The Two Minute Date

A/N So I was watching How I Met Your Mother last night and saw the episode where Ted takes Stella on a Two Minute Date and was inspired!!! Happy Valentine's Day everyone!! Enjoy<3

"I'm sorry love, I have to work. Marshal called in sick and the clinic is swamped. Sarah needs my help."

"But John, we were supposed to go out for dinner. I made reservations."

"I know, I am so sorry, I promise I will make it up to you when I get home. I have to go, there are about thirty people in the waiting room and at least twelve more on the phones."

"What if I bring dinner to you? When is your dinner break?"

"I don't think I am going to be getting one tonight love, like I said, we are really swamped. I will text you when I am done. I really have to go now love." The line clicked off, leaving Sherlock disappointed and hurt. Today was Valentine's Day, their first one together as a couple, and Sherlock wanted it to be perfect. He normally hated the pointless holiday, but after watching John spend the last seven years wooing a new girl every year, he felt obligated to show up those old whores. He needed ideas, so he called the one person he trusted with relationship advice.

"Well, I never thought I would get a phone call from the great Sherlock Holmes. What seems to be the problem?"

"I need some advice."

"Did you and the Good Doctor finally shag?"

"Ms. Adler,"

"Oh goody, I have been rooting for you two. Anything exciting planned for Valentine's Day?"

"That is actually what I need advice for."

"Oh, what seems to be the trouble?"

"John has to work tonight and I had made plans and now he doesn't have time for me. How can I fix this night?"

"When he gets home give him the best sex he has ever had-"

"Irene, this is serious!"

"I'm sorry Sherlock, I just never thought I would be the one you would call for relationship advice."

"I can find someone else if you would prefer."

"Don't you dare, I am honored. Now, does John have a dinner break tonight?" They talked for nearly an hour, Irene had some great plans, and now Sherlock was busying himself around the flat, trying to gather everything he would need for tonight.

John was exhausted. The clinic was teeming with sick people and screaming children, as well as one guy that swore he fell on that cucumber. God he hated working on Valentine's Day. He felt bad for disappointing Sherlock; his boyfriend was rather sensitive when it came to John blowing him off for work. Sherlock had seemed really excited about this, babbling about how he had plans for tonight and how they were going to have so much fun. The door to his clinic swung open and Sarah poked her head in, looking ruffled and disheveled.

"Hey John, looks like things have slowed down a bit, if you want to take a break."

"Sure, thanks." He stood and scurried out, pulling out his phone and calling Sherlock. He needed to apologize. The phone rang twice before the familiar voice of his lover bled through.

"Sherlock, hey love, how you doing?"

"I am well John, I thought you had no time today?"

"There was a bit of a lull, I have a few minutes. I figured I would call and talk to my perfect boyfriend."

"I love you John."

"I love you to Sherlock. I miss you."

"Turn around John." John followed his lover's command and turned to see Sherlock standing not ten feet away, a dozen roses in hand and a soft smile on his face. He hung up the phone and grinned. "What are you doing here?" He asked; standing there in shock as the detective walked closer. When they were only inches apart, Sherlock leaned down and pressed a soft kiss to John's cheek, pulling a blush from the shorter man. He handed him the roses and took his hand.

"I arranged for you to have a short break so I could take you on a date. I missed you and I wanted to celebrate with you."

"That is so sweet Sherlock, but we don't have time for a date."

"Just trust me John. I hope you are hungry." Sherlock lead him quickly down the street, John letting out an involuntary giggle as they came up to a small table on the sidewalk that looked like it had been set for a romantic dinner. "Sit, I took the liberty of ordering for you, saves time." A waitress placed plates filled with salad in front of them and they only got a few bites in before the plates were taken away.

"What is this Sherlock?"

"The two minute date, a full date in less than two minutes, if that is all the time you have, then I shall make it work" More food was placed in front of them and John enjoyed a few bites of ravioli before that to was whisked away. Sherlock jumped up and drug John further down the street. He saw Lestrade sitting on a bench with a guitar.

"Greg, what are you doing here?"

"He is the entertainment." The Detective Inspector grinned and started playing a soft song on the guitar. Sherlock pulled John close and started swaying.

"You took me dancing?"

"I love dancing with you." John giggled as Sherlock spun him. Far too soon, Sherlock stepped back and started leading John back towards the clinic. They stopped at the same small table for a desert of crepes and tea, before continuing on back to the clinic. They stopped outside the door and John regretted their night was coming to a close.

"This has been the best Valentine's date I have ever been on." Sherlock grinned and kissed him, soft and sweet. John felt something being pressed into his hand and pulled away to look.

"I made sure all of your food was packed up so you could eat it later." John's heart swelled with love for the man before him.

"I love you Sherlock Holmes."

"I love you to John Watson." They kissed again, not caring if anyone was watching. "I should warn you though, this night is not over."

"Oh really, what else do you have planned for tonight Mr. Holmes?"

"Well Dr. Watson, it is a surprise, I did however leave you a hint in your little doggy bag." He winked and spun away, leaving John flustered and alone in front of the clinic. "See you in a few hours Dr. Watson." John grinned and opened the paper bag he was holding. Resting on top of the food containers was a shiny pair of handcuffs and John had to take a deep breath to stabilize his heart rate. This was going to be a long shift.