Part 4

Eva took Arden inside just before dinner, needing to fix the pot roast. She had spend the afternoon watching the boys and Liam explore the backyards of both house while chatting with Sophia. She was nice enough, Eva thought. She would enjoy having a woman next door to chat with. She had explained that she worked quite a bit, only have weekends off. Now that she was being paid a true doctor's salary, no longer a resident, she volunteered to be on call most weekends, for extra money. She had laughed about making double Liam's salary. He'd been the breadwinner for years, supporting the family while she finished school. She'd been delayed twice, once for each child. She was glad they were both in school and she was free to finish. She loved her kids, she explained, but Liam had been the caretaker. Steady schedule, she had said. He'd been working for eight years as a teacher, the past five in their town, Port Huron. Before that, they had been in Ann Arbor, going to school at the University of Michigan. She'd been placed here for her residency and they'd fallen in love with the quaint town.

Eva had laughed, telling her that she had moved Harry here. She'd gone to Eastern Michigan University, met Harry and brought him home. Harry loved it more that she did. Everything that Sophia found 'quaint' Eva had gotten over, years ago. Beaches, big deal. They'd always been there. Boardwalk, adorable shopping area, boats, the river: same thing. She was over it. Not that she wanted to move, she was happy in the small town, she just didn't see those things anymore. She did promise to show Sophia the best shopping areas, though. Sophia had smiled and taken her up on the offer.

Harry came home just has dinner went on the table. He went right upstairs, changed into a pair of old cotton shorts and tee-shirt, then grabbed his plate. "I'm going to eat downstairs. Play my game." he said.

"But....I thought..." Eva had started.

"Jesus. Just stop. I just want to relax to today. Arden can come watch." Harry didn't even stop to see if he followed. Arden grinned and followed his dad. Eva sat at the table, picking at her food, looking at the broken pieces of the smoke detector on the counter.

****************

Harry had taken her to Applebee's for their 'first' date. They had sat at a table in the corner, eating and talking. She had learned that his family was from south Detroit. He had a mother and a sister. His dad had left when he was only five. They weren't close, but he was okay, he said. His mother and sister took great care of him, he'd laughed. He was the first person in his family to go to college. He'd been raised on welfare, never having quite enough. He didn't want to raise his children that way, he's said. He was going to be more. He wanted it all. A beautiful wife, a great house, a huge boat and amazing kids.

She was fascinated by him. Her studies had included a course on poverty. It wasn't easy to escape from it and Harry was doing it. He was planning the perfect life, a life she wanted to be a part of. He was an extraordinary person, it was exciting to be around such a handsome, driven person. She wanted him in the worst way, she felt a craving she couldn't explain. When they'd finished eating, they went back to his car and he'd kissed her again. She crawled into lap, kissing him over and over, letting his hands explore her body. She knew that she'd found her match, the man she wanted to spend her life with. They wanted the same things. She decided then and there that she was going to marry him.

*********************

The next morning, she and Arden set out for school at their normal time, walking down the street. Sophia passed them, honking and waving. She smiled, thinking how lucky Sophia was that she had a husband like Liam, who spent time with his children. A husband who was home. A husband who loved her. She sighed and decided to forget about it, deciding to just be happy to have a new friend.

When the day ended, she and Arden walked home, running into Liam and his children who were also walking home. "Hey!" he said. "Mrs. Styles! Nice to see you again." he said.