Before the Worst

Third Person POV

The Shore of Tortuga, 1752

The splashing of the water was the only reassurance Agnes was being given. She began to grow worried about her mother, as she had just been injured from one of the trips she had just previously returned from. She only wished that the island contained a Doctor of some sort. The only other person she had to depend on besides her mother was her teacher.

Besides that, Agnes had nobody. What she would never dare to admit to anybody, however, was that she considered the sea a friend. Everyday she grew even more fond of the blue abyss, wondering what mysteries and adventure it possessed. Her mother always told her she was more like her father in that aspect, but, she had yet to meet her father, if she ever could.

What Agnes didn't know, however, was that she'd be meeting her father much sooner than she thought. She has begun to use the waters waves to moisten the sand, in which she often built whatever came to mind. For just turning five, Agnes was quite creative, always having new ideas budding into her mind. Agnes had become so preoccupied with her sculpture of a skull that she hadn't even noticed a ship coming near the docks they lived so close to.

It always bothered Angelica that they had lived so close to the dock, but, the sounds of ships and boats coming in and sailing off always eased Agnes to sleep. Except this time, though, she knew it was a big deal, she felt it. The ship looked far different from all the others, with its large frame and even more ginormous Jolly Roger waving in the wind. The commotion of the townspeople had become more loud and prominent as well.

"Mamá!" Agnes hollered, coming back inside the house.

"What is it my dear?" Angelica asked, holding her daughter close to her side.

"A ship! There's a ship that just pulled into the dock mamá! It looks different than the others I've seen! Everybody seems really surprised by it! Can we go see it mamá?! Please!" Agnes begged, ready to get down on her knees.

"Alright, let's hurry." Angelica sighed, trying her best to quickly follow behind her daughter.

"There it is!" Agnes called, pointing right to it.

The Pearl.

Angelica's eyes instantly widened, cursing herself for saying yes to her daughter. She wondered if Jack and his crew had even exited the ship yet. She didn't want to linger on the thought, however, so she quickly scooped Agnes up, walking her back to their home.

"Mamá! What are you doing?! Can't we see the captain?! Remember the last time a ship came here?! The captain gave me a gold coin! Please mamá!" Agnes whined, pounding her fists against Angelica's back.

"Alright my little worm! Just be careful, I cannot go up with you."

"Why not mamá?" Agnes inquired, not knowing the man she was about to encounter would be her father.

"No reason. You should meet a pirate by yourself for once." Angelica grinned, ushering her daughter to go on.

As Agnes made her way through the crowd, Angelica tried her best to keep her eye on her. Everyone cried out in joy as soon as they saw the captain leave the vessel, everyone roaring and clapping.

"Captain Sparrow's returned! Our prayers have been answered!" One man yelled, other men just ready to leave Tortuga with the infamous pirate.

"Sparrow?!" Agnes asked herself, not knowing if her ears had deceived her or not.

She decided not to linger on it, and instead try to get the captain to notice her. She frantically waved her hands in the air, trying her best to push past people. However, she still couldn't make it to him in time.