seem to find ourselves under. She wore a black dress and curled her long blonde hair, looked amazing as always. We ordered our usual food, orange chicken and cashew chicken, and she catches me staring at her.

"Why do you keep looking at me like that" she asks.

"Just thinking about how lucky I am" I admit and she tucks a curl behind her ear with a bright smile as her eyes advert mine. I know she's noticed me being extra weird today and is trying to brush it off. She's just thoughtful like that. We get our food and talk about what to expect at spring training. I listen to her go on about how much she loves baseball and being around the guys and it's like I fall in love with her all over again. She eats her cashew chicken and I eat my orange chicken like we have so many times before, but this time was even more special. The waiter places two fortune cookies on the table and gives me a wink before walking away. McKayla reaches for the one on the left and I snatch it away before she could get it.

"I uh.. I really want this one" I defend and she lets out a giggle.

"Um okay" she laughs taking the other one.

"I'll go first" I insist.

"You will make a great proposal in the near future" I read out loud. She smiles but shrugs it off and opens hers until a diamond ring falls out of the cookie and onto the table. Attached to it was a paper that read "will you marry me?" on it.

"Kris" she whispers staring at the ring. I pick it up and get down on one knee placing myself at her feet.

"McKayla Marie Jenkins, my ride or die since sixth grade. It took me long enough huh? For the past twelve years you are the one constant that has always been running through my mind. Even with you thousands of miles away you were always in my corner cheering me on. Even when you weren't there for me, you were always there for me. I knew that in a press of a button you would drop everything to be my side and that was nice to know.

In middle school at the ripe age of 12 I knew you were the one for me, you struck me out the first day we met and I just knew I had to have you. I didn't know much about you, I knew you lived down the street but that's about. But I knew I had to get to know you and I'm so happy I did. As a little kid I didn't know what love felt like, I loved baseball but that was different, you were different. It was like rules didn't apply to you, you were just this over confident and outgoing individual that latched onto me for some reason. You had this ability to take corrections and information quicker than most adults, I loved watching you just live your life and grow every day. As time passed I noticed that you weren't like the others, you never took no for a answer. If you really wanted something you would have it. And for some reason you decided you wanted me, I felt honored. A girl like you wanting to be friends with a guy like me, it was flattering. I quickly latched onto you and you opened up to me. Since then it was Kris and Kayla and my parents were sure we would run away together.

You trained with me, you studied with me, you made me the man I am today. But you never took the credit or asked for anything in return, you just wanted to see me live out my dreams and that's what I wanted for you. Soon enough we were doing everything together and were inseparable. People knew that if you were invited to something I would be right along side of you and vice versa. I can't explain how we were in such a serious relationship when the hardest decision of our lives was deciding which juice pouch to drink at the time. But our lives quickly revolved around each other and I couldn't do anything without checking in with you first. And I didn't want it any other way.

As we got older you were over more often, I wasn't sure why but I didn't mind any. We would spend all day in the cages just working until we couldn't work anymore. My mom would have lemonade ready for us inside and we would chill out with Nick in the basement doing homework or pestering him. I didn't know you were over because of what a terrible life you had at home. You were so good at hiding things that it was scary. But one night I found you atop your roof on a night much like this one and you told me everything. I held you in my arms and you just sobbed, I'd never seen you like that before and I hated it. I hated that your parents were so terrible and that I couldn't do anything about it. That night I promised to be there for you at all times, no matter what, when you needed someone to confide in I would be waiting for you. Arms wide open just like my heart, waiting for you to enter them.

Once we got to high school we were inseparable, the dynamic duo. My dad put you on the team not because you were my best friend but because no one would work harder than you. You joined all these clubs and teams and still had the best grades in the school. Watching you every day was a privilege. Each and every day I fell more and more in love with you and until senior year I had to keep it a secret. That was the hardest thing I have ever done in my life. The guys on the team knew it, my parents knew it, everyone but you seemed to have figured it out. But I waited and waited and finally I got you. I would have waited a life time just to call you mine. And since then I knew I would spend the rest of my life with you.

As for baseball, I knew where that was leading me. But when it comes to you, I will follow blindly just to find out where you would take me. McKayla, you are the most important person in my life, you always have been. All of my favorite memories have you in them and I can't wait to make more. You agreeing to marry me won't change much. We've already been through it all and are expecting a kid pretty soon, but having the honor to call you my wife would be really nice. So McKayla, will you marry me?"

"Yes" she mouths and I laugh at how cute that was as I slip the ring on her finger and I stand up to pull her into my chest.

"I love you Breezy" she whispers.

"Love you too Big Mac."