Chapter 9: Love for the Code?

I woke up the next morning to see Frostclaw standing in the den going through the herbs. I was confused by his actions, but he looked as if he was looking for something particular.

"Frostclaw? What's wrong?" I asked getting to my feet.

"Remember I'm doing your job for you today." I had completely forgotten about it.

"Oh that's right, well thank you for that. I'm going to grab something to eat, do you want anything?" He shook his head smiling.

"I ate a little bit ago." I went out into the clearing to see that Lightkit was waiting for me with Wavepool and Icystorm at her side.

"Can I help you?" I asked politely.

"I..." Lightkit started but trailed off as if she was nervous about something.

"It's okay Lightkit, whatever you want to ask me go right ahead." I said smiling at her.

"I want to train to be a Medicine Cat when I reach six moons." She stated.

"Really?" I asked warmly feeling almost happy that she was so determined already.

"Yes, please will you take me on as your apprentice Frostmeadow?" I looked between her parents.

"Of course I would have to speak to Snowstar about it, but I would be honor to have you as my apprentice." I said gently. She started jumping around happily.

"Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!" I giggled with her parents. Wavepool and Lightkit padded away but Icystorm stayed. I felt my tail starting to droop.

"I'm sorry." He said suddenly. "I blamed you for Blackkit's death, I was blinded by my heart ache. You're Lightwish's daughter, you would never do anything to harm anyone in this clan, especially Blackkit. So please forgive me, Frostmeadow." I raised a paw on his shoulder.

"I never once was upset by what you said to me, I blamed myself too, but I realize now I have to live for my clan. Jayheart and Blackkit would have wanted that." I explained and we both touched noses.

"This clan is blessed to have a Medicine Cat like you." He padded away with that and I turned to see Frostclaw helping Icepaw.

"Is Icepaw alright?" I asked Oceanpaw as he padded over.

"Yeah she has a stomach ache, Frostclaw is helping her."

"What is he using?"

"Catmint and poppy seeds." I sighed with relief.

I shouldn't be so worried he got every question right. I walked to the fresh kill pile and grabbed a squirrel.

"Frostmeadow, I heard from Icystorm that Lightkit wants to be your apprentice." Snowstar said as I plopped down.

"Yes."

"What do you think?"

"I have no objections with it, I think she will make a fine apprentice." I said gently.

"Then when she turns six moons old she will become your apprentice." Snowstar stated and padded away to speak with Whitefrost.

I chewed the squirrel quickly as I continued to watch Frostclaw as he went to everyone in the clan asking if they needed anything.

I smiled a little knowing that if I left the camp everyone would be well taken care of once Lightkit was an apprentice there would be double the help. Frostclaw bee-lined towards me and I looked at him confused as he stopped in front of me panting.

"It's a tough job isnt it?" I giggled and he nodded plopping down beside me.

"I don't know how you and Jayheart did it without complaining." I chuckled.