Part 27

Harry came home the next afternoon while Liam and Jamie were at the hospital with Ava. She was ready to come home, tired and crabby because she couldn't sleep without all her 'stuffed up animals' and Liam was thrilled to pick her up.

Harry pulled up with the boat and Eva walked out to it, carrying an empty laundry basket. Harry hopped off the boat, carrying two bags. "Hey, baby. Here. These are the boys bags. Give me the basket. I'll get the dirty clothes. There's no food left and I did all the dishes."

Eva took a step back. "What?"

Harry smiled. "I did the dishes. I told you, I am going to try. I heard you. I understand what you want. If I want to keep you, I need to fix what makes you unhappy. Do you want to know what makes me unhappy about you?"

Despite herself, she nodded. "Uh, sure?"

"Okay. You are too stubborn. It's your way or nothing. You also freak out if plans change, if things don't go how you planned them. That's why you wouldn't try for another baby, Eva. Yes, you were sad, but I swear it's more because it didn't go the way you planned. That drives me crazy. I've been talking to a counselor and I'd like you to come. Please. I'm also going to be taking off every Saturday, just so we can spend time together. I mean it, Eva. I don't want to lose you." Harry pleaded with her.

Eva felt her heart sink. She didn't want to spend time with Harry. She was in love with Liam. "Harry. I want a divorce. I really do. Please."

"I'm just asking for a few months. To prove myself. Let me show you that I can be the Harry you fell in love with. I don't want to go through this surgery alone. I've been talking to other men with BXO? They say it works. Just give me until September."

"Harry..."

"Please, Evangeline. For Arden. For our family." Harry pleaded.

She couldn't speak. Turning, she took the boys bags up to the house. She had chores to do.

Liam: Ava doesn't want to go to lessons today

Eva: You have to make her or she will be afraid forever. It will suck, but you have to do it.

Liam: Are you sure?

Eva: I'm positive.

An hour later, Liam was sitting on the edge of the little pool, holding a screaming Ava. "Please don't make me, Daddy. Please."

"You have to, baby. I know you are scared, but I will be right here, okay? You can touch the bottom here." Liam started to lower her down, prying her legs off his sides. One of the teachers came over to help, holding Ava while Liam moved her legs.

"Daddy!" Ava screamed as the teacher pulled her away, lowering her into the water. As soon as her feet touched the bottom, she raced back to Liam, trying to climb up his legs. "Please pick me up! Please, Daddy!"

Liam grabbed her hands and held them down by his knees. "Put your feet down, Ava." Ava put her feet down, still holding onto Liam with a death grip. "I'm not moving, baby. I'll be right here."

Eva was waiting on the bleachers, not wanting to get in the way of what Liam was trying to do for his daughter. "Your husband is a real hands on dad." said the woman sitting near Eva. "You are a lucky woman, especially with your children so close in age."

Eva smiled and looked over at Liam, pretending for a second that Liam was hers. Then she shook her head. "He's not my husband. Only one of those kids are mine. We are just friends." Eva admitted.

"Oh!" the woman said. "You seem so close. I just assumed. Well, his wife is lucky."

Eva nodded. "She sure is."

By the end of the lesson, Ava was standing on her own, about a foot from Liam. When the whistle blew for free time, she threw herself at Liam, soaking him. "I stayed in the water, Daddy! Are you proud of me?"

Liam held her close. "I sure am princess. I sure am." He pulled her all the way out of the pool, set her on the cement and stood up. She wrapped herself around his legs and grinned up at him. "You want to go swimming when we get home? I'll get in with you."

She nodded. "If you stay with me."

Eva, Liam and the kids spent the rest of the afternoon at Eva's pool, trying to help Ava forget her fear. By dinner time, she would jump into the pool as long as Liam caught her. All of the kids were tired, so Liam took his children home to change. It was her turn to make dinner. She had just planned grilled cheese and was cutting up fruit when Liam returned. The kids went right to watch TV with Arden as Liam stood behind her, kissing her neck with his arms wrapped around her waist. "Liam. The kids are going to see."

"I don't care." he mumbled.

"Kids don't understand secrets. They will out us."

"Sophia doesn't care. And maybe Harry should know." Liam whispered in her ear.

"We agreed. End of the summer. Harry had asked for me to wait until after he finds out about his surgery. I owe him this."

"You don't own him anything. Let's go sneak in the bathroom and mess around." Liam winked at her.

"The last time we walked away from the kids, Ava nearly drown." Eva reminded him.

Liam dropped his hands. "Fine. But I am going to be on that boat, waiting for you."

Eva waited until she was sure Harry was asleep before she left the house, hurrying out to the boat. Liam was curled up and snoring. Eva set her alarm and crawled on the bed next to him, wrapping herself around him, resting her head on his back. Completely content, she fell asleep.

"You know it's only been a week?" Eva said to Liam the next day at the kids' sports class. They were sitting away from everyone else, covered by the umbrella attached to her chair.

Liam grabbed her hand, twined his fingers with hers. "A week of sex. I've loved you longer."

Eva felt her heart swell. He always knew what to say to make her smile. He always knew what to do to make her laugh. She lived for these stolen moments with him. When her alarm went off last night, he'd woken up and apologized for falling asleep waiting for her. She didn't mind. Being by him was enough, she explained. Holding him was enough. Leaving him for her own cold bed was the hard part.

"So, I have an idea. Arden and I have reservations for a cabin for the 4th of July? At the campground I told you about? Harry isn't going. He hates it and I asked him last night again, just to be sure. So, you and the kids should come. There is plenty of room. It had 3 bedrooms. They are tiny, but they all have double beds? The boys can share one, you and Ava is the other and me in the master. It will be so fun. 6 days, 5 nights. Fireworks, activities everyday. There is a drive in movie theater less an a half hour away. There is even child watch, if we need it. Arden loves the child watch because they are right near the playground. He asks to go."

Liam laughed. "Slow down. Sure, we will go. Soph won't care. I'm more worried about now. I want to be alone with you. I blew it last night."

Eva leaned into him, kissing him lightly. "Nobody can see us right now." She kissed him again, harder.

"Don't start now." Liam said. "If I can't have all of you, I don't want any. I can't handle it. I just want to touch you all over and I can't, so wait. Okay?" Eva just giggled and ran a finger up his bare arm. He flinched and pulled his arm away, giving her a dirty look. "You are evil." he said.

"And you love it."

Liam smiled at her. "I do."