Chapter 3 - Interuption

Layla's POV

Today went ok considering I had to do an emergency blood transfusion and win the council's approval to keep Nyx here and safe. Speaking of Nyx, I have a bodyguard. Or would Nyx be more of an assistant since she isn't actual protection from the council or anyone, it's common knowledge that humans are not capable of standing a chance to what they deem as supernatural. Regardless, she works for me now and if I'm being truthful, I'm excited. I have someone to talk to who isn't an awful creature.

"Tell me again why I'm doing all this reading?" Nyx asked from her seat. We've been sitting in my study for a few hours now. It was a decent room. The walls were aligned with bookshelves full of models and anatomy explanations of every species known on this earth. My desk sat towards the back, a single ceiling lamp illuminated the room. Nyx was sitting on a leather seat in the corner, her legs resting on the arm of the chair.

"Because you need to be familiarized with what I do so there will be fewer complications down the road." I answered without looking up. I was too busy filing all the paperwork on Nyx's procedure and what happened at the fighting arena to really pay attention to what she was doing.

"Uh huh." She grunted. An hour goes by, I've barely made a dent in all the paperwork but I at least got Nyx's file sorted out. Now only if I could concentrate on-

"So, how many members are a part of the Council?" I looked up when Nyx asked. Her eyes were still trained on the current page she was on. It appeared to be that she was reading but apparently her thoughts were elsewhere.

"Thirteen. You already met Aldrich. He's the department of psychology. He studies how every species on this earth thinks and acts." Nyx finally looked up.

"Why does he hate humans so much?" She asked with a bored expression. I slowly rub my face. It has been a long day, maybe I'll turn in soon.

"He believes humans are the weakest mentally. You're easier to break than any other living species." Once the words left my mouth, I realized that I spoke without thinking. I snapped my head up to look at Nyx. She raised an eyebrow at me. "Not that you specifically are mentally weak! It just that given the average of human-" The look on Nyx's face stopped me. She was smirking. "What?"

"You're easily flustered." I opened my mouth to argue but no words came out. She wasn't wrong.

"Concentrate on your reading." I ordered. She rolled her eyes and then flipped a few pages.

"Ok how about him," She squinted at the page. "Silman?"

"Syren." I corrected.

"You have horrible penmanship." Now I'm the one rolling my eyes.

"What about him?"

"What's his department?" Nyx asked while getting up from her seat. She started to stretch, I can't blame her, she's been in that position for multiple hours.

"He studies location," Nyx made her way over to my desk, "He keeps up with all the locations of where all the species tend to migrate and live."

"And what about you?" She asked. Nyx was behind me and leaned over me to look at my paperwork. Yet again, I can feel the warmth, the heat that radiates off of her is such a nice change compared to the usual chill that surrounds me.

"I'm in charge of," I stopped myself. I could feel her gaze on me, so I turned to make eye contact. She was really close to me. Our faces had to be at least six inches away. "I-I'm in charge of the medical practice of all species." Nyx smirked again.

"You really are easily flustered." Damn her. "Also, that shade of pink looks good on you." She winked at me before turning and walking away. Pink? I quickly start looking down at my clothes. I'm not wearing pink. I hear a grunt from across the room. I look up at Nyx. She sat down in her chair and tapped her cheek with her finger. My hands quickly go to mine. My cheeks got pink? I didn't think that was possible. "Would you look at that, now they're red!"

"Nyx!" I shot a glare at her. Nyx could only smirk at me.

"What? Bright red looks lovely on you just as much as the pink did."

I opened my mouth to lecture her when Nyx's body language changed. She then quickly stood up. Right after she stood, someone knocked on the door.

"Come in." I called. The door slowly opened.

"I hope I'm not interrupting something, Ms. Braxton." I shot up and onto my feet, banging my knees on my desk in the process.

"Priestess Ivah! No not at all please come in, have a seat!" I quickly try to organize the mess on my desk. Ivah gently closed the door. She was older looking. Granted she was older than any of us. I believe around the age of 587 but the age she was when she turned into a vampire was 73. Her hair was silver and pulled back into a tight braid.

"Please child, don't fuss like that. You're stressing me out just by looking at you." Ivah then sat down in the other remaining seat.

"Sorry," I murmured before slowly sitting down. "What brings you here Priestess? If you don't mind me asking." Ivah shrugged.

"I can't visit my former pupil from time to time?" I opened my mouth but quickly shut it before saying anything else. "Besides I wanted to meet the human under my protection." I turned to look at Nyx. She was still tense and standing by her seat.

"Yes of course. Priestess, this is Nyx the human from the arena." I motioned for Nyx to come over. She hesitated for a second before cautiously walking over.

"So this is the girl that we found in the pit." Ivah commented, letting her eyes roam across Nyx's figure, getting a good view. It burned me up for some apparent reason.

"And this is this Priestess of the Council of Lycree, the woman who single handily brought a number of human fighting pits to amuse others to protect her ass from the backlash of her Proposal to keep humans safe from every creature under her command." Nyx commented back. Ivah smiled and nodded.

"This one has a mouth on her. I like her." I felt my mouth open in disbelief at the interaction. "Now, Nyx," Ivah started. She gently took Nyx's hands in her own. "I'm doing my best to make sure you are not harmed while you're here but, we've run into a bothersome problem." Nyx raised an eyebrow. "I'm not sure I can keep the popular vote to let you stay. You need to convince the Council that you're worth keeping."

Nyx pulled her hands away and quickly crossed her arms. She glanced my way, her eyes begging for instructions. I just stared back not knowing what to say. She looked back at Ivah.

"What do I have to do?" She asked. The Priestess simply smiled at her.