Chapter 7: Friend?

I walked out of the den as Frostclaw looked at me with the sad pathetic expression on his face. I wasn't really sure why he cared so much about me. I shivered, but I saw Snowstar coming towards me from her den.

"Frostmeadow, how is Frostclaw doing?" I shrugged my shoulders.

"He'll live. He is very chatty though..." I muttered.

"He blames himself doesn't he?" I nodded. "He shouldn't, it wasn't his fault about what happened to Jayheart."

"I know that...he doesn't believe me, probably because..." I trailed off and looked back at the den. Riverbreeze was coming out and I noticed a sad expression on her face.

"Frostmeadow?" I turned my attention to Icystorm who looked worried as he padded over.

"What's wrong?" I asked confused.

"It's Lightkit and Blackkit, they were in the Nursery with Wavepool, but when she went to see if there was something they might want to eat they ran off." I froze.

"I'll go and look, it won't take me long." I stated and rushed towards the camp entrance. Icystorm came to my side and we both went around looking everywhere for these kits. How could they have run off this far? I wondered to myself.

I immediately stopped when I picked up the scent that was undoubtedly Lightkit's. It led into Nightclan territory.

"Icystorm, go and get Whitefrost and Riverbreeze." He raced off and I crossed the border quickly.

"What do we have here?" I heard a female voice in the trees nearby.

"I know Lightkit and Blackkit came across the border, give them back." I hissed sharply.

"You mean this kit?" A black tabby she-cat with blue eyes jumped from the tree with Lightkit in her jaws. She was shaking as she struggled to get out of her grip.

"Let her go." I said firmly.

"Or what?"

"You really want to do this?" I hissed.

"Maybe I do...chosen cat." I knew immediately what that meant.

"You were trained by the Black Forest."

"That's right, so what are you going to do if I kill this kit like I killed Blackkit?" I froze in pure shock and horror. There was no lying in her eyes. I stared into the darkness in her blue eyes. I saw the quick and hopefully painless death of Blackkit. I pounced and knocked her away from Lightkit. I quickly picked up Lightkit and raced across the border, but she followed close behind. My leg was aching. That's when a black pelt jumped over me, on top of her. I turned sharply and saw Frostclaw fighting with her.

"Frostclaw?!"

"Stay back, just get Lightkit home!" He hissed.

"Lightkit, go home we aren't far." She nodded and rushed back in the direction of the camp. I jumped on top of the she-cat. I bit down hard on her shoulder. She yowled out in pain, threw me and Frostclaw off of her and she ran off. Disappearing into thin air.

"The Black Forest cats are working independently now without Hawkstar..." I muttered and I collapsed to the ground. I was panting heavily as I thought about Blackkit's death. I felt tears stream down my face.

"What's wrong?" Frostclaw asked worried at the tears.

"Blackkit is dead...She killed her..." He froze and we padded back to camp together. Icystorm was wrapped around Lightkit as we walked inside. He looked up at me hopefully.

"Where is Blackkit?" I frowned.

"The Black Forest cats...one of them attacked Blackkit and...killed her." I muttered and Icystorm let out a wail of pain. I looked away and felt like I had failed my cousin. I wish there was more I could have done for him.

"Did she feel any..."

"From what I saw in her eyes, no...she went peacefully." He nodded and took Lightkit to the Nursery to tell Wavepool the news.

She wailed in pain and sadness as well from inside the Nursery. I looked at the ground and stretched my bad leg out.

"Why was I born with this stupid limp?!" I yelled. "I could have gotten there faster, I could have saved Blackkit!" I rushed away to the Medicine Cat Den feeling like crap. I curled up in my nest and stared at my limp leg. It was bent in an odd angle and it never was able to completely stretch straight out.

"Frostmeadow?" I turned my attention away from my stupid leg to see Frostclaw standing there.

I said nothing as he came in and laid back down in the nest he had been in for two days.

"Aren't you going to get mad at me for leaving the den?" He asked confused. I shook my head.

"If it hadn't been for you then I would have been dead along with Lightkit." I explained and looked at my leg sadly.

"Frostmeadow, you can't blame yourself for what happened to Blackkit. There was nothing you could have done even if you had gotten there faster." I sighed and looked at him harshly.

"Why are you trying so hard to get me to like you?" I asked suddenly.

"It's not that...I just think you should understand that you're valuable for this clan. We wouldn't know what to do without you, Frostmeadow." He explained and it shocked me for a second.

"Frostclaw...you're side is fine, you're free to go back to hunting, but stay out of fights for another couple of days." I stated and turned away from him again.

"Will you let me help you until I'm better?" He asked.

"You want to be trained?" I asked confused.

"Yes, so in case you have to go to the Mooncrystal someone knows how to help the clan while you're gone."

"Fine." I said after thinking it over for a minute or so.

"Thank you." He got to his feet and padded out of the den.

What is it about Frostclaw that irks me so much? He doesn't listen to anything I say when I tell him to stay he goes off and does his own thing.