Chapter 24: A New Litter Is Born

Moonlight's POV

After several more moons I was getting ready to have my kits. They were kicking a lot more these days and Skystar had restricted me to staying in the nursery until they were born. It was pretty boring being unable to do anything, but I sucked it up. 

Breezestorm was out on a patrol when I felt a sharp pain in my stomach. I cried out and Skyheart who had been walking by rushed in.

"What's wrong?" She asked concerned.

"There's a sharp pain in my stomach." I whimpered. She checked me over and I saw a startled look come on to her face.

"You're going into labor, I'll be back!" She rushed out and came back a few moments later with herbs and Swiftfur.

"What am I supposed to do?" He asked surprised.

"Help me!" She said sharply. I cried out now as Skyheart told me to push and breath. It felt like hours when I felt the agonizing pain disappear. I heard some small mews as I looked down at three healthy beautiful kits.

"There's two girls and a boy." Skyheart said happily. She pointed the boy out to me which had black fur just like Breezestorm. The girls had silver fur with amber eyes.

"The boy should be Frostkit. And the two girls Robinkit and Lilykit." I said gently not deciding to wait for Breezestorm to name them. I heard someone calling out to me as Skyheart went out of the den with Swiftfur. Breezestorm came back in a second later and he looked down at the little bundles with joy in his eyes.

"They're all healthy?" I nodded once smiling at him. "Their names?"

"Frostkit, your son and your daughters Robinkit and Lilykit." He smiled down at them and then licked my head.

"They're beautiful just like their mother." I chuckled lightly and wrapped my tail around them protectively.

"I will make sure they stay safe." He laid down beside me.

"We will make sure they stay safe." I nodded and closed my eyes to sleep after that long stretch of pain.

They're beautiful, Moonlight. I hope you will watch over them like I watch over you now.

I heard my sister's voice as I slowly drifted to sleep. I knew she was happy for me, but I heard some sadness dripping from her voice. I knew it killed her that she couldn't have kits and she couldn't be here to see my kits for herself.

I promise to protect them with my life, Frostmeadow.