Part 11

Spring moved on and before Eva knew it, it was all baseball all the time. They had practice twice a week and games every Saturday. There first game went amazingly awful. "I had no idea that tee-ball was so spectacularly boring." Eva laughed. Nobody ever seemed it get an out and the innings went on forever. After every team member hit, they switched and the other team hit. Tee-ball was given two hours on the fields, from 9am to 11am. After that, the pitching machine games started and they had to move on. The score ended up being 27 to 29, their team leading.

"We won!" Liam yelled, all of the kids running to him and jumping into a huge group hug that ended with Liam flat on his back. One by one, Eva pulled the kids up and away from him. He reached up his hand and Eva pulled him up. He pulled her straight into his arms, holding her tight. "We won!" he said, softer, resting his lips on the top of her head. She let herself sink into his arms, enjoying the human contact and smell of his cologne.

"Mom!" Arden yelled, shaking her out of her trance. Liam stepped back, letting her go. "Can we get pancakes? I'm starving."

She looked back at Liam, locking eyes. "Sure." she said. "Liam?" He nodded, his eyes not leaving hers. She blinked first and looked away.

***********************************

Eva had the baby on a sunny October day. Harry held her hand the entire time, encouraging her to push. After he was born, they lay together in her bed, looking at the baby. "We did, Eva. We did it." he said.

Eva smiled. "Arden."

"Are you still set on that?"

Eva looked at him, horrified. "Yes. We agreed."

"You agreed. I never got a choice."

Eva clutched the baby to her chest and moved her eyes down. "But, it's his name."

Harry sighed. "Why can't we just compromise? Charles Arden. Then, when he gets older, he can be Charles if he doesn't want to be Arden. I mean, it's not a name!"

Eva blinked back tears. She nodded and closed her eyes, pressing her lips to the babies head. She'd let him have his way. She'd agree. She'd keep the peace, because that is what she did. She'd didn't argue. She let him have his way. He did what he want, when he wanted. He didn't help her with the house. He'd even stopped helping with the yard and trash. She was doing everything herself, calling on her dad to do the things she didn't know how to do. This was her life. This was the choice she made. She'd live for the moments when he did pay attention to her and love her baby. And she'd NEVER call him Charles.

***************************************

"I've got the summer planned, Liam! We just need to mail the registration." Eva carried papers and two cups of coffee to the patio table. "Cream, two sugars, right?"

Liam smiled and nodded. They'd drunk so many cups of coffee together, that they just knew each others order. Liam knew she preferred Cafe' Mocha, extra cream and yellow sweetener. If he was making the coffee or driving thru, he didn't even ask any more. She knew his order. Things were easy between them, like that. He enjoyed spending time with her. She was easy to talk to, they had the same interests, they liked the same shows and movies. He found that he was spending more time on her patio that he was at his own house. The kids played between the two yards while they chatted. He looked forward to it, everyday. They had even begun taking turns making dinner. Neither of their spouses were home. They just made extra and left it covered, Harry not knowing that half of his meals were cooked in Liam's kitchen. "So, the whole summer, you say?" he asked.

Eva nodded, eagerly. "Yes. Want to hear?" Liam nodded. She smiled. "Okay. Monday, Wednesday, Friday, swimming at 11. Then, on Monday's at 2, there is a free kids program at the library. Reading, crafts. It's super fun. Arden loves it. Tuesday is sports class at 10 until noon. It's at the park. They do baseball, basketball and soccer. Wednesday afternoons are open, free play time, right?"

Liam nodded, amused by all her plans. Sipping his coffee, he peaked at her over the rim. He was resisting the urge to brush her long, dark hair away from her face. She looked up and smiled. "What?" she said, grinning. He shook his head.

"Nothing. Keep going." he answered.

She looked back down at her list. "Okay. That brings us to Thursday. Now, my sister works up at the camp? Camp Cavitt? She got me a great deal on day camp for the kids. Twenty bucks at day! We take them to the bus at 8 and pick them up at 5. That can be my day to clean and shop. Weekends are for boating and camping. Do you kayak? Do you camp? How do you feel about the beach? Friday afternoons at lighthouse beach are great. Never crowded. Lakeside beach has that new splash pad. Arden and I bike there. We have a double bike? He really wants to ride himself, but I'm not ready to let him."

Liam was laughing out loud, now. "Slow down! Uhm, it all sounds great. I've never kayaked? But I camp and all that. Jamie is great on his bike, but I still need to pull Ava. Are you always this organized?"

Eva nodded. "Yes." she said, seriously. Liam through his head back, roaring with laughter. Eva just sipped her coffee, smiling to herself. She really liked Liam's laugh. She had to stop herself from thinking that she loved it. She pushed the forms over to Liam. "Here. You just need to sign these. And fill in the doctor info on the camp forms. I knew all the other information. I'll be right back." Eva ran into the house and got her envelopes. When she came back out, Liam had to papers folded. "Okay, camp here." She handed him an envelope. "Swim and sports here. And we don't have to sign up for Library. We just go!"

Liam laughed again. "Okay. I trust you'll remind me when we need to go to things?" Eva nodded. Liam shook his head. "You are just to good to me, Eva. Someday I'll figure out a way to help you."

Eva looked at him with tears brewing in her eyes. "You already have. Just being my friend is enough, Liam. It's nice to not be alone."

Liam reached over and touched her hand. "It's nice for me, too, Evie. It's nice for me, too."