Chapter 5: Jayheart's Choice

I woke up the next morning feeling refreshed and ready to do some Medicine Cat things. But that's when I realized Jayheart wasn't in the den. I got up, stretched and padded out into the clearing.

Snowstar was talking with Icystorm, Icepaw and Oceanpaw were walking towards the camp entrance with their mentors, Wavepool was leading Lightkit and Blackkit with her tail towards the Nursery, and yet there was no sign of Jayheart.

"Frostmeadow!" I turned on my heels when I heard someone calling out for me. Whitefrost rushed over to me quickly and I could see something was worrying him.

"What's wrong Whitefrost?"

"It's Jayheart! Come quickly!" I rushed with him to the ravine that had been off limits for a long time since an accident from before I was born.

Jayheart was standing right on the edge looking down at the water far below.

"Jayheart!" I called out and he turned his head with a sad smile on his face.

"Frostmeadow, I had heard from Lightwish that when the gently meadow returns the jay's wing will fall to the sea." I knew what it meant.

"No Jayheart! I can't be this Clan's Medicine Cat by myself. I need you!" I cried out as I felt tears in my eyes.

"You are strong and independent Frostmeadow. You will do wonderful things. I know you will. Please know that no matter what happens I will always love you." The rocks started to collapse underneath his feet. I saw then what I didn't notice before. Frostclaw was laying away from the rocks unconscious. He had a gash on his side from one of the rocks. I looked between him and Jayheart.

"Jayheart..." His grayish black fur started to disappear over the edge of the ravine. I rushed to Frostclaw's side and started by checking to see if he had any other wounds. There was nothing, the gash on his side wasn't that deep so he probably had just passed out from the pain and not blood loss.

"Whitefrost I need help!" I called out and he rushed over helping me lift Frostclaw so we could carry him back to the camp. I heard gasps as we came inside.

"What happened?!" Snowstar exclaimed.

"Not sure, Jayheart was at the ravine...Frostclaw must have fallen on one of the rocks and Jayheart saved him from falling, but he..." I trailed off. "He didn't make it... he fell over the ravine..." I muttered quietly.

"He's dead...?" Icystorm muttered.

"Yes." I set Frostclaw down and rushed to the Medicine Cat Den grabbing some poppy seeds, and some leafs. I rushed back to Frostclaw and tended to his wound quickly. He slowly opened his eyes.

"Frostmeadow..."

"Don't talk you're in pain, you're safe now. Jayheart saved you. Eat these they will help with the pain." He slowly ate the poppy seeds. Riverbreeze rushed into the camp with Oceanpaw.

"How is he?!" She asked worried as she stared at her brother on the ground.

"He'll live." I said lightly. She breathed a sigh of relief.

"That's wonderful news, but where's Jayheart? Shouldn't he be working on him too?" I frowned and looked down.

"Jayheart died saving your brother from falling over the ravine." I explained. She gasped.

"I...I didn't know...Frostmeadow I'm so sorry..." I looked down at Frostclaw.

"Whitefrost, Riverbreeze please bring him to the Medicine Cat Den. I'll take care of him." They carefully picked him up and carried him away.

"Frostmeadow." Snowstar said lightly.

"He knew...he knew I was going to leave and he knew that the second I returned he would die..."

"He told you?"

"Yes...I was a fool to think I could ever get away from the messages the stars hold...instead I'm made to suffer with a permanent injury, separated family and no one to look to for guidance." I padded away from her and to the den. Frostclaw was breathing heavily.

"Please save my brother." Riverbreeze pleaded to me as her and Whitefrost left.

"It's my job now to protect and help my clan. Without Jayheart...I'm truly alone..." I sat down beside Frostclaw.

For the first time in a long time...what am I suppose to do? Jayheart why did you leave me? Why did you have to go and die? I don't know what to do without you here? You were all I had left...

Tears streamed down my face as I stared at the ground.

"I don't know what to do..."