XIII

Two weeks later

Beyoncé

Things have been going surprisingly well with Bella. No, we're not the best of friends and she still has her moments, but overall we've been getting along pretty well. I'm thankful, because I wasn't sure how much more of the disrespect I could take before I snapped.

Of course I would love to have that mother/daughter relationship with Isabella, and I'm still hoping that one day I will, but for now I'm just happy she doesn't resent me anymore. Her and Blue have been spending most of their time together, which has me overjoyed of course, but it also made me realize that Bella needs to be around kids closer to her age. I'm relieved my babies have grown fond of each other, but even Blue has a few little friends she plays with at school. I knew Bella needed the same.

Jay and I currently had Bella set up with a tutor who came over for three hours, four days out of the week. We chose to wait and let everything simmer down before bringing school back into the scenario, but now that Bella is settled, I think it's time to enroll her somewhere. Education is always important, and I think it'd be more enjoyable for her if she were around other teenagers.

My preference would be to enroll her in one of the top private schools in Manhattan, but I'm not sure she would be too thrilled about that. Jay suggested we let her choose whether she wants to go to a public or private school, but my nerves wouldn't be as bad if she went somewhere with higher security and difficult entry. That way I would know what was going on at the school, and if Bella was receiving any unexpected visitors.

I would have to think about it. I knew I needed to let up a little, but I couldn't. A small distraction made me lose my daughter for thirteen years, and I couldn't let it happen again. I needed to be protective, especially knowing that crazy bitch was still out there.

I have two babies at risk this time, and I'll be damned if someone tries to take them from me. I'm not the same Beyoncé I was thirteen years ago, this time around I will kill for my children.

I wish a bitch would try me.

*****

Isabella

"Nooo, you're crazy. She would never!" I shook my head and laughed along with my lunch date. I was out with Solange at this super chill restaurant in Brooklyn, and I'm actually having a great time. The Knowles-Carter family continued to surprise me in good ways, and I wasn't complaining about it. I was even getting along with Beyoncé, that's when you know.

"Girl, I swear. Beyoncé was wild when she was younger." Solange pointed her fork at me and nodded. "How do you think she got pregnant with you?"

I scrunched up my nose. "Ewww, please don't take it there Solo."

Solange shrugged, chuckling while she cut up her steak. "We had some times back in the day. Now I can't tell you everything cause some of that shit wasn't legal, but I can share a few stories."

I smiled. Hearing Solange talk about her and Beyoncé's teen years made me wish I had a sister growing up. It was always just mama and I, until I started school, she was all I had. I didn't have a lot of friends up until I was in middle school since we moved so much. Now I know why.

I sighed. Everything is complicated right now. I miss mama, even though I know I shouldn't. Honestly, I don't even know what to call her anymore. I mean I still love her despite everything, she's all I've ever known. The reality is, she raised me and taught me everything I know, even though I wasn't hers. She did something terrible and I understand that, but I'm the person I am today because of her. I can't just forget that.