XXIX

Beyoncé

I walked into Jay's office and smiled shyly when he glanced up at me. He smiled back and I felt a little relieved. I knew he had forgiven me for my little episode earlier, but I was hoping things wouldn't be awkward between us. We've known each other for so long, things are rarely awkward anymore.

"Hey." Jay smiled and I jumped a little. I didn't see him get up from his desk and walk over to me.

"Hey." I replied, smiling back softly. Jay wrapped his arms around my waist and I sighed, resting my head on his shoulder.

"What made you come down here?" Jay asked while rubbing my back. I shrugged a little.

"I felt bad. I didn't mean to snap on you and the girls the way I did earlier. My mother too, but I already apologized to her." I admitted. "And I missed you. I want to be around the people I love right now, because my heart still hurts. I just want to feel better." I snuggled further into Jay's arms and placed my hands on his firm chest. Jay kissed my head.

"I know. I don't expect you to heal overnight." Jay stated and I nodded a little. "I expect you to grieve, I just don't want you to neglect us while doing it. I want to help you however I can, but not if you keep pushing me away."

I pulled away slightly and looked into Jay's eyes. "I promise I won't push you away." I told him softly. "I need you. I can't afford to push you away."

"Good. Because I'm here for you." Jay nodded, kissing my temple. "Did you want to see the girls?"

"Yes. Where are they?"

"Tonya took them down the street to get ice cream. They should be back soon." Jay informed me. I nodded. Tonya was Jay's secretary, and she was very friendly and trustworthy, so I wasn't worried.

"They don't hate me, do they?" I asked quietly. Jay shook his head and I felt a little relieved, but not completely. I wouldn't know for sure until they got back. I've never snapped on either of them the way I had earlier, and I felt awful. I was just so sad and I wasn't thinking, I let my frustrations get the best of me.

"They don't hate you, I promise." Jay assured me. "I already explained the situation with the baby, so that's one less thing you have to worry about."

"Thank you." I whispered. Jay nodded and ran his hand up and down my arm.

"You're welcome." He kissed me gently and I sighed, nuzzling my face into his neck afterwards.

I stood in Jay's arms for several minutes until we heard our babies voices nearby. I pulled away from Jay's embrace and stood next to him as Bella and Blue walked into his office, talking aimlessly to Tonya.

"Oh, Beyoncé," Tonya smiled after noticing me. "It's nice to see you. It's been a minute since you've been down here."

"I know." I replied, genuinely returning the smile. "It's nice to see you too, Tonya. Thank you for entertaining my girls."

"Anytime. Although they're the ones who entertain me." Tonya chuckled and I nodded my head in agreement.

"Thanks Tonya." Jay smiled and lifted Blue into his arms. Bella stood next to him and stared at me from a slight distance. I sighed.

"No problem. Jay, I'm about to head home. You guys have a nice evening." Tonya waved at the girls and they waved back.

"You too." Jay and I replied. I waited a few seconds after Tonya left to speak. I trusted her, but I didn't want her hearing our family business.