Part 9

Arden raced up the stairs and went straight into his bathroom. Eva moved at a slower pace, creeping down the hall and peaking into the bedroom. Harry was sitting on end of the bed, head in his hands. She pushed open the door and stared at him. He looked up, showing Eva his grief filled face. "Eva!" he said. "There you are. I was worried...I thought maybe...I came home early...to...to apologize. I over reacted last night. I know you are unhappy, Eva. I know you are. I just don't know what to do? How to fix it?"

Eva was surprised. She raced over to him, sitting next to him, taking his hand. "I'm sorry, too, Harry. I nag too much. I complain too much. I'm a horrible wife, Harry."

"Stop. You aren't and you don't. Tell me the truth. Why are you so hard on yourself? It's me, okay? I know it's me. I've been talking to my sister. She's told me what an ass I am, okay? I don't help you, I'm never home. When I am home, just want to relax. I'm frustrated and I take it out on you. Tell me the truth. Are you happy?"

Eva sighed. "No. No, I'm not. I feel like your mother and not your wife. Is that what you want to hear? I cook, I do your wash, I clean up after you. I miss you. I miss..." She leaned forward and kissed him, putting her hands up and into his hair, pulling him close. She moved her mouth over his, working her tongue into his mouth. She felt him respond, pulling her close.

His hands ran up her back and he moaned. "I've missed you, too, Eva." he said. "So much." Suddenly, he pushed her away. "Stop. Don't. You know I can't..." He jumped up and ran to the bathroom. Moments later she heard the shower turn on. Dropping her hand into her hands, she sobbed.

******************************

Eva and Harry started trying for a baby that night. And every other night after that for six weeks. She walked into her classroom on the morning of the forty second day of 'trying', saw the fetal pigs she had ordered floating in the preservation liquid, ran to a sink in her classroom and threw up her entire breakfast of cereal and juice. Her partner teacher, Mrs. Jones, opened the door between their rooms. "Are you okay?" she asked.

Eva wiped her mouth and stood up. "The smell..." she said. "It just hit me and my stomach turned. It never bothered me before. God, that was just..." She turned, retching into the sink.

"You're pregnant." she laughed. "Same thing happened to me, all three times. A smell hits you just right and bam! Barfing in the sink."

"But...I can't be...I mean...we just..."

Mrs. Jones just laughed.

Eva stopped on the way home for a test. She left it on the counter, right where Harry always set his keys. She made a quick casserole and stuck it in the oven before going to lay down. She was suddenly very tired.

When Harry arrived home, Eva was still sleeping and the timer was going off, indicating that the food was ready. He pulled out the slightly over browned casserole and went to find Eva. He shook her gently. "Eva?" he said. "Are you okay? Are you sick?"

Eva's eyes fluttered open. "Harry." she breathed out. "Did you bring the present I left for you? By your keys?"

Confused, Harry shook his head. "Hang on." He jumped up and went back into the kitchen. He saw the box sitting on the counter and grabbed it. "Really?" he shouted, running back. "Really?"

Eva sat up. "Well, maybe? I was sick this morning and I am late. My period is, that is. I didn't notice before. Until I got sick? So, I bought the test. I wanted to wait for you." she smiled at him.

He smiled back and helped her up. "Well, I'm here." he said, dragging her to the bathroom. "Let's do this."

Harry insisted on coming into the tiny bathroom. She made him turn his back and read the directions. She did just as he said and then set it on the counter, waiting. "You said three minutes, right?" He nodded and they both watched as the blue plus sign appeared. They locked eyes, smiling. The two of them were about to be three.