Part 46

First thing Monday morning, Eva talked to her boss, explaining about Harry and that she would be missing work. Her boss understood completely. Harry had asked for a leave at his work. He had multiple doctor appointments over the next few weeks before his surgery. He was going to be home. Eva wasn't sure how she felt about that. She wasn't used to him being around. Was he really going to change? Would he spend time with her? Cook dinner with her? Watch TV with her? Go to bed with her at night? Even if he couldn't make love to her, they could lay together and talk like they used to, before they had drifted apart. Liam's face floated behind her eyes, knowing that he did do those things. He loved to do those things. She shook her head, clearing those thoughts. She couldn't think of Liam. She just couldn't.

Eva and Arden arrived home from school at their normal time. Arden went to the kitchen table, opening and emptying his backpack. Eva went into the kitchen, looking for a snack they could share. She glanced at the sink. It was full of dishes. Sighing, she turned to the fridge. The milk was on the counter, next to the fridge, along with a mostly empty box of cereal. Opening the fridge, she put the milk away. The orange juice was empty and the container was sitting on the shelf. She pulled it out and slammed it onto the counter. Arden turned at the noise. "What was that?" he asked.

"Nothing. Sorry. Cookies?" she asked. Arden nodded. She closed the fridge and walked around the corner to her pantry. She had just been to the store and had bought a box of cookies. She grabbed it off the shelf. Empty. That was all she could take in one day. She threw the box out of the pantry door, straight across the hall and down the basement stairs.

"What the fuck?" Harry yelled from the basement. He walked over and looked up the stairs. "What was that for?"

Eva blew her top. "That was a full box when I left this morning! Why is it empty? And back on the shelf? You know I hate that!"

Harry stomped up the stairs. "Seriously? This again? I thought you were going to change?" Harry said.

"Me? Me? I have to change? I'm not allowed to get upset about an empty box?" Eva screamed.

Arden came running to stand between them. "No! No fighting! You promised!"

Harry lifted Arden and moved him out of the way before taking a step closer to Eva. "No! Your not allowed to be such a BITCH. They are just fucking cookies."

Eva threw up her hands. "That is not the POINT! You put the empty box back! You put the empty juice back in the fridge! You left out the milk! The sink is full of dishes! These are things that bother me!"

"Pick you battles, Eva. This is worth getting upset about! Jesus." Harry rolled his eyes and started to walk back down the basement. Eva reached for him, grabbing his arm. He pulled away and swung around, hand up.

"DON'T HIT HER!" Arden screamed. He pushed Harry, catching Harry off guard and making him stumble. He forgot about Eva and turned to Arden. Reaching out, he grabbed his arm and pulled him over, using his other had to smack his bottom. Arden screamed in fright. Nobody had ever hit him before. Eva dove for Arden, knelt down and pulled him close. He started to sob. Eva lifted him up and carried him upstairs, taking him into his room. Together, they sat on the bed. "You said he'd be better, Momma. You said."

Eva stroked his hair. "He will be, baby. He will be. We just need to give him time."

"Ya, right." Arden said. "I hate him."

"Arden. You don't say that. Ever." Eva scolded. "Daddy is really sick. I shouldn't have yelled at him."

"He shouldn't have eaten my cookies."

Eva just sighed, not really knowing how to explain. Harry did what he wanted. He didn't think about other people. That was who he was. He grew up in a family that didn't have much money. Snacks were rare in his house and you had to fight for what you wanted. His mother and sister took care of him. He just didn't know he was wrong. Or maybe he wasn't. Maybe she was?  Maybe she expected too much. Was she the one who needed to change? "I know, Arden. Come on. Let's go to Dairy Queen. Dinner and ice cream. Okay?" Arden nodded, smiling. At least she knew how to make him happy.

Eva laid in bed alone that night. They had returned from dinner to find the dishes done and the cereal put away. Arden had take the food they bought for Harry down to him and Arden said he had apologized. Eva then set about her normal evening. She bathed Arden, let him play for a bit while she watched Wheel of Fortune, and then took him upstairs for teeth brushing and book reading. By 8:30, she was in her own night gown and watching evening TV. Alone.

When Harry finally came to bed, at 1am, he woke her up. "Sorry." he said.

Eva rolled over. "For waking me up?" she said.

"Yes. And for before." Harry said. "I know you hate dirty dishes." Eva just sighed and rolled over. "What?" he said. "What's wrong now?"

"Jesus, Harry. I don't hate dirty dishes. I just hate coming home to a mess I didn't make. And you assuming I'll take care of it. I'm not mad because you ate cookies. I'm mad because you are inconsiderate. Also, I bathed Arden alone. I read to him alone. I watched TV alone. I don't want to be ALONE, Harry! I don't want to be ALONE! I want you to be a part of my life! Make dinner with me! Get Arden ready for bed with me! Hang out with me! Why do you think I went to L..." Eva stopped herself.

"Went to who?" Harry asked. "Who did you go to?"

"Louis. I talk to Louis. All the time, because you won't talk to me!" Eva said, thanking the gods for giving him the same first letter in his name as Liam.

"Mr. Tomlinson? Isn't he gay? No wonder he takes your side." Harry said.

"One, not all gay men are neat. Lou is not neat. And two, I was talking about being lonely! He's lonely. I'm lonely. He's the only person who understands." Eva said, knowing in her head that she was talking about Liam, not really Louis. Yes, she was close to Louis, but he wasn't lonely. He was basically married to a man named Oliver. She prayed that Harry never really paid attention to her when she talked. He never remembered that Mr. Horan was married, so maybe he didn't remember about Louis?

"I do understand, Eva. I do. I just...lose track of time. I forget. I'm a flawed person. It's not like you are perfect." Harry answered.

"I know I'm not perfect. I'm fat, ugly, too demanding, too picky, I can't drive, I annoy you. I know! Jesus!" Eva threw back her covers and got out of bed. She grabbed her pillow and stomped away, heading downstairs. She wasn't going to mess up the guest room again. She'd just gotten it neat again. Instead, she went down to her couch, intending to lay on the lounger. She hurried to the kitchen to pull her cellphone off the charger and set an alarm. Looking out her window, she saw that Liam's bedroom light was on. Without even thinking she started to type a text to him. She deleted it. Then started to type again. She stopped and looked at her screen. Her phone was showing her that Liam was texting her.

Liam: Why are you awake?

Liam: You were texting me.

Liam: Why didn't you finish?

Liam: Why are you in the kitchen?

Eva looked up. Liam was standing in his window. She sucked in her breath. Just seeing his outline was amazing. She wanted to run outside and to him.

Eva: Sorry. Meant to text someone else.

She moved away from the window.

Liam: Don't lie to me. You are sleeping on the couch. What did he do?

Eva decided not to answer. She just went over to the lounger and laid down, clutching the phone to her chest wishing she was a better person. A person who could really do the right thing and be happy about it, because right now? She wasn't happy. And Liam was right. People don't change.