Chapter 3

I guess that ripping the head of the body was not exactly what the werewolves were expecting me to do. And maybe I should have done it after some preamble or something, because they seemed quite shock, and I really needed to think it through more I realized. But it seems I realized it a little late, as I currently found myself lying on the ground with a heavy wolf pressing his front paws down on my back. I struggled to breathe because darn, wolves are heavy creatures.

"Susan!" I could hear Rose screaming and yelling at the Alpha to get the Beta off me, but I shut her voice off since I was more preoccupied with getting air into my suffocating lungs.

"Wait," the now familiar voice caught my attention, even in the state that I found myself in. Why did the Alpha manage to get my attention? I have no idea. "Andrew get off her." The Beta, Andrew apparently, got off me causing sweet air to finally get into my lungs. I turned over to lay on my back when the Alpha decides to speak once again, "Hunter get over here."

I groan and stand up muttering under my breath, "I'm not a Hunter." I stood in front of the Alpha and a now released Rose, smiling at her. The Alpha, however, seems to not like being ignored, "What is the meaning of this, Hunter." He asked me holding the head that I had ripped off the body less than a minute ago.

The head, which I'm sure they expected to be dripping with blood and gore, instead has wires coming out of it. I look down at the body and see even more wires coming out of his neck. I look back at Rose and see her trying not to giggle at the confused look the Alpha had. Though in my opinion, he seems more angry than confused. Darn it, this Alpha either has anger issues or the full moon is really getting to him.

"He's a robot, Mr. Alpha." I said tiredness obvious in my voice. I did not want to explain the situation behind the robot, the present situation was taxing enough.

"Why is he a robot, Hunter?" I sighed when I heard him call me Hunter again. Did I not prove that I wasn't a Hunter? Though I was thinking about becoming one if these werewolves didn't let me leave and go home.

"With all due respect sir, my friend and I are very tired and would appreciate if you would kindly let us go home and rest. I think that we have proven that we mean you and your pack no harm and that we are not Hunters." I quickly turned my head to look at Rose who had just spoken. I've known Rose for a while and knew that she never spoke that way, not even to my grandmother who raised her. Rose just smiled at the Alpha and walked over to me and grabbed my hand. She started walking away, dragging me with her. I felt a tugging in my stomach, an uncomfortable feeling that told me not to leave.

Confused I turned my head around to look behind me, in case I had forgotten something important that would cause me to feel this way. I met the eyes of the Alpha and in that moment something inside of me clicked in place. My body felt light, like if I would jump I would fly and never come back down to the ground, and I felt... complete.  Like all the missing pieces of my life finally came together,  like my whole life has led up to this precise moment, the moment when I would meet the eyes of the Alpha.

I could see that he was feeling the same thing as me and as his eyes flashed and recognition crossed his face, I turned my head away. We had already reached the edge of the woods and the wolves moved away for us to pass, an untrusting look in their eyes which I ignored as I tightened my grip on Rose's hand and ran into the woods.

What the heck Luce? Why are we running like hellhounds are after us? Rose's voice came through our link. I didn't look back at her and kept running as I answered her.

The Alpha's my mate. I heard her gasp behind and felt her tug her hand away from mine. I was worried for a second that she was going to stop, but instead she ran even faster.

Well stop being so slow. Granny runs faster than you do. Her light teasing actually caused me to smile, which I thought would be impossible in this situation. I picked up my pace and caught up to her. We were almost across the territory line of the werewolves when a howl cut through the night.

I looked at Rose and I could see the recognition in her eyes as she realized the same thing that I did. It was a claiming howl, the Alpha had met his mate and accepted her. It was usually done to signify the end of a mating ceremony and tell the pack that they had an official Luna. But in certain cases it was also done when the Alpha's mate ran away, to let the mate know that he would chase her. That there was no escape and that sooner or later she would become his. It would mark the start of the hunt for her, letting his pack know that they had a Luna and she would be coming home very soon.

Not that Alpha's mate ran away all that often, in fact the last time it had happen was probably when my grandmother was my age. Considering the fact that my grandmother is almost 200 years old, that is quite long ago. The bond between an Alpha and his mate is undeniable, the need to be together when they first met has been compared to the need to breathe after holding one's breath too long.

But an Alpha's mate was almost always another werewolf, that way it could be ensured that their children would be strong enough to take care of the pack. The amount of times that an Alpha has been mated to another species throughout history can be counted in one hand, and the other species was always human. So why the heck was I mated to him?