Part 12

Eva loved being a mom. She loved waking up at night and feeding Arden. She loved how happy he was after she put on a clean diaper. She loved naptime. She loved playtime. Walking around the store, with Arden in his seat, made her feel proud. The baby even made Harry more attentive. He came home early to see the baby. He changed diapers and helped fold laundry. He was beyond happy, determined to be a better father than his own father had been.

Arden slept between them every night in a special co-sleeping bed. She woke up to Harry with his hand on Arden's tummy nearly every morning. It gave her hope. Maybe being a father was the push he needed to be a better husband, too.

At six weeks old, she moved Arden to a bassinet. "What's this all about?" Harry had asked.

Eva grinned and threw her arms around Harry. "The doctor cleared me today. We can make love tonight. We just have to use a condom. Is that okay?"

Harry grinned at her, grabbing her around her waist and pulling her close. "Really?" he said. "Is that baby asleep? I've missed you." Eva nodded and let herself melt into Harry. He kissed her neck, pulling her over to the bed. He laid her down, removing her clothes and his before climbing on top of her, touching her everywhere, setting her skin on fire. He reached for the bedside table, pulled out a condom. "Help me." he breathed into her ear. She rolled it on and laid back as he hovered over her. "God, I've missed this." said, sliding into her. He stopped and made a face. He pulled out slightly and thrust again. "Owe. Ouch. Christ." Harry said, pulling out again. "Something is wrong. Something is wrong." He tried again. He cried out in pain and fell to the side.

"What, Harry? What's wrong?" Eva cried.

Harry was writhing in pain. "Get it off." he cried. "Get it off!"

In a panic, she reached over and took off the condom. He reached his hand down, touching himself and brought his hand up to his face. "Oh my god. Oh fuck! I'm bleeding. I'm bleeding! It's bleeding!"

Eva recoiled in horror. "Oh, god! What did I do? I'm sorry. I'm sorry."

Harry didn't even answer. He jumped up and hurried into the bathroom. She heard the shower turn on but she couldn't move. She was confused. She didn't know what to do. "Evangeline!" he hollered. "Help me, dammit!"

Eva made herself move. She rolled off the bed and went into the bathroom. Harry was standing in the shower, washing himself. "What can I do?" she asked. "What can I do?"

"Can you look, please? See what's wrong? It burns. It burns so bad!" His face was contorted in pain.

She nodded and opened the shower door. He lifted his penis, showing her the underside. It was rubbed raw, small spots of blood showing up on the skin. "It looks like a rug burn? Or maybe a scrapped knee? Like, some of the skin came off? Uh, I'm not sure..."

Harry shook his head. "Fine. It's fine. Just go. GO!" he yelled. Eva hurried out of the bathroom, afraid. Somehow, she'd hurt Harry.

*******************************

The school held a family dance just before the end of the school year. They decorated the gym with streamers and lights. The cafeteria held refreshments. Fun music blared from the speakers. Liam, Eva and the kids had found a corner of the gym and were dancing to 80's pop music, having the time of their lives. They'd eaten greasy pizza and drank cold orange pop. All of the kids had orange mustaches and big grins, dancing in a circle.

The song changed to a bouncy song and Liam grabbed Eva around her waist, taking one of her hands, dancing her around, spinning her in a circle. Putting both hands on her waist, he lifted her, throwing her on one side of his hip and then the other before sliding her between his legs. She slid across the floor and he turned, grabbing her hands and pulling her back up, wrapping his arms around her middle. He pulled her close and looked into her eyes. "Evie." he said. He raised one hand, running his thumb down her cheek before leaning down, kissing her lightly.

Eva stepped back, blushing. "I..." she started before turning, grabbing Arden and hurrying out of the gym. She raced home, pulling Arden along, finally carrying him when he complained. Once inside, she told him to go shower before hurrying into her own bedroom. She raced into the shower, turning it on as hot as it would go, scrubbing her face, her lips, crying. Crying because Harry never kissed her. Crying because she was lonely. Crying because she wanted Liam to kiss her. Crying because she liked him, more than she should. Crying, just to cry.