Proximity Mines in the Complex

(Agnes' POV)

Surprisingly enough, my voyage on the Black Pearl had gradually revealed itself hopeful once more. I wasn't quite respected by all of the crew yet, but no one could deny my work. Emory seemed really happy. And if Emory's happy, I am. He's all I've known and trusted since my mom left me.

Sparrow told me that we'd reach land within the next week or so, that's when I'd get off. Me and Emory hadn't really talked of what he was to do, but I would fully support him if he would like to stay. Maybe I'd head back to Tortuga and promise to check up on his mom and sister for him. One thing that was for sure, was that I was never going back to my old job at the bar. Maybe I'd work at a tattoo parlor! Maybe for a blacksmith! Anywhere but the Pub.

"Ms. Agnes! You may take a break." I heard Jack call.

"No can do, Captain! I'm almost done!"

"It is beyond me how you're running on hardly any food and absolutely no sleep!"

"What can I say," I sighed.

"Have to live this one-time experience to its fullest."

I heard Jack wanting to start a word, but, it never quite came out. He just nodded and left me. I just hoped he was having doubts about kicking me off. There was still time. Plenty of time.

"Oi Agnes! What's Tortuga like these days! Haven't set foot on the place nor explored it for years!" Scrum smiled, making his way over as I still had my eyes focused on painting the walls of the ship.

"It's...well, quite boring if you'd like it from my perspective. I've lived there all my life. Without a doubt in my mind no one is satisfied where they are in that godforsaken island. That's one of the reasons why I left. We all want a better taste of what's out there. Perhaps the only good thing about Tortuga is they have the most delicious flavored ice cream with the freshest of fruit on the side!"

"Ice cream? What's an ice cream? Creamy ice?" Scrum asked, scratching the top of his head.

"Not one of you have had ice cream?!"

"Thought that was something only the Brits had!"

"Well technically, yes. But there's only one place in all of Tortuga that sells it! Costs a pretty penny, too! Took me three whole monthly payments to set aside some money and get myself some!"

"What does this ice cream taste like?!"

"Well, not ice for sure. Hm, it's like a custard looking mass that can melt, but it's cold and it tastes sugary and fruity, savvy?"

"Not really Ms. Agnes!"

"Once we get to land, perhaps we should get some ice cream," I joked, getting back to work.

"Ya've got a bit of an accent, don't ya Ms. Agnes?"

"I haven't really noticed! I'm half Spanish, half.....I have no idea. Only know me mum's heritage. Can guess my dad's possibly English."

"How do ya know that?"

"My mom told me."

"So, you've never met your dad?"

"Oh I have! He just, doesn't know I'm his daughter. Can't say he'd exactly be pleased he has one either."

"Oi, he will be once ya tell him you've worked on the Black Pearl!" Scrum smiled.

"Yeah, maybe."

"So what can ya say in Spanish?!"

"Not fluent at all. Me mum was never around to teach me, she didn't really care. I guess the only thing I know is, no soy la del cuento."