VIII

Jay

I held Beyoncé tightly as she silently cried in my arms. We were standing in a tiny supply closet off the hallway, it was the first private space I could find. I didn't need any of these doctors telling our business to each other, because I knew it'd be making headlines tomorrow. Only a select number of people needed to see my wife upset, and I was one of them.

"Bey, I'm sorry baby. But I warned you." I sighed, resting my chin on her head. I felt Beyoncé's warm tears coat my neck and rubbed small circles in her back while humming softly. I was trying to soothe her, and this is what I'd been doing since she was 20 years old. It hasn't failed me yet.

I sent a silent thank you to the man up above when Bey started calming down. I didn't loosen my grip, because I knew she needed me.

Bey slowly looked up at me with red teary eyes. I stared back at her tenderly, moving my hand to rub small circles in the back of her neck.

"I know." Beyoncé stared at the wall behind me as her bottom lip trembled. I kissed her temple and continued working my hand magic. We stood in silence as Bey sorted out her thoughts in her head. I didn't mind, since I needed to sort out mine too.

"What are we gonna do?" Beyoncé whispered. I tucked a strand of hair behind her ear and sighed.

"We're going to do what we have to do." I shrugged. Beyoncé stared at me in confusion so I gave her an explanation. "She's coming back to New York with us whether she likes it or not. Do I want to take her away from her life here? No, because I know she has friends she loves and familiar surroundings here. But it's a lie. Everything she's been taught is a lie, and we can't help that."

Beyoncé looked weary. "Jay, I don't think that's a good idea." She said quietly. I knew why she was hesitant, she was worried about damaging her relationship with Isabella even more. I wasn't worried about that. I'm not heartless, but I'm real. Keeping her here wasn't going to benefit any of us, so we might as well go ahead and rip the bandaid off and fly back home. Isabella needs to be around her real family. That's the reality of the situation, and Isabella can throw a fit if she wants, but it's not going to change my decision.

"We have to think about what's best for her, Bey. I'm just trying to keep it real with you, because you know I've always done that." I looked at her with a raised brow and she nodded slowly in agreement. "She has no reason to be upset with us, aside from not wanting to leave Atlanta. Everything else, that shit is not our fault. You know if Blue ever popped off on either of us like that, or any adult for that matter, she sure as hell wouldn't have gotten away with it. I'm being more lenient with Isabella than either of you realize."

Beyoncé sighed and closed her eyes. "I know. And I really don't want to call her that, but I know I'll have to. We can't take her name away from her too."

"Well..."

"Jay. No." Beyoncé shook her head. "We can't do that. Please."

"Alright." I reluctantly agreed. I respected Beyoncé's decision, and I respected our child too. Although the feeling wasn't yet mutual. "She can keep her name, but she's not staying here."

"I know." Bey said sadly. I felt for her, because all she wanted was to restore peace between our daughter and herself. I wanted to restore peace as well, but she wasn't ready for that. I knew she wouldn't be, but Beyoncé had more hope than I did. It happens, I can't help that.

"Let's give her some time." I suggested, wrapping Bey in my arms again. She pressed her cheek against my shoulder and nodded. "Why don't we go grab something to eat? I know you haven't ate since last night."

"I'm not hun–"

"Beyoncé." I narrowed my eyes at my girl and she huffed. "You have to eat, babe. Just order something light."

"Fine." Bey didn't bother to argue, thankfully. "I want to call Blue." She added in a softer tone. I nodded and opened the door in the small closet, following Bey out. She quickly pulled out her phone and dialed Mama T's number.

I wrapped my arms around her shoulders as she greeted her mother and rested my head against hers when the phone was given to Blue.

"Hey mommy!" Blue exclaimed. I lifted my head slightly to gauge Bey's expression. She melted and I smiled, glad to see her mood lifting a little.

"Hi baby." Beyoncé spoke warmly to our daughter. "Daddy's here too." She added, glancing up at me.

"Oh, hi daddy." Blue giggled. I chuckled and said hello back. "When are you coming home? I miss you so much."

"We miss you too, baby girl. We'll be home in a few days, okay?" Bey replied. "Are you having fun with grandma and Richard?"

"Yes. Auntie Solo took me to a museum!" Blue told us excitedly. My own smile grew and so did Bey's. She was one of the many lights in our lives, but also one I was most thankful for.

"Did she?" Bey asked, her tone matching Blue's. "What kind of museum?"

"Art. It was so beautiful mommy, we have to go when you come back." Blue told us. "You too daddy."

"I'm sure that'll be fine." Beyoncé smiled. As Bey continued to talk with our daughter, I couldn't help but wonder how Blue would react to an older sister. I'm sure she'd be happy, because she's expressed several times how Bey and I should have more babies. But my problem was Isabella. She might've gotten away with disrespecting me and Bey, but she was not about to hurt my child's feelings.

I planned on having a serious talk with her when we came back from lunch. Alone.