Part 50

Sunday morning, Eva woke up, went down to her kitchen and make breakfast. She made eggs, hash browns, sausage, toast and sweet rolls. Arden wandered into the kitchen, sat at the table and started eating. She made a plate for Harry and left it in the microwave. Then she sat down to eat her own food. Arden looked up at her, a happy smile on his face. "Thanks, Momma. This is....What happened to your face?"

"No worries, Arden. I'm okay. I promise." She gave him a side hug, trying to reassure him. Harry came down, grabbed his breakfast and sat down across from them. She looked right at him. "Good Morning, Harry." He grunted back. "Look up, Harry." Throwing down his fork, he rolled his eyes and looked up. His eyes went wide with shock when he saw her face. The slap had left her with a bruise on her face and a swollen eye.

"Oh, god, Eva. I'm sor...."

"Don't. Don't even say it. I meant what I said. l am leaving, after your scan. You may not come near me or Arden. If you do, I call the police and press charges. Understood?"

Harry nodded.

"Good. Also, I am taking all of the furniture on this floor, including the patio." Eva said.

Harry nodded again. "Yes. I get it. I'm sorry. I'll be better. I swear."

Eva just rolled her eyes. She stood up, taking her dishes to the sink. She was up to her elbows in soap when her phone rang. She dried her hands and grabbed it. It was her boss. "Hello?"

"Eva? Is Harry there? I've got the greatest news, but it will involve you leaving for a few days. Is Harry well enough to be alone?" Donna asked.

"Uh, yes. I think so. So, what is this?"

"Put me on speaker." she said. Sitting down at the table, Eva pressed the button. "Okay, so, you've been given the offer that could change your career. There is a conference this weekend, in Lansing. It's for the science standards roll out? Anyhow, the elementary teacher who was supposed to go, dropped out. Your name came up. You will get the train the district elementary teachers. It's a paid position, with a raise. This is an amazing opportunity and I know it's last minute and I know Harry is sick, but you can't pass this up! What do you say?"

Eva looked up at Harry. He smiled and nodded. "Do it. Arden and I will be fine. I'm only working four days a week. I'll be home on Friday." She pointed at her cheek, reminding him that she had a bruise. He shook his head. He whispered, "It's fading already. I'm an ass. I owe you this."

Eva smiled. "Okay." she said out loud. "What do I need to do?"

"Just pack for three days. Work attire. Also, we always go out to at least one nice dinner, so bring something for that, okay? I'll get you a sub for Friday. We leave at eight. I'll pick you up and we can drive to the admin building together. We are taking district vans. Oh, and a laptop? Or iPad? We can talk more Monday, but they needed an answer, now. It's going to be great! See you!" She ended the call.

Eva looked at Harry. "You swear this is okay?"

Harry nodded. "Yes. Yes. It's fine. I've ruined this marriage. This is on me. I need to do right by you. For once."

"You keep saying things like that, Harry. Then you hurt me again. I don't even know what to think anymore. You say you want me to stay, but you get mad at me all the time, for nothing! You've hit me. You yell at me. You tell me I'm the problem. I'm just so tired. What happened to that man who loved me? Who would do anything for me? Who used to skip class to make sure he was there when my class let out because he missed me?" Eva stood up and started to walk away.

"Eva? Wait..."

She turned back. "No. I'm done waiting. I've been waiting for years. It's time for me to move on. And you, too." She kept walking, right up the stairs to start packing, not only for the conference but for the move to her new life.

Friday morning, Eva's boss picked her up and drove them both to the district offices. Donna got in the first van and as much as Eva liked her boss, three hours with her in van would be too much. Plus, the first van was packed. She turned to the second van. Most of the luggage was in that van. Plus, the driver and two passengers. There were only ten people going, One from each high school and middle school, four administrators and her. She opened the door, put her luggage inside and looked in the van. Way in the back, there was a man, sitting alone. He looked up and smiled. It was Liam.

"Hey, Evie." he said, smiling.

She smiled back and climbed in the van, joining him in the back. "Liam!" she said. "I thought you were mad at me."

Liam grabbed her hand. "I'm not mad. I just don't know what do to. I love you and I'm frustrated. Harry keeps hurting you. You wont let me stop him. I just..."

"I'm leaving, Liam. I've told Harry. I've moved so much stuff! So many clothes and Arden's toys. I'm packing up the kitchen things, too. It's going to happen, I swear. Just not as fast as you'd like." Eva said. "But, what are you doing here? Did you know I was coming?"

Liam laughed. "Who do you think suggested you after the other guy dropped out?"

Eva smiled and hugged him. "I am so happy, Liam!"

Liam looked at the front of the van. The two men were talking to each other, not even paying attention to them. He looked back at Eva and kissed her. "This will be great, Evie. We are going to be alone. It's been forever." He kissed her again, pushing her back onto the seat, until they were out of sight. She wrapped her arms around his neck, kissing him back.

"So, you are just back here, hiding behind luggage, waiting for me?" she grinned.

"Sure am." he smiled back. "I sure am."