Part 14

"Stop. Liam, Stop." Eva said, pulling away. "I heard the garage door. Harry's home."

Liam stood up, looking around. "Ya. We shouldn't...I can't...The kids..." he said, pointing to his house. "I should..." Eva nodded and turned away. "Eva...I...We...."

Eva waved her hand. "Don't. Don't think about it. I understand. Sophia is beautiful. I'm...not. I understand. You can't risk it." Eva turned and ran back into the house, leaving a confused Liam on the patio.

Eva made it to the kitchen before Harry walked in. "Hey, Eva. You are awake?" She nodded. "Is there food?" Before she could answer, Harry continued. "Wait. No. Dance tonight. I'll just make a sandwich or something." He turned and headed out to the living room and up the stairs.

Eva followed. "Harry." she said, walking into the room and sitting on the bed. She heard him mutter something from the closet. "Did you ever love me? Or was it all about this place? Having a reason to move here? The golf club? The boat?"

Harry's head popped out of the closet. "What in the hell are you talking about? The golf club?"

Eva took a breath. She was going to say something she'd wanted to say for years. Something she'd always wondered about, but had never asked. She'd always wanted a family. She'd given into Harry and all of his shortcomings because she was afraid of being alone. "I mean, you married me so that you could get into the golf club. You wanted to live here and have your boat. As soon as we got engaged, you stopped paying attention to me. We never talked or anything after that. You don't even look at me. All you do is play your game and work. And golf. At the club. I mean, I'm not beautiful or pretty, even. My eyes are too big, my hair is too curly. I'm so short. Why did you do this to me? What was it all about?"

"What? You don't think I ever loved you? Or do love you? I...I don't even know what to say. Why have you never said anything before? Of course I love you. Of course you are beau..."

Eva threw up her hand. "Stop. Don't lie to me. If you loved me, you'd know how sad I am, how lonely."

"Eva..." Harry said.

Eva shook her head. "Stop." She walked into the bathroom, changed into her pajamas and walked back out. Harry was sitting on the bed. "I'm going to sleep in the guest room. I don't want to be around someone who doesn't love or appreciate me."

"Eva. Stop. It's not because of you. I mean, I don't want to be around you because it hurts me..." Harry said.

"Stop. You didn't want to be around me even before the BXO." Eva said. She walked out of the room, shutting the door behind her. Harry walked out, following her down the hall. She went into the guestroom, locking the door behind her. Harry knocked. "Go away. I'm not going to talk anymore tonight." Eva crawled into the bed and closed her eyes, the stress of the day knocking her out and pushing her into a deep sleep.

Eva woke up to Arden knocking on the door. "Momma? Momma? Daddy is gone. You can open the door. I'm hungry." Eva sat up and pushed off the covers, sighing. She looked around, realizing that she'd have to clean in this room, too. She'd just increased her normal Saturday routine. Arden knocked again. "Eggs, Momma? Toast?"

"Yes, sure. Of course. I'm coming." she answered. She hurried out the door to take care of the only person who truly loved her.

Liam: I need to see you. I think you misunderstood.

Eva: I'd rather not. Please leave me alone, okay?

Eva hid in the house the entire weekend. Monday was the last day of school. The next day was the last teacher day. Arden went to spend the night with his grandparents so she wouldn't have to worry about her last day. Eva could close down her classroom for the summer and pick him up when she was done. Then, they were going to spend a few days with her parents, camping in the northern part of the state. She hadn't spoken to Harry or Liam for that matter, since the night of the dance. Whenever Harry tried to speak to her, she just walked away. She didn't want to hear lies or excuses. She'd reached her limit.

Liam: Meet me for lunch? We get an hour.

Liam: Please?

Liam: I don't think you understood what I was trying to tell you.

Liam: You are beautiful.

Liam: Me leaving had nothing to do with Sophia.

Liam: I don't want to ruin your marriage like mine is. Being cheated on feels so humiliating. I don't want to do that to Harry. I feel like less than a man, knowing that I'm not enough for Sophia. I don't want to do that to Harry.

Eva: Just stop. Please. I am the one who feels humiliated.

Liam: I am coming to see you. Right now. Don't even try to stop me.

Moments later, Liam banged on the window of her classroom. "Open the door and let me in." he called. "Now." He pointed to the door. She walked around to the outside door of the building, pushed it open and then hurried back into her own classroom. Liam followed, trying not to run and attract attention. When he reached her room, he pulled the door shut. Eva was standing in a corner, covering a bookshelf. "Evie..." he started.

"Save it." she said. "I don't want to hear it. I'm tired of this. I just wanted a friend, Liam. I just didn't want to be lonely anymore. And you had to go an ruin it by kissing me and making me think that maybe I was enough for someone, but I'm not. I'm not. I'm not enough for Harry to try to get help. I'm not enough for you to...."

Liam grabbed her and shook her. "Stop. You are more than enough. I don't want to ruin your marriage. Us, this...whatever it is, it's not right. And it's my fault, not yours. You are a perfect, beautiful, amazing woman. Far better than Sophia. But, doing this...it will hurt Arden. It will hurt Harry. It will hurt my kids. I just...I just want to go back to being your friend and I'm afraid I ruined that. I just couldn't stop myself. You are everything I ever wanted in a partner. You. But, I just don't know what to do."

"And you think I have the answer?" Eva turned and looked at him, eyes full of tears. "Let's just take some time apart and let everything cool down, okay? Arden and I are leaving for a few days. When we get back, everything will be normal, okay? Just, go home. Forget about this, me. When swim lessons start, we will be too busy to worry about trivial things, okay? Just, go." Liam tried to speak, but she just held up her hand. "Go."