thirteen

I woke up, I coughed up water. I felt dizzy and cold. I sat up to see Johnny and Pony. Pony was consoling Johnny, who held a switch covered in blood. I went to question what happened, but I saw a lifeless body laying in a pool of blood. "I think I'm gonna be sick." I grimace and throw up by a set of swings.

"H-he was trying to drown ya, and another one was chokin' Pony. I had to! They weren't letting up!" Johnny shook violently.

"It'll be okay Johnny, we got get out of here though." Pony said.

We ran to Buck's place, knowing Dallas would be there. I marched into the place, not caring to wait. Dal had some broad on him, I quickly pulled him away. "Johnny killed a Soc!" I yelled over the music.

Dal looked over at Johnny and Pony, then lead us up to his room. "Good for you, Johnny." Dallas said, handing him a gun.

"We're gonna have to sneak over to your house to grab you somethin'." Dally told me.

He threw a big flannel at me with a towel. "Wear this for now."

I dried off while he told the boys the plan. I slid the dress off, not caring if the guys saw me in just a thong. I slid the flannel on, it was huge on me. I turned around to see all three boys have eyes on me. "Come on, I expect that out of Pone, but you two?" I crossed my arms.

Dally rolled up in the alley behind our houses, Pony and I snuck into my room. Both of us changed quickly. Pony had left a bunch of clothes in my room, so he changed too. I slid on a sports bra, a pair of underwear, skinny jeans, my converse, a black t-shirt, and one of Pony's sweatshirts. I got a bag out and threw Ponyboy's book into it, along with a couple necessities. I also grabbed all of the money from the emergency jar. "Let's go." I whispered, jumping out the window and over the fence.

Dally dropped us off at the rail road tracks, "This train stops at Windrixville, get off and hide in the church on Jay Mountain. Get there and do not even once stick your noses out of the door. There's a water pump, so don't worry about that."

"Thank you Dal. I love you." I hug him and he throws his jacket on me.

"Stay safe, Miss Macy. I love you too." He tells me and drives away.

We hopped on the train and I swung the bag onto my back. We pressed ourselves up against the wall and didn't breathe when they checked the box. I sat between the two boys, I realized my face probably looked like trash. I just shrugged it off and laid my head against Ponyboy's shoulder. I hadn't realized it, but I was tired. I had passed out before the train started moving.

"Macy, Pony. Wake up." Johnny shook both of us.

It was all a blur, we hopped off the train and looked around. We were in the country.

"Macy, go ask that man where Jay Mountain is." Johnny pushed me. I didn't fuss, I handed Pony Dally's jacket and marched up to the old farmer.

"Excuse me sir, but could you direct me to Jay Mountain?" I ask sweetly.

"That away.. what's a little girl like you with all of that stuff smeared on ya goin' to Jay Mountain for?" He asked me suspiciously, point at the hill in a good distance.

"We're playin' army. That Ol' church is our base. We go really into it and made war paint." I smile, dang Macy. Good thinking.

"Oh well have fun!" He smiles and I wave.

I walk on the side of the field, Pony and Johnny popping up and following me. We finally get there and we all lay down on the blanket I packed. No one said anything, we were all drained. We all fell asleep quickly.