XLII

I left Bella's room and searched almost every inch of the house. I couldn't find her anywhere, and I was getting frustrated. I tried to remember what my mother told me and wanted to stay calm without assuming things, but where the hell else could she be?

I walked through the foyer and grabbed the car keys. We rented two Porsche Cayennes for the week, in case we wanted to ride through town or go out to eat somewhere, and I'm thankful or else I would have to sit and wait for a car service. I don't have time for that. I had to find my child and ask her what the hell she was thinking.

I sent my mama a quick text letting her know I was leaving before going outside. I headed towards the car and tripped over something. "Shit." I mumbled, because I almost fell on my face. I looked down at the steps and saw Bella sitting there with both of her suitcases.

"What the hell are you doing?" I asked as calmly as possible. Bella ignored me and I took a deep breath. "I know you hear me speaking to you." I said. Bella stayed silent. "Isabella!" I snapped.

She finally looked up at me. "What are you doing?" I repeated. She looked annoyed.

"Sitting." She replied with an attitude.

Stay calm, Beyoncé. Stay calm. "I see that. But why are you out here with your luggage?" I asked.

Bella shrugged. It took my all not to yank her up, but I was trying to keep my cool. Please God give me strength. "Isabella, you are really testing me right now." I said slowly.

"What's new."

"Ok." I closed my eyes and counted to ten. "I understand you're upset with me right now, but please don't be disrespectful. I'm doing my best not to lose my shit on you right now, but you're really pushing it."

Bella rolled her eyes. Strike one. "What, are you gonna hit me again?" She smirked. Strike two. "Or maybe, if I'm lucky, you'll start cussing me out and making me feel like shit because you're perfect and have never made a mistake in your life. Or! Haha, maybe you'll turn your back for a second and I'll be gone. Wouldn't be the first time." Strike three. "Give it up for mother of the year, Beyoncé Knowles-Carter!"

I took a step forward and smacked her across the face.

Bella rubbed her cheek and looked at me. "I knew you were gonna do that so I'm not even mad." She said. "Now you just have to insult me a couple times and tell me to get out of your face."

I glared at her. "I made a mistake and I've been wanting to apologize to you for it. Yet you want to throw what happened in my face."

"Oh, like what you did to me?" Bella said. "Let me save you some time. I don't forgive you."

"Isabella–"

"And stop slapping me." She said. "Daddy already told you to stop. I don't know why you enjoy hitting me so much."

Are you fucking kidding me? I rolled my eyes. "I barely hit you, Bella. You can shut all that down right now. You know I don't like hitting you, but sometimes you don't give me a choice." I said. "And your daddy doesn't pick and choose what I'm allowed to do. If he has a problem he can come to me and we'll discuss it. I'm grown, and I'm your mother."

"Then act like it." She mumbled.

"Excuse me?"