18| Stay With Me

Kris

Isn't love great? I think it's pretty freaking great. Maybe it's because McKayla is just that amazing or because I feel like I'm living in a fairy tale. But I know for a fact there's not a single thing I would change about my life right now. I put on a white dress shirt and black slacks before spraying on some cologne and fixing my hair. It was date night for McKayla and I and I was excited as always. These past five months have been nothing less than memorable. From all the dance parties in my apartment to frolicking through the pier, I find enjoyment in every day I'm with her. Not a day goes by that I don't find myself wanting to look into those bright green eyes, telling her how much I love her. And today was no exception, I pick up a bouquet of flowers and head to her place not wanting to waste a second. I knock on the door using the knock we used in high school and she opens the door with a blinding smile. She had on a white short sleeve summer dress that stoped right above her knees. Her legs looked a mile long in white wedges as she did a little spin.

"How do I look" she asks once she faced me again. She always asks that and I never do mind reminding her that she is a gift to look at.

"Breathtaking" I whisper causing her to smile. I hand her the flowers and she sets them inside her place.

"So where are we going today" she asks. It was my turn to pick the destination for our date.

"I don't know, how about we just walk around and see where our feet take us" I suggest.

"Adventurous, I like it" she smirks. I lace my fingers through hers and we set off to no where in particular.

"So it's August now and you've been in the league for a while, how are you feeling" she asks.

"I'm feeling good, making good contact lately and feel comfortable out there. Can't wait to see what the rest of the season brings" I admit. We walk around a corner in downtown Chicago and she stops in her tracks. Her grip on me tightens as she rushes closer to my side. All the color drains from her face as her eyes lock on something, something not good I'm guessing. I follow her stare and find a gun pointed straight at my head. I freeze in my spot not particularly sure what to think. It was broad daylight, but here was someone in all black holding a gun to my head.

"Give me your wallet" they demand. I swallow hard but reach for my wallet when I hear them cock the gun. Their finger rested on the trigger ready to pull it at any time.

"I'm just reaching for my wallet" I assure them slowly and they nod. Their hand was shaking bad, I don't believe they've ever held a gun before.

"Why are you doing this" McKayla whispers and I look at her like she's crazy. Because she's actually crazy.

"I need money for my mom to get her medication. Now hand it over" they yell. Their voice was wavering as if they were about to cry.

"You don't have to do this" she says softly.

"Yes I do" they insist glancing at her but keeping the gun on me.

"Look, here's 200 dollars, that should be more than enough. Go get her medicine and a nice meal, anything you need" she says handing them a wad of cash. They keep the gun pointed at me but take the money with the other hand.

"Thank you, I know you probably don't want to hear this but it means a lot" they say.

"Everyone can use some help and I'm glad you could get some. Now can you please lower your gun away from my boyfriend" she asks nicely and the person nods their head letting out a loud breath. They start to lower the gun but forget to take their finger off the trigger and I hear a pop and they let out a gasp. I don't think they meant to but the gun was shot off. My eyes shoot close as fear instantly takes over. Every muscle tightens and I start to shake trying to comprehend what just happened. After a few seconds I realize I don't feel anything and try to figure out what is going on because that gun was defiantly pointed at me when it went off. I open my eyes and McKayla was in front of me standing perfectly still, the person was gone and I hear someone scream yelling that they're calling 911. McKayla falls swiftly in one motion and I catch her in my arms, it was then that a bunch of blood comes pouring out a small hole in her side. I frantically try to stop the bleeding but it keeps spilling between my fingers.

"Oh my god... okay, um... everything is going to be okay" I say frantically, trying to figure out what to do. I'm not sure what to do but I know in need to stop the bleeding. I tried focusing on that but it's hard when all I see is her fighting for her life in my arms. She lets out a groan and gasps for air before grabbing for her side. I hear sirens from the distance and pray that they get here quickly.

"Stay with me Kayla, look at me" I demand as she slowly turns her head. She gives a small smile and brings her hand up to my face. She wipes away a tear before her eyes roll into the back of her head and her arm falls limp into her lap.

"No no no, McKayla wake up. Don't leave me. Open your eyes baby. Come on, just look at me" I beg. I keep pressure on her side the best I can before the ambulance comes up behind me. The tears fall heavier asks she's taken from my arms and put onto a stretcher. It all happened so fast. They load her up and I hop in the ambulance while they hook her up.

"What happened" a paramedic asks.

"We were being held at gunpoint and when the gunman went to lower the gun it went off and she jumped in front of me" I explain. I cannot believe she jumped in front of me.

"She's still alive, barley, but she's still alive" he assures me. I look over to her to see her beautiful white dress now completely red and her body limp as they do what they have to with her. How could this have happen? She did nothing wrong, we were just about to walk away. Chaos soon ensues as she flatlines and there's a rush to revive her. After a few tries with a paddles her heartbeat comes back but I was beyond traumatized by now. I just watched the only person I ever fell in love with die right in front of me. I almost lost her again. After quite possibly the longest ride of my life we get to the hospital where she's unloaded and rushed away. I try to follow her but they don't budge.

"Sir you can't go back there, I'm sorry. She needs a lot of help right now and they will do everything to make sure she'll make it out okay. Go home and wash up and change then come back. You can leave your name and number in case anything happens" the parametric says holding me back. I look down to see I was covered in her blood also. I slowly nod my head and start to turn away before he grabs my wrist.

"Here, this fell off in the ambulance" he says placing something in my hand. I open my it to see her locket covered in blood now resting in my hand. I open the locke and see the picture of us from state. I can't lose her, I just can't.