sixteen

Dal and I finally got out of the hospital, they gave me a pair of crutches that hurt my arms. I couldn't even wear skinny jeans. Steve bought me a bunch of sweats and a nice dress. I was excited to go home.

"Hey Derrick, you ready to rumble?" I smirked at the nurse.

"Get outta here hood, I don't wanna see you admitted again." He patted my shoulder.

Steve checked me out of the hospital, my bag slung over his shoulder. It was February 10th, a Friday. Pony and Johnny already went back to school. Soda let Steve borrow the truck to drive Dal and I home.

"Can I go to work today?" I asked Steve.

"Well sure, Dal you want me to drop you off at Buck's?" Steve asked.

Dal just wanted to go home, and home was my house. Steve happily dropped him off and drove us to work.

"Well hello there Miss Macy." Soda smiled as I get out of the truck.

"Hey Sode, came to help out." I smile crutching my way to the stool.

I sat down and organized candy boxes. Finally school let out and I heard Ponyboy's voice.

"Is Macy at the house?"

"She's working the counter." Soda answered.

"Why is she working?" Ooh Ponyboy sounds mad.

I get up and hop over to the open door, "Because I'm tuff and I want to help out. I gotta get back on my grind." I crossed my arms.

Pony and Johnny stood at the opening of the garage. Ponyboy smiled and ran up to me, picking me up and twirling me around.

"Well someone's happy." I smile, pushing a stray hair out of his face.

"I'm happy to see you out of the hospital." He grins and connects our lips.

"Okay you two, don't swallow each other." Johnny jokes.

Ponyboy sets me on my good foot and I hop back to my stool. The door opened and I was faced with a couple of Soc girls.

"You're the greaser that saved those kids." It was the red head that threw a drink at Dal.

"That'd be me." I shrugged.

"That means you know the kid that killed my boyfriend." Her voice was steady, but I watched her eyes water up.

"That kid saved me from your boyfriend, your precious little boyfriend tried to out his hands on me and then tried to drown me!" I felt the anger bubble up.

"Look, I came here to help. Bob was asking for it, I know he was. I want to testify at the court saying the kid did it out of self defense. Which I know he did.

I raised an eyebrow as the red head blinked tears away. "Fine, thank you."

"What's your name?" I asked.

"Sherry Valance, call me Cherry." She told me.

"I'm Macy. Now that kid you're talking about is Johnny Cade, he's like a brother to me. I couldn't imagine losing my boyfriend, but I'm telling you right now. If it wasn't for Johnny Cade my boyfriend and I could be dead because of yours." I explain.

"His name was Bob, he was asking for it. I knew he was cheating on me, but goddamnit I loved that boy." She cursed.

"I'm sorry this happened, it's not fair to any of us." I apologize.

"Everything will blow over, the guys are saying that Bob was asking for it. They'll pay the fine, you two get to stay with your brothers, and Cade will be not guilty." She gave me a sad grin.