33| Nicky

Kris

My first Christmas in Chicago and it was already magical. The snow falls lightly on the city as my eyes flutter open. I roll over in search of my amazing girlfriend but am met with a cold bed. I look around and she didn't seem to be anywhere. I'm confronted with a wave of maple syrup and bacon and calm down when I hear the Christmas music play outside the door.

After a quick shower I change into jeans and a nice black sweater before heading downstairs and find McKayla in the kitchen cooking away. She had a apron on and was dancing around like always, I sit and watch for a while as she happily skips across the kitchen. Finally I make my way over and sit at the island.

"My family won't be over until like 5, why are you cooking already" I ask.

"I couldn't sleep, I was too excited. So most of the food is prepared and now all I have to do is heat the oven up later. But I also was able to make breakfast" she says placing a plate of eggs, bacon, and chocolate chip pancakes in front of me. She made a smiley face on my pancakes with whipped cream and I smile up at her.

"You're the best, you know that right" I wonder.

"Only for you" she says kissing my cheek and taking off the apron. We eat breakfast and talk about how great the holidays were in Chicago. The lights were beautiful and everything seemed to have the Christmas spirit. We watch The Polar Express and cuddle for hours as the food cooked. The house started smelling really good as the day goes on and I get warmer with McKayla curled up to my side. This is the type of Christmas moments I will cherish forever, nothing real extra, just real special. Eventually there's a knock on the door and my parents and brother find their way in.

"Where is she" Nick yells and McKayla pops up from the kitchen.

"Nicky is that you" she yells tumbling out of the kitchen. Her relationship with my brother was unique. He was older than me and understood more of her situation than I did at the time we became friends. But he saw in her what me and my dad did. He adopted her as his little sister and would drive us to practices and bring her food if her parents were gone for a long time. My family always loved McKayla, but Nick and her were something else. When he left for college she took it hard, she hasn't seen him since... well until now, so this should be interesting.

She runs straight into his arms as he wraps them around her tightly. He knew we were together and all but we weren't announcing that we were expecting until today.

"I've missed you more than anything" she says into his shoulder.

"I could say the same to you kid. Look at you! You're all grown up" he says holding her shoulders.

"Look at me" she repeats causing him to laugh. I think she was pretty surprised. My parents make their way in and my mom naturally heads to the kitchen only to find the table set and the food done.

"Woah... Kris, there's food on the table and I didn't make it" my mom laughs.

"Ha ha very funny. I'll have you know you taught McKayla very well so you might as well have" I say throwing my arm around her.

"Glad I could do a good service" my mom jokes.

"My cooking will never be as good as Sues, but I say let's dig in" McKayla announces and we take a seat. After making our plates we catch up over a great meal. I saw my parents on thanksgiving but I haven't seen my brother in a year. He worked out in Vegas as a pediatric doctor, he tried coming out to Chicago on opening day and to see McKayla in the hospital but never could get off. Luckily they gave him the holidays off so we could see him.

"I have to give it to you Big Mac, this meal is a very close second to moms" Nick admits.

"I don't know. I think she's got me beat" my mom says getting seconds.

"That's impossible, but thank you guys" McKayla smiles.

"So... anything new" my dad asks and I look at Kayla. She gives me her famous smile and I clear my throat.

"Actually, McKayla and I have a announcement" I say and my mom raises her eyebrow.

"Kris and I are expecting" she announces and my mom drops her fork.

"No way" she screeches and I nod my head.

"Yup, she's three months along and both her and the child are healthy. The baby is expected in June or July" I explain. My mom gets up to hug McKayla and I and pulls Kayla off her chair.

"This is the best Christmas ever. Lets go look at baby things" my mom says pulling her in the living room. McKayla looks back at me and I give her my best 'sorry' look.

"Kris... you're going to be a dad" my brother says.

"Yeah I know... crazy right? I couldn't be happier" I admit.

"You shouldn't be. You guys are something like no one has ever seen before. It's crazy how well you guys know each other" Nick says still eating his food. He's like a vacuum.

"Are you going to pop the question" my dad asks.

"I want to... but I want to do it right. She deserves nothing less. I was going to ask her dad for her hand when we were out in Vegas but..." I trail off.

"I wouldn't meddle in that Kris. That's territory you shouldn't go in" my dad warns.

"I know, but I'm not sure how to ask her. We've already been through so much and still want to do so much more. My whole life is based around her and a ring on that finger will just further prove my love. There's not a thing I'm worried about when it comes to expressing just how much she means to me. All I need is a ring and a plan" I shrug.

"Don't force anything, get a ring and wait for the perfect moment. You guys share a lot but you'll know when it's the one" my dad suggests.

"Thanks dad" I smile.

"I have to get past you to marry her... don't I" I ask.

"You bet your ass" he says and I shake my head. Typical dad. After him messing with me for ten minutes he gives me his blessings then helps me clean up. We find Kayla and my mom looking at color schemes for the babies room and what to have before the baby gets here.

Eventually we move to presents and have a great time. I got my mom a new purse and the boots she wanted. My dad got a signed bat and some new cologne so he doesn't keep asking for mine. I got my brother a Bryant Cubs jersey and a new watch. I got a lot of cool new cloths and other things for around the apartment. Finally McKayla hands me a box and smiles bright. I open it to see a small baseball glove and a ball.

"They're yours from when you played. I kept it to remind me why I kept going, but it never was the things in baseball that kept me going. It was the guy wearing that stuff. That ball was the last out from state, the last time I played ball. Naturally you we were a part of the biggest play of the season and I know you will have more moments like that. But this glove, maybe one day our child will wear it. You wore it for years and now we can pass it down" she explains.

"That's beautiful, thank you" I say giving her a hug. She opens her gift from me which was a new baseball hat and her own Cubs jersey with her name and number.

"This is the greatest thing ever. It's like I'm part of the team" she says studying the jersey.

"You are, you always will be" I assure her. We spend the night sharing favorite memories until they had to leave and I go to bed with a full heart.