Chapter 7 - Hungry

Layla's POV

I can feel my stomach churning and it's so uncomfortable. I shouldn't have kissed her. I can usually stop myself from giving into my urges. Why did I break?

"Layla!" Shit. Nyx would follow me. I can't be near her. I'll just want to feed. I need to stay away. I'm so hungry. No Layla stop. Suppress it. You're stronger than this. Am I? I'm the weakest vampire in the Council.

"Where are you?" Ignore her and focus. Look at what's around you. I'm sitting under the large wisteria tree and I sat on the ground near the trunk. Around me were bushes full of blue delphinium flowers. The blue was bright against all the green and browns of the garden. They remind me of Nyx's eyes. No, I can't think of her. What else is around here? There were random spurts of dianthus flowers, light pink and happy looking. Nyx's lips come across my mind. They shared the color of these small flowers. I sighed giving up my attempts to distract myself.

"Everything just reminds me of her." I muttered before running my hands through my hair.

"Remind you of who?" I turned to see Nyx. She ducked under one of the low hanging branches and walked a few paces closer.

"Please don't do this." I begged. Nyx looked confused before ignoring my request. She came a few steps closer and knelt down.

"What am I doing wrong?" She asked trying to look me in the eyes. I couldn't meet them. I don't want her to see the true me.

"I can't be near you right now." I answered. I pulled my knees to my chest.

"I think you can." I looked up at Nyx. How would she know? She hasn't dealt with this hell. She's never had to starve herself just to keep her sanity. She doesn't know my level of self control. "Your eyes are brown again." She told me. I did start to feel my hunger pains disappear. She then moves and slowly sits next to me. I just need to concentrate and then we'll be fine.

"Why are you so persistent on pushing my boundaries?" Nyx laughed slightly. I think this is the first time I've heard her laugh. It was a deep chuckle and threw me into a loop. It was an attractive laugh that fit her perfectly. Nyx then leaned back against the tree.

"Only because you're just as persistent when it comes to mine." I stopped and looked at her. She looked at me and sighed. "Don't give me that confused look." She ordered. "You know damn well you're obsessed with trying to figure me out. I see the way you watch my every move. The way you monitor me, it's almost like being a caged animal. You fight with my about the bandage on my neck. You constantly try to pull me away from anyone in the Council that gets to close. You've pinned me against a wall and touched the scar I hate the most. You show me a different side of you and you even kissed me. Do you honestly believe that isn't pushing my boundaries?"

I opened my mouth but nothing came out. Nyx was frustrated. I could tell in the tone in her voice. I have pushed her limits more than I should have. Damn. I just keeping messing up.

"I don't mean to I'm just a little-"

"Protective." Nyx answered for me. She looked at the ground and picked one of the dianthus flowers. She examined it slowly before placing it in her lap. "You're not the only one." I turned to look at her. This time I really looked at her body. She's physically fit. Her arms are toned with muscle and has broad shoulders. Nyx's thighs are wide with the amount of muscle there as well. Even though she was a thicker build. She looked so small wrapped in all of those bandages. Small and defeated.

"I'm sorry for what I've caused." I murmured. Nyx tilted her head towards me.

"Don't worry about it." She fumbled with the flower and gently rolled the stem in between her fingers before speaking again. "I'm sorry I didn't listen." She told me. "I should have cleaned up my lip and I shouldn't have kissed you." Nyx wouldn't look me in the eye now. I felt a sigh leave before hesitantly wrapping my arm around her shoulders. Gods she's so warm but her body stiffened when I rested my arm on her.

"To be fair, I kissed you first." I then turned. "I didn't have enough self-control. You were so kind to me and I was so scared and I could smell the blood." Finally, Nyx relaxed enough to lean into me.

"So Vampire's eyes turn red when they taste blood." She commented. I nodded.

"Only turned vampires." I felt Nyx tilt her head back so I looked at her. She was looking right back at me with and interested look.

"What's the difference between a turned vampire versus a normal one?" She asked. I sighed.

"Turned vampires were once humans who weren't turned properly. They tend to look more human and have more human qualities. Pure vampires went through the proper turning ritual." I then shifted slightly, the scars from my turning made me feel uncomfortable. We sat in silence for awhile before I got the courage to speak again. "I told you why I kissed you. Are you able to tell me why you kissed me right after?" Nyx pulled away and rubbed her face.

"That would be fair." She murmured. Crap. I'm overstepping my boundaries again.

"You don't have to-" I stopped myself again when Nyx moved again. She straddled my legs and sat on my lap. She placed her hands on my shoulders. Her blue eyes bore into mine. Instinctually, I reached up and gently brushed the hair away from her face.

"I've been alone my whole life." She admitted. "I never had anyone like that. I guess I jumped to conclusions but it was more instinct than anything. 24 years of no connection towards others and here you are, saving my life and actually giving me a purpose again." I felt my eyes widen as I looked at her. Nyx's cheeks were turning pink. I gently held her cheek. She refused to look at me and pushed her face into my hand. "I guess I was hungry for an actual connection now that I'm not worrying about how I'll make money to live. Is that stupid?" She asked. I smiled warmly.

"No. It's understandable." I answered. Nyx glanced up at me and her cheeks became a darker pink. "Look who's flustered now." I teased. Nyx thought about it and then looked at the position we were in.

"I, uh-" Nyx tried to pull away but I gripped her hips and kept her in place. She looked at me slightly surprised. "I should probably-" I pulled her close to me and kissed her hard. I could have made my actions a little more smoothly. We smacked foreheads before our lips meeting each other. I pulled away and looked up at her.

"You want a special connection with someone and I need someone to help control me. Maybe we can help each other out." I suggested. Nyx scanned my face. She was in a state of disbelief. "What do you say?"

Nyx the brought her hands to cup my cheeks. Her hands were calloused and rough but her movements were gentle and careful. She then leaned down and we lip locked once more. I pulled Nyx against me for better leverage. After a few moments, Nyx pulled away.

"Is that a good enough answer for you?" She asked slightly out of breath. I smiled at her. She really didn't much experience when it came to kissing but she was trying.

"Yes." I answered. She smiled at me rested her head on my shoulder. Her shoulders rose and fell with every breath she took. "Just breathe." I murmured to her. She simply nodded at me. I can feel my stomach churn again. It wasn't from my hunger this time. It was more like butterflies. What did I get myself into?