56| Thankful

Kris

Thanksgiving is tomorrow and I was sent out to get last minute things... cranberries, some more sugar, iced tea, the actual turkey. I decide to bring Kenzie with me so she can pick out some toys and McKayla can get some sleep. She's been trying to talk some more and it's the cutest things ever. Her little blonde curls sit on top of her head with a little bow my mom put in it. I stroll up and down the isles picking out what I need with a little help from her.

"Alright, picking the right turkey is crucial" I explain to her as she listens intently.

"It can't be too big because it won't cook all the way through, but if it's too small not everyone eats" I reiterate. She looks at the rows of turkeys and point to a random one.

"You know what, I think you're right. That turkey is perfect" I agree picking it up. I set it in the cart and attempt to move but run into someone.

"I am so sorry" I say backing up.

"It's okay... Kris" they ask. I look up and see a guy my age. He had brown curly hair and deep blue eyes. He was well built and looked mighty familiar.

"Kyle" I ask as he smiles and nods.

"Yeah, it's me" he announces. Wow. Haven't seen him in a second.

"Nice to see you again. How have you been" I wonder.

"Pretty good. Not as good as you obviously. Congratulations by the way, and I'm sure you'll add MVP to your title soon enough."

"That's good, and I hope so. That would be really cool for us Vegas kids."

"Yeah... it definitely would be. Listen, I know we kind of left on bad terms but I didn't want it to be like that. I just hated admitting that McKayla liked me but loved you. I knew what was happening bust wanted to keep her for myself. I started getting jealous and it wasn't anything you were doing wrong. I just knew she was special and knew that I didn't want to lose her. But she's at her best when she's around you and I knew I had to let her go so she would figure out that you were the one for her, you always were."

"I appreciate that. If it makes you feel any better she was really torn up after you two broke up."

"It's kind of does. Knowing I was a part of her life like that. But I see you guys are still going strong."

"Yeah, when she came back into my life last year I thought it was a dream. But she found her way back to me like she promised."

"She always keeps her promises. And is that your daughter" he asks.

"Yeah, this is McKenzie" I say and she tries to speak for herself. I catch up with him and he's actually really laid back now. For the longest time this guy hated my guts but I always knew Kyle was a nice guy, I was just on the wrong end for a while. But now has a girlfriend he met in college and moved back here to coach the high school football team. After a little we say our goodbyes and he tells me to give my best to McKayla.

Once I get home I see Kayla is up helping my parents prepare for dinner. It was just going to be us so it shouldn't be too hard.

"Hey baby, how was she in the grocery store" McKayla asks picking her up and placing her on her hip.

"She was good, only put like ten things in her mouth" I laugh and she rolls her eyes.

"You'll never guess who I saw" I continue and she stood still for a second.

"Who" she wonders.

"Kyle" I respond and she stops.

"Oh, what did he say?"

"He asked how you were doing. He explained why he did what he did."

"Yeah... I kind of figured that out in high school" she sighs.

"Do you miss him" I ask a little afraid to know the answer.

"No, it's just... when I was around him there was no problems. He didn't know about my parents so we acted like I had a normal life. He was a safety blanket for so long, that's why I didn't want to tell him what was happening. But I would rather go through the worst with you than the best with him" she finishes with a smile. I pull her and Kenzie into a hug and kiss them each.

"I love you guys."

"We love you too."

As the day goes on the house smells better and better. We watch football and enjoy some peace and quiet for the first time since spring training. Eventually it comes time to eat so we all make our plates and gather around the dinner table.

"I want us to start the meal by saying what we're thankful for" my mom starts.

"I would like to say that I for one, am thankful for rain delays" my dad says causing us all to chuckle.

"Mike" my mom warns and the snickers cease.

"I guess besides rain delays I'm thankful for history. Everything that's been building up for 108 years that made what happen so special" he says a little more seriously.

"I'm thankful for kindness. To not only be a part of a great thing but a part of a great group of people to experience it with" my mom says.

"I'm thankful for our baby girl. She grows up every day and I get to watch it with my own eyes. And sharing this experience with the one I love most... that's the best part" McKayla says smiling up at me.

"Im thankful my best friend agreed to spend the rest of her life with me. Every day I wake up and tell myself that it can't get any better but it always does. You prove to me that there's no such thing as perfect because it can always gets better. I can always get better" I smile. We let McKenzie say her thanks where she babbles for a minute straight and we all act like we have a clue of what she's saying. After that we all get to enjoy the home cooked meal and laugh off anything and everything. Then we return to the couch to watch some football and for once not think about baseball.

"What do you say we hit the cages, for old times sake" McKayla offers.

... How was I supposed to say no?

"We have Kenzie, you kids go have some fun" my dad says and I nod. We each grab a bat and head out back into the cages.

First swing she takes the ball is sent straight up into the net like it always did. She crushed every ball she made contact with, no exceptions.

"Still got it" I smile and she sends me a wink. We spend hours out in the hot Vegas sun hitting balls and chirping each other. It felt like we were back in high school, not a care in the world because we were with each other and that was good enough. But this time she doesn't have to leave me. This time when I go to bed she will be next to me and I don't have to worry if she's safe or not, because I will do anything in my power to make sure she is.