Chapter 16: Leaving the Tribe Behind

The next morning I woke up to my paw feeling so much better. I stood up and there was no pain whatsoever. I padded out into the clearing and saw Gray talking with all the leaders. When he saw me padding over he smiled.

"Petals told me your paw was better. So I believe you are travel ready. I was just preparing your leaders for what lies ahead. We will help you to the edge of the mountains but from there you are on your own." I nodded lightly.

"Thank you Gray."

"Of course." We left the tribe behind as we followed Breeze, Stream and another black tomcat I didn't know the name of. It took maybe half a day to get to the edge of the mountains. The Tribe cats stopped and looked back at us.

"This is as far as we go. From here you have to go alone. We wish you luck with finding your new home." Stream said. I nodded at him.

"Thank you for everything." We started walking and I saw Moonlight frowning. Her tail and ears were drooped.

"Moonlight..." She looked at me and gave a small smile.

"It's for the best..." I saw Breeze standing there, staring after her with longing in his eyes. I stopped and looked at him firmly.

"If it's what you want then come. Follow what your heart tells you Breeze!" I called out and everyone turned. Breeze stared at me shocked. "I know what you want. I always have, I won't tell you how not yet at least. Come if that is what your heart tells you." I stated. He looked at his friends, who nodded with smiles on their faces. He bounced after us and immediately Moonlight perked up.

"Looks like Airclan has a new member." I said with a chuckle. Moonlight looked at me sharply as if she was about to make some smart retort, but Breeze pressing up against her caused her to look at him warmly.

"Do you have any objections with that, Skystar?" Breeze asked gently.

"I don't see why not, but the name Breeze won't be able to stay." He chuckled. Breeze nodded firmly. "So I believe you are more than qualified to be a Warrior so from this day forth you shall be known as Breezestorm, we welcome you as a full Warrior of Airclan." Airclan cats started chanting Breezestorm's new name. I smiled lightly.

"Welcome to the Clans, Breezestorm." I said as I walked past them and to Snowstar who was looking at me with a gently expression on her face.

"That was a nice thing you did for your sister." I sighed.

"I want her to be happy, ever since what happened with Ravenclaw she has been so down in the dumps about everything. I just wanted to see her real smile again. I saw it when she was with Breezestorm. I had to do something..." She nodded.

"I know why you disobey the code for them. I understand it wholeheartedly. I uses to go and look for your mother every chance I got when she became an apprentice. She was my pride and joy in a different clan. I knew I could never abandon my Clan, but I had hoped she would find out oneday and return home and she did...Iceheart was my sister and I would have gone insane if I knew she was in a different clan, I would have done what you did."

"Snowstar, there's something I have to talk about with you later. It's important." I muttered as I thought about what my siblings and I had talked about when we were outside.

"What is it?"

"It can wait until we have a reached a safe place." We continued along the path before us and I stopped when I saw the cliffs divide, there was a small gap across the two. It would be an easy jump for most of the cats in the Clans.

"We don't have a choice, we have to jump it." Sunstar stated and padded forward. "I will wait on the other side and make sure everyone gets over safely. Any Warriors should help get the kits and apprentices across, then help the elders across." I stared down at my two legs, they weren't exactly in the best shape, my body shivered a little as I watched one by one the cats jumping over. No one had gotten hurt and almost everyone was over, Moonlight and Breezestorm jumped over with ease. Moonlight turned to me from the other side.

"Come one Frostmeadow. It's okay, we won't let you fall." She said gently. I took a step towards the edge. I looked at my siblings who were looking over worried.

"I...I can't..." I backed away a few steps.

"Yes, you can! You're the daughter of Lightwish, Jayheart and Blackfire after all! You took on the Black Forest Cats! You killed Hawkstar! You can do anything Frostmeadow, we need you to be brave now more than ever. You are more special than you realize!" Moonlight and Sunstar called out to me. I shook away my fears quickly and started running until I leaped and landed right on the edge of the other cliff. I wombled a little, but Moonlight and Sunstar made sure I didn't fall.

"There you go, easy right?" Moonlight said smiling brightly.

"Right..." I padded past them and towards Snowstar. "Can we have that talk now? I think here would be a good place to rest for the night." She nodded and we padded a little further away from everyone. I sat down and stared up at the stars above.

"What is it, Frostmeadow?"

"Moonlight told me something a while ago that has stayed with me for a long time. She told me to protect the ones I loved and that's why I jumped on the dog before it could kill Frostclaw...I...I love him and I can't stop it, I want to, I want to be the best Medicine Cat I can be but I can't stop it..." I felt my voice cracking as I felt the tears coming, but instead of getting mad at me she simply but a paw on my shoulder and sighed.

"I know, Frostmeadow. I have known for a while now. I know you are trying your hardest and I know you want to follow the code you are bound to, but some things can't be avoided. You love Frostclaw, then you love him. You can't hide it forever. I am not mad in the slightest, to tell you the truth Iceheart loved Oceanbreeze, she was hurt when he was having kits with Blackriver, but she lived with it, just as you have lived with it. Jayheart loved Lightwish with all his heart, he lived with it and now you have to live with it as well." I was surprised by this new knowledge about my former mentor and his mentor.

"So it happens to all Medicine Cats?" I asked.

"I don't know about all of them but a vast majority of them do have to suffer through this."

I felt a lot better knowing I wasn't the only one but as I turned away from Snowstar I saw Frostclaw standing there. He was staring at us shocked and I backed away a step.

"Frostclaw...."

"You..." I didn't get the chance to hear what he was about to say because Lightpaw bounced over happily.

"Frostmeadow, can we go and look around?" I nodded swiftly and padded away with her quickly.

"Feeling better?" I asked her and she nodded.

"Much better!" I smiled.

"Good."

"Are you feeling alright?"

"Why do you ask?"

"You look worried."

"It's nothing I'll be alright..."

"Are you sure?"

"Positive."

I'm positive that I'm in love with Frostclaw and can't do anything about it.