Pain Has a Memory

(Agnes' POV)

There I stayed in Henry's arms for the longest time, still not being able to comprehend all that had happened.

"Is she alright?" The woman called, finally regaining her consciousness.

"Physically, yes. Emotionally....it's going to take a long time," Henry sighed, rubbing my shoulders.

"Henry dear, you're tired. Let me take care of Agnes. You get some rest." She smiled as best she could.

"Perhaps you're right. Goodnight, Agnes. We all have your back, know that," he whispered, hugging me tightly once more, leaving me to the woman.

"Hello, Agnes."

I didn't say a word. I was convinced I had forgotten how to speak! Even if I wanted to or could, my voice must've been shot from the excessive screaming.

"I am so, so sorry for your loss, Agnes. You'll get through this, though. You're safe."

"Who are you," I was able to get out.

My voice was a crackly as could be.

"My apologies! My name's Carina."

I finally looked her in the eyes.

"H-Henry's fiancée?"

"That's me."

"Pleasure to finally meet you."

"Pleasure to meet a girl like yourself! Was excited when I was told about you!"

"I'm sorry," I spoke, holding my throat.

"Right, no apology necessary. You just rest those vocals of yours. Would you like me to lead you to your hammock?"

I nodded, Carina grabbing me up by my arms.

"I've got it from here. Agnes may stay in my cabin." Jack proposed, grabbing me by the shoulders.

If Jack was looking to talk, I couldn't, neither did I want to. Jack lightly placed me on the bed, looking at me just to get the slightest idea of how I felt. He didn't even know the start. I didn't make eye contact with him, I just stared down at the ground.

Jack left then returned, though I hadn't known with what.

"Ow," I whispered, looking over to see what exactly Jack was doing to me.

"Sorry, darling. May sting just a bit. Can't talk, can you?"

I shook my head.

"May take a few days to get your voice back. Took quite a beating, didn't you?"

I shrugged, analyzing what he had been doing to my arm. He wrapped it in white cloth, then looking at my face. His eyebrows scrunched together, full of concern. He must've just noticed the blood trickling down my face.

"My goodness, love!"

We wetted the cloth he held, wiping the blood and dirt off of my forehead, as well as the blood from my nose.

"I'm sorry, Jack." I whispered.

"Why are you sorry?"

"P-Part of me wanted to and did believe Angelica."

"Don't worry about it, love. You were just doing what any rational person would've done. Always, be skeptical. It's a good way to be."

"I guess."

"Get some sleep, darling. You desperately need it."

"Jack?" I asked, him getting back down on his knees.