Chapter 2

Phantogram - Blackout Days

Adrianne

The alarm on my phone went off, and I looked towards my window to see light peeking through the blinds. I groaned, picking up my phone.

It was eleven in the morning, and I had a class at twelve.

I groaned again as I kicked off my covers. I brushed my teeth and jammed to some Phantogram as I changed. With about twenty minutes left until I had to leave, I headed to the kitchen to make some breakfast.

Until I smelled food.

I stopped dead in my tracks as I saw my mom leaning over the stove.

Wow. I strolled into the kitchen, walking up to the fridge.

"Good morning."

"Oh," she turned, looking at me with her eyes a little wide. "Good morning. I didn't hear you come in." She turned back to her eggs, her pink robe swaying. Her brown hair was tied up in a messy bun, and her locks fell around her face.

I opened the fridge, looking for something to munch on.

"Do you want some eggs?" She looked at me.

I paused. She looked tired.

"Nah, that's okay. I'll just have some oatmeal."

She nodded. The kitchen grew quiet as I made my oatmeal around her. I watched her as she made her eggs. Sunny side-up.

She had stopped messing with them, and was just staring at the pan, the spatula in her hand. Her eggs started to turn brown.

The microwave beeped for my oatmeal, and it took her out of her trance.

"How was work last night? You got home late." She said, moving her eggs to a plate quickly.

"Oh, it was fine. I made a good amount." I stuck a spoonful of oatmeal in my mouth.

She had no idea her daughter was a stripper. Ironic, right? I told her I'd gotten some job at a diner outside of town that didn't really exist.

"That's good." She sighed. "I'm actually gonna go to the office for the day. There's a board meeting I have to attend later."

"Ugh. Well, you have fun with that."

She gave me the tiniest smile before she started eating.

"Alrighty, I'm gonna go to class." I checked my watch and stuck my bowl in the sink.

"Make me proud," she muttered.

"I'll try," I said, and gave her a peck on the cheek before heading out.

As I drove to school, my brother called me. We made small talk and finished our conversation before I pulled into the parking lot.

I got a text from Brianna, my friend. She wanted to meet for lunch on campus.

As I was replying, I looked up to see a black muscle car pull in a few spots down from me. The windows had a really dark tint on them, making it impossible to see the inside.

Probably some asshole from one of the frats.

I rolled my eyes and looked back to my phone, making plans to meet up after class.

I heard the engine turn off, and I couldn't help but look as the door opened.

My mouth fell open and my breath caught in my throat.

I immediately recognized the sandy blonde hair and grey eyes.

Holy fucking shit. My eyes widened as he locked his car and walked towards the campus. He looked good. I watched his back through my rearview mirror for a few seconds before shaking my head.