Chapter 13

~Coral~

Things weren't the same after I got out of the hospital. Blake wasn't the easy going guy I grew attached to. Sure we still made conversations, but not as carefree as we used to have. 

After a long month of sudying, I finally graduated from community college. I got a certificate in photography and I would have loved to move on to a university, but there was no way I would come up with the money to pay for my classes. And with the whole falcon business, I had zero percent chance of accomplishing this dream.

I haven't heard from my parents (no surprise there). I often find myself thinking about them and try to think about the very little good times we had, which also made me cry because now they abandoned me because they were being prosecuted with not a care in the world for their daughter's safety.

Ernie came to visit me every day since the hospital. It was awkward knowing that I had probably embarrased him in front of the entire neighborhood, but I was glad he came, I felt guilty and needed to apologize to him. I missed my best friend. 

The day after I woke up in the hospital he came with a bunch of dandelions in a vase. I smiled at him and took the dandelions inhaling their sweet fragrance. I thanked him as he took them from me and  set them down on the table  next to me.

 "how are you feeling" he asked. I looked at him and gave him my best sarcastic look. Ernie sighed in defeat "I guess I should have seen that one coming" The silence grew more awkward and after a feew minutes, Ernie broke the fog "Coral I want you to know how sorry I am. It's all my fault"

I shook my head "It's ok really. It only made me realize how much of a coward I am. I need to stand up for myself and be stronger" Ernie shook his head chuckling to himself "You are not a coward. I'd be in the same state if I lost my Abuela like that and you know how much she means to me."

I nodded my head in agreement. Ernie's grandmother meant everything to him. By joining the gang, he had to do everything in his power to protect her from harm. I guess by leaving me he was only thinking about her "Ernie I'm really sorry for not thinking about her. I'm so selfish"  

"No it's ok Coral. Abuela and I are leaving anyway" Leaving? I asked him "Where are you going?"

"The guys bought her a home out in Hawaii with their families. She'll be safer there and Royal Jesters won't get to us so easy. It's forbidden territory for them."

"Well that's good, but what about Fal-" I was inturupted by the nurse coming through the door.

"I'm sorry sir but visiting hours are over" I frowned at the thought of staying in the hospital by myself. Ernie stood up from the chair and politely thanked the nurse "I guess I'll see you later then Coral." I nodded "Bye"

Before he went out the door he placed a box on the table "Good luck and whatever you do, be careful." Once he was gone I took the box from the table. It was a foam box like the ones used for engagement rings and I opened it, only to find it empty. Disapointed, I put the box back and went to sleep.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Now, as I sat in my room in Mrs Elizabeth's house, I couldn't help but wonder what he put in that box. He never said anything about it and i kept it safely hidden in a drawer. I never told Blake or Mrs Elizabeth about it because I didn't want them to go detective on me with it. I was currently alone at the house, courtesy of a new high and tight alarm system inserted throught the entire house. There were cameras in every room and hallway and sensor detectors at every window and door, so anyone who got near them, the sensors wouldn't recognize them and the alarm would sound and the police or some agent would be at the house within minutes.