Keep Myself Alive

(Agnes' POV)

Another day on the Pearl. I thought it would go just great, but my luck was just starting to make its way downhill.

"Oi, Agnes. Wake up!"

"Emory! Am I late?"

"No, but you're gonna be if you don't get in the kitchen!"

I jumped out of the bed and made my way to make the next meal for the crew. During breakfast though, I got questions. Questions that were making me start to doubt, possibly even regret my stay on the Pearl.

"Mr. Skullet! Why don't you take that hat off? Eh?" A crew member by the name of Scrum asked me.

"I've got a nasty scar. It's quite embarrassing."

"Can't see your eyes either!"

"Best you don't. Why does it matter how I look?"

"We need to know if we can completely trust ya!"

"Is my ship duty not enough?"

"Stop bothering the poor lass! He'll take it off eventually," Gibbs smiled, getting back to work.

"Of course I will!"

I left before anyone could spark up another theory, grabbing Emory to help me load the cannons.

"Yew alright? Seem a little on the edge this morning Agnes!"

"I am! I don't know how much longer I can keep this up, Emory!" I panicked.

"How much longer you can keep up what?" Gibbs asked, deciding to help us load the cannons.

"The crew's pestering!"

"Aye, I see. Remember what I told ya, none of us here care what scars or missin' limbs ya got. As long as you do your job and respect us and the cap'n, we're more than happy to help ya."

"Right, Mr. Gibbs....I just have my doubts."

"We all do, lad."

Me and Emory continued to shoot glances at each other while at work, knowing Gibbs didn't understand one bit. The loading took a good hour or so, but I was thankful that Gibbs left us so I could feel like I was in my own skin again.

"Best be gettin' in the kitchen. See ya," I sighed, skipping to the door.

"See ya."

I grabbed the next best thing for lunch; sea turtle meat. I wasn't quite fond of the smell, but it tasted amazing! I remember when my mom fed me it more than a few times.

"Mr. Skullet!" Jack called as I raised the hulls.

"Yes, Captain?"

"Sorry to load you mate, but would you please empty the buckets?"

"You mean—the buckets?"

"Aye."

"Yes, Captain." I wearily replied, not showing my distress to Sparrow.

I nearly puked while emptying the pungent urine and even more sickening fecal matter. This was quite possibly the worst job a crew member could get! I felt however that my purpose to join the Pearl was fading. I liked having purpose; traveling the sea! Having a job with my friend by my side that wasn't in a cramped bar, where everyone told you you weren't going to be worth anything—that you'd be in the same miserable place all your life.

I felt like this could be my calling...my parents calling. I know they were both born into it. My mom had picked it, but I had no clue if Jack had. There were still so many mysteries about him I had to figure out! I'd have to confront Gibbs about that, though. I'd be damned if I'd ask Jack!