XXXI

"Beyoncé."

I reluctantly opened my eyes, feeling a few tears fall down my face. Jay was staring at me sadly and I took a deep breath, prepared for him to announce he was leaving me.

"I'm going to kill her." Jay growled. I looked at him in surprise.

"What?"

"That therapist." Jay shook his head. I could see the anger in his eyes. But I was confused, was he not upset with me?

"But.... what if she's right?" I asked quietly. "What if it is my fault? What if I am a bad mother?" I felt myself tearing up and quickly turned away from Jay to wipe my eyes.

"Beyoncé, stop. You know that's not true." Jay gently turned me back around to face him, but I avoided his eyes. I didn't want him to see my guilt. "You need to forget about everything that bitch told you, because none of it is true. You know it's not, Bey. You're a wonderful mother, you always have been. Maybe not over the past few weeks, but you generally are. They love you. Bella and Blue. Even after all of this shit you've put them through, they still love you." Jay sighed and tilted my head up to look into my eyes. "You need to forget what she said."

"Don't you think I've tried?" I cried. "That's all I've tried to do, forget. But I can't, Jay. That's the problem. I can't forget."

"Okay, okay. I'm sorry." Jay shushed me and rested his forehead against mine. I cried silently as he held me close to him. "I love you, Beyoncé. I'm going to help you get better." He promised.

"Okay." I whispered. Jay tilted his head up and pressed his lips against my forehead, lingering longer than usual. I gripped onto his biceps and sighed once he pulled away.

"Can I ask you something, Bey?" He asked softly. I nodded slowly, feeling myself get nervous. I had no idea what he would ask, but I was hoping it wouldn't be too hard to answer.

"Why did you slap Bella?" Jay asked. My eyes widened and I looked at him in confusion.

"What? I didn't."

"Beyoncé." Jay looked at me doubtfully. I frowned. "Yes you did. She came running out of your room crying with a bright red mark on her face. About thirty minutes ago."

I quickly shook my head. No, I would never hit Bella. I didn't understand what he was talking about.

Jay frowned. "You don't remember doing that?"

"No." I replied honestly.

Jay sighed and hugged me close to him. I laid my head on his shoulder while he ran his hands up and down my back. I felt him kiss my head before sighing. "You need to go back to therapy Beyoncé." I quickly opened my mouth to protest, but Jay didn't give me a chance. "To a real therapist. I don't know who the hell that lady was, but she damn sure wasn't licensed. There's no way. She was feeding you some shit that messed with your head, that ain't normal."

"She was someone my mother's friend recommended though." I frowned. I knew my mother would never allow me to see someone she didn't trust, so the therapist must've been legit. There's no other explanation.

"Mama T's friend?" Jay asked, pulling away to look at me. I nodded.

"Her friend recommended me, her friend wasn't the therapist." I clarified.