7| Seperate Ways

Kris

February comes around and that means prom was next month. I decided on going with a bunch of guys from the baseball team, I couldn't go with any girl that wasn't McKayla anyway. In the meantime I had to decide on which college I would go to. I had a bunch of baseball scholarships to colleges around the country and a 4.0 gpa, I wasn't worried if I would get into college but if I would go into the right one. Time was running out and there was a lot of pressure on me. But it's hard to worry about college when you're still worried about high school. I sit in my room studying for a AP chem exam tomorrow when there's a knock on the door.

"Kris, I'm cleaning right now, could you get that" my mom yells out. I close my book and head down to the door. I open it to see McKayla standing there with tears staining her face. Her hair was a mess and she looked so sad, my heart immediately sank.

"Oh my god, what happened" I ask. Panic sets in immediately and I wasn't sure what to do. I've seen her cry before, but never like this.

"Kyle and I broke up" she stutters and I pull her into a hug. I rub her back until to the sobs calm then pull her into my room.

"What happened" I ask.

"He was over at my house and we were watching tv. Everything was fine until he randomly asked where I was on New Years. I wasn't going to lie to him, I promised that I will never tell a lie and I wasn't going to start today, so I told him I was with you and your family in Chicago. He got upset when he heard that and we started to argue. I told him why I was so close to you, it was always more than baseball. You are my muse, my go to, my better half. He asked why I never went to him when I had problems and I told him about my family. About how my mom has been gone since October, even though things have been better than her being here, and how my dad was a drunken abusive ass hole. He didn't believe me, he said I only used that as a excuse to see you. So when he asked me to choose between him and you... well I'm sure you can figure out what happened after that" she sniffles.

"I'm going to kill him" I announce standing up and she pulls me back down.

"Please don't make this harder than it already is. Okay? Because if I have any other problems in my life I'm going to lose it. I've already lost my mom and Kyle, I can't lose you too" she begs. I let out a sigh and run my fingers through my hair. I wasn't sure what to do. On one hand I should be happy because this means we can finally be together, but on the other hand it might be too late. She turns her attention to the stacks of papers on my desk and looks through them.

"Have you decided where you're going to school at" she asks looking through all the scholarship offers.

"Ummm no. Somewhere out here. What about you" I ask.

"I'm getting far away from here. Besides you there's no reason for me to stay. You're going places Kris. I promise you that. But I'm afraid I won't be going there with you" she says quietly. It actually broke my heart to hear that.

"It doesn't have to be like that. You can come with me. I'll go with you" I suggest. I didn't want to lose her.

"I can't be out here, I just can't. I've done everything in my power to take what's given to me and turn it into something positive. But I won't play baseball in college and I can't keep living this way. I need a fresh start, I need to find out my purpose. You... you're going to do great regardless where you go. You're made for success, your family will be behind you a hundred percent. Following me won't work either, I need time and space to figure out who I really am. Why I get to grace this world with my presence and what I did to deserve someone like you. I don't want you waiting on me or giving something up to be with me. I'm a small part of your seemingly bright future. Wherever you go success will follow because you're that great of a guy, but I don't want you following me around when everything you need is right here. And no matter where you go I'll be cheering you on, I will always be your biggest fan. I'm always on your side. Then one day when you're in the MLB I can brag to all my friends that you've saved my ass so many times" she laughs.

"I wish it didn't have to be like this" I whisper as she rests her head on my shoulder while she sit on the edge of my bed. She meant the world to me and I'm not sure what I thought we would do after high school. I thought it would always be Breezy and Mac, but I guess it doesn't work like that. We sit in silence as I grab her hand and rub little circles on the back of it.

"Do you want to go to prom with me" I ask and her head shoots up. She looks into my eyes and grows a smile.

"I would love to go to prom with you" she replied and I feel my stomach flip. I know that we wouldn't be more than friends but friends go to prom together. We can do that.

"Do you have a dress" I ask.

"Yeah, and it's white so whatever you're wearing will be fine" she assures me. We sit silently for a while before she breaks the silence.

"Where do you think you'll play professional baseball at" she asks.

"I'm not sure, I'm not even in college yet. I know I want to be a high draft pick so probably a sucky ass team. But a team with a lot of hope. They'll bring me in to turn a mediocre team into a team of champions. I want the people to put their faith in me, I want them to think of me as their savior. No matter where I end up just I want to be the best. Period" I explain.

"And you will be" she replies.

"How do you know" I ask.

"Because I know you. You can't seem to do any wrong. We've been best friends for what, seven years. Not once have I even complained about you or fought with you. You're a guy who I would trust my life with, I often times do. You are extremely intelligent and passionate and talented. Do you know how many girls in the classes I'm in drool over you. Like actual drool. It's crazy" she laughs.

"Yeah, but none of them are the girl I care about" I mention.

"You're too good for me, you know that right" she wonders.

"You can't possibly think that is true, do you" I ask.

"Kind of" she shrugs.

"Kayla... you're the coolest person I've ever met. You're the only girl in high school to play on a baseball team let alone win a state title. You pitched a shut out and hit a home run in the championship game. You're the head of almost every club and association at school while having straight A's in the hardest classes offered. Not to mention you're doing all this without support from your parents. No one else can say that. Don't sell yourself short, you're great" I defend.

"I am pretty awesome aren't I" she jokes.

"You are. Now how about some chicken pot pies and home made brownies" I ask.

"I'd say lets do this shit."

That night we stayed up all night talking about our futures. They were different and it sucks we won't be together anymore but I loved listening to her dreams. And when it was my turn to talk she hung on my every word. I'm blessed to have her and I wasn't ready to say goodbye.