30| Home Sweet Home

McKayla

Las Vegas, Nevada. Home to millions of people, including Kris and I. As I drive through the familiar streets I smile to myself. Take away the toxic family environment this place did me well. I wish I could have enjoyed it more.

The first stop we made was our old high school. Kris and I said our thank you's to old teachers and friends. Most of them graduated or were no longer teaching but some siblings were still there, it was a big high school after all.

After the visiting the school we visit our old favorite spots to hang. The ice cream parlor on the other side of town, the park by our houses where we would grab a bunch of our friends and play baseball at, even the hometown restaurant Kris and I had our first date in. It was all just as I remembered it and the nostalgia was strong.

Finally I pull up to a nice two story house, it had light blue siding and white window shades. There was a American flag waving proudly in the front yard and it sat quietly on this calm Vegas day.

"You don't have to do this" Kris whispers as I look the house over.

"I do Kris. I need to be able to move on and that is impossible to do if I'm still hanging onto the past. I have to go in there" I insist. I get out the car and he follows me to the door.

"We'll do it together. You and me, just like always" he says lacing his fingers through mine. I knock on the door with my free hand and my mom answers with a smile. I didn't even know she was back in town, then again a lot could have happened since I last left.

"Oh my god, little Kayla is that you" she asks.

"Yeah, it's me" I say with a small smile. She pulls me into a hug and I smell the alcohol on her. Actually the whole house reeked of the substance.

"I heard you got hurt are you okay" she asks and I scoff.

"I'm fine, not that you actually cared" I snap back. It was habit I guess.

"Are you really going to start this" she asks.

"You know what mom, yeah. I am. I needed you. I needed you when one of my teachers asked me where all the bruises where coming from and I couldn't tell her it was from my drunk father because for some reason I always tried to protect you guys. I needed you when I started high school and had no idea what I was doing because all the girls wore make up and I barley knew how to dress myself. I needed you when I got drafted to play professional baseball and wanted advice from someone who should care about me. And I needed you when I died in that ambulance in Chicago. But when I woke up Kris and Sue and Mike where there and you weren't. I know they told you what happened and I know you figured trying to fix things with my dad was so much more fucking important. So yeah, I am going to start this" I yell.

"Why are you so ungrateful? You turned out more than fine" she defends.

"It's not about the destination mom, it's about the journey. All of what I am is in spite of you. I got good grades and excelled in every aspect of life just to hear a good job or a I'm proud of you but I'm not even sure you're capable of saying that. You gave me money, that's it. And I'm sorry to tell you this, but money will only get you so far in life, it can't buy you happiness. But I'm sure you've figured that out by now" I say dryly. Her face falls as my words soak into her skin. She looks for something to say but words won't do it justice. She grabs her things and hops in the car before driving away. Why she always runs away from her problems is beyond me, but I'm done trying to get her approval. The only approval I need is from me. And I was going to get it. I walk upstairs to my old room to find it just as I left it. Dusty, but untouched.

"Are you crazy? What are you doing" Kris asks following me into my room.

"Yes, and I'm looking for something" I say searching through my old stuff. I look through my cloths and papers and couldn't seem to find it anywhere. Then I look on my bed and find one of Kris' old jerseys on it and my yearbook from high school. I pick up the jersey then set it over my shoulder and pick up the book before tucking it under my arm. I crawl out my window and sit on the roof before opening the cover to the yearbook. I had put a picture of the team hanging out on the bus in the cover so I pull it out.

"Hey I remember that" Kris say sitting next to me.

"You wanna know my favorite part of being on that baseball team" I ask.

"What" he wonders.

"Being a part of such a special group, being a part of something so amazing. We were like a family, we had each other's backs and always messed with on another, but we all just loved to play the game. My favorite part of the season senior year wasn't going undefeated or winning state, it was being a part of a special group of people. You guys made me feel important, like you wanted me there. Something that this house never provided for me. That team was everything I needed, I wish it didn't take me so long to realize that" I sigh.

"But look at you now, you're still a part of a amazing team. The guys are lost without you. I need you so much more than I like to admit, our kid needs you. You're still a part of so many great things, I promise you that. Your mom, she won't let things get better but that doesn't mean you should. I know you wanted your mom for so many things but she just doesn't get it. But I can't stand the fact she makes you like this, I still remember the nights sitting up here worried sick that she would push you too far. Your sky is still full of stars and even though you can't see them right now, they're still up there shining bright as ever waiting for the right time to show themselves to you" he says brushing piece of hair out of my face. I look at the picture of a young Kris and I, every team picture he always seemed to find me. That girl in the picture was the product of hurt, the girl who sits on the roof today is the product of love. I'm tired of not accepting love because I'm waiting for love from my parents. If I keep that up I'll be waiting forever, I don't need it.

"I'm ready" I announce and he looks at me weirdly.

"Ready for what exactly" he asks.

"Ready to lose sight of that green light. It didn't end too well for Gatsby right? I don't need this family because I'm making one of my own" I smile. He nods and we return inside. I stuff that picture in my pocket and grab a few more things before leaving that house for the last time. I look back and try to remember the good times, all the team bonding and pool parties I held there, it wasn't all bad. But as for my future, it's no good. We drive a few feet to his house where we're welcomed with the love of his family and the smell of turkey. This is something I can invest in, real and true love. This is the love I always felt I deserved.