22. Look what I found

Wow, even with finals I'm still on top of these updates. Let's just call it what it is...

I'm amazing.

Though it might have something to do with the fact that I have the easiest final schedule ever. I might end up finishing this whole book sooner than I thought.

Thirteen's POV

You could hear a pin drop it's that quiet.

They all look at me and Devin shifts nervously on his feet. I can tell he's regretting asking me. I let out a tired sigh.

"The hike took longer than it should've." I start, taking my backpack from Devin and beginning to go through it. "Sun's going to set in an hour tops. I'd start getting your sleeping bags and such out now. We'll have to search through the building in the morning."

I pull out a flashlight from my bag along with a few extra knives. You can never be too careful.

"Where are you going?" Chase asks softly. I look up from the backpack to him.

"Don't worry about it," I say simply and turn and walk off down the hallway leading away from that room and into what used to be a storage room.

"We're going to die aren't we?"

I walk around one of the giant concrete pillars used to hold this building up, stopping next to another one...stained with blood.

"No. We're going to be fine, just stay awake alright?"

"You're a terrible liar."

"You'd be happy to know I've gotten better at that," I mutter quietly under my breath. I shake my head, trying to remove the memories, her voice from my head as I stare at the pillar.

"Or maybe you should just leave without me."

"Not happening."

I walk around the pillar to the staircase and walk up, slowly. Half out of caution, half because of my leg.

"You'd stand a better chance without me and-"

"It. Is. Not. Happening."

I walk across the empty floor till I'm standing underneath a hole in the ceiling, and I can see the sky above me. Everything's dark inside the building...but not as dark as I know it can get.

"I swear if you don't go now, I'll shoot you myself. Now go."

I walk around to the other end of the large room, my feet kicking at pieces of the ceiling and other random objects that have spent way too long here. I notice a long metal pipe in the corner. Perfect.

"You come any closer...and I'll shoot her."

I lift it up in my hands and turn it over a few times, banging it against the wall once to see how sturdy it is. This will work just fine.

"Last chance. Drop it."

I grip the end of the pipe tightly in both hands. I'll probably end up tearing through the stitches in my arm because of this. But this won't take too much effort since the whole building is basically already crumbling to begin with.

The blood runs down his face in a small trickle as he collapses, his eyes burning into mine as the life fades from him.

Eighty-three's gone.

"Please don't do this."

I raise the pipe high in my hands before slamming it back down into the floor below me, pieces of the floor cracking and flying upwards.