VII

Isabella

I made Beyoncé cry.

I've known her for a whole five minutes and I already made her break down in tears. She ran out of my room a few minutes ago, and her husband, Jay Z, ran off after her. How sweet.

Good. I didn't want them here anyway.

I reached over to grab my phone off the nightstand before hissing in pain and quickly pulling back. All this soap opera shit made me forget I got shot. The reason I was here, without my mom and discovering I've been living a double life, is because I got shot for absolutely no fucking reason.

I was livid.

If I wasn't in so much pain, I'm pretty sure my anger would've allowed me to trash this hospital room and sneak out. But since I can barely move the upper half of my body without groaning, I'm not going anywhere. I guess I'll have to sit here and suffer in silence.

I need to find my mama. I ignored the pain that shot through my body when I grabbed my phone and quickly went to my contacts. I hit Ma's name and felt my heart drop when it didn't even ring. "This number has been disconnected," rang in my ears repeatedly after I'd hung up.

"Fuck!" I screamed, forcefully throwing my phone at the wall. When I heard it shatter, I realized I probably shouldn't have done that. Now I'm without a phone. How am I gonna contact mama, or my friends for that matter? What's gonna happen to me now? I'm not going with them, I don't care who they are. I refuse.

I leaned back against my pillows and huffed in frustration as I cried angrily. My life was falling apart over a fucking drive by, I just– I can't. My head and heart hurts. I've never felt this angry in my life.

"Go away!" I snapped when I heard the door open and shut. I wasn't in the mood to talk to anyone– not detectives, not Beyoncé or Jay Z, not the doctors. I hated everything and everyone.

"Damn, is that the way to talk to the person who saved your life?"

I quickly looked up and saw Darien leaning against the wall. I couldn't help but smile, despite everything. He was crazy.

"Did you really?" I asked softly. I honestly should've known. Darien was probably in the area handling his business when the shooting went down.

Darien nodded and walked closer to me. "I thought I told you to be safe shawty?"

I sighed. "I tried. I should've listened to mama when she said she didn't want me closing super late. Now I'm fucked."

Darien rubbed his head and nodded slowly. "Yeah, I heard about that man. I'm sorry, B."

"What did you hear?" I asked quickly. Maybe he knew something I didn't.

"Word on the street is that Mama G is on the run. You're that girl that got kidnapped, that's crazy as fuck man. My mama said that was the biggest thing that went down in 2002. She said she remembers watching the news and that's all she saw." Darien paused and looked at me. "Cause you know, you're famous and shit. I always knew you looked a lil like Beyoncé. Makes sense now."

"Can you stop?" I mumbled. I still didn't believe this whole thing was true, and I refused to. My mama would never do some shit like this. I know her.

Darien sighed. "B, you gotta accept it. When I was coming up here I saw Beyoncé and Jay, they looked real upset man. I'm guessing you said some shit you shouldn't have."

"You don't know that." I quickly defended myself. I mean yeah he's right, but his claim was only based on assumption.

"Right." Darien rolled his eyes. "Look, I can't stay here long cause they only told me I could visit for a few minutes. Apparently this whole area is shut down cause you're here."

"Why the fuck?"

"Cause you're famous Bella! Like, everyone in the WORLD, not just Atlanta, knows who you are. You know how famous Beyoncé and Jay Z are, they're literally American royalty or some shit." I rolled my eyes and scoffed. "Say what you want, but you know it's true. Plus everyone's on high alert cause you've been missing for 13 years. It's all over the news, Instagram and Twitter too. Your friends been texting me, trying to figure out what the hell is happening. Why you ain't been responding?"

I glanced at my shattered phone. Darien followed my line of sight before frowning at me. "The fuck you do that for?"

I shrugged. "Anger issues."

"Girl." Darien shook his head. "That was dumb."

"I know." I paused and thought for a second. "Do you know where my mama is?" I asked, praying to God he knew something. I get she's on the run or whatever, but maybe she told someone where she's going. I just don't understand why she wouldn't tell me. I would never turn her in, especially for something she didn't do.

"Nah, I'm sorry. If I hear something I'll let you know though." I nodded, not bothering to hide my disappointment. "Wait, how am I supposed to reach you?"

Oh yeah, I don't have a phone.

"Shit, I don't know." I groaned and shut my eyes. I really played myself with that little outburst.

Darien was silent for a minute before pulling out his own phone. He handed it to me. "Use this, I got two more." He explained since I was staring at him in confusion.

"Darien, I can't..."

"Take it, B." I sighed and set the phone on my lap. "Keep it hidden in case the cops or something try to cut off your communication with us. That way you can keep in touch with us lowkey."

"Thank you." I told him sincerely.

We both looked up when we heard footsteps. I sighed in relief when it was just my doctor. I liked him because he did his job and didn't pry in my business like everyone else here. "Sorry to interrupt, but your time is up son." He stated, looking at Darien.

Darien nodded and I pouted. For once in my life I didn't want him to leave me alone. "Yes sir." He looked at me before leaning down to hug me. I didn't protest. "Be safe, aight? I'm serious this time. If I don't see you again before you're gone, just know I care about you. Call me if you need anything." He whispered into my ear.

I nodded. "Okay." He kissed my head before pulling away.

"Bye shawty."

"Bye Darien." He turned his back and my face twisted. Never in my life would I have imagined myself crying over this boy. He was the only person I knew right now, and it was hard to let that go.

I watched the door close behind him and a tear fell down my face. Now I was really alone.