The Microwave

A/N Hey My Lovelies!!! So...I'm sure I'm not the only one here that hates the sound of the microwave beeping?? It's like a compulsion for me, I have to stop it before it beeps or I get a pretty serious spike of anxiety. I kind of like the thought of John having a weird little compulsion so I wrote this. Enjoy<3

"John!"

"Yeah?"

"The microwave." I listened with a smirk on my face as I heard John leap out of his chair and race for the kitchen. He stopped the microwave at 0:01, as he always did, and I could hear the satisfied sigh he released.

That was John's 'Thing'. He hated the sound of the microwave beeping.

I had no idea why he has this issue, but whatever the reason, it is the most adorable thing I have ever witnessed.

"Why do you do that?" I couldn't help myself. It had become a habit for myself as well and I was curious about the reasoning.

"Do what?"

"Stop the microwave before it beeps." John didn't answer as he pulled his soup out of the appliance, setting it on the counter and rifling through the drawer for a spoon.

"I don't know, I just really don't like the sound. Why?"

"No reason."

It was another few weeks before John used the microwave again. Once again, when it reached the final seconds, he was up and racing to shut it off. This time I was a little irritated by the action. We had been in the middle of a rather intense snog when he suddenly ripped himself away from me and all but sprinted to the kitchen.

"Really John?"

"What? It was going to beep."

"And you couldn't just ignore it?"

"No." John sounded timid, I knew he hated his little compulsion almost as much as I did in that moment. "I'm sorry Love, I can't help it."

"I know. Will you just please come back here so I can kiss you again."

"Hmm, gladly."

The next time it happened, I decided to see what would happen if I stopped him from reaching it in time. I jumped in front of him and flung him over my shoulder, carrying his squirming form back into the sitting room and dropping him on the sofa.

"Sherlock! What the fuck?"

"Just relax John, you don't need to stop the microwave before it beeps."

"Yes, I do! Sherlock, let me go!" I had climbed on top of him and was straddling his hips, keeping his arms pinned beneath my knees. We heard the microwave beep, and John's eyes widened. He squirmed harder, nearly bucking me off. "Sherlock! Get off me!"

"John, it's fine. Just breathe."

"Get off, or I will hurt you." There was a dark tone to his voice, one that I recognized from those rare times someone really pissed him off. I clambered off him and let him up. He stood and pushed me away, racing to the kitchen just before the reminder beep sounded.

John had been ignoring me for several hours now.

"John?" Nothing. "John, I'm sorry." He huffed and flipped me off before turning back to face the television again. He was furious. I had given him space, and he was still mad at me. I decided to text Lestrade for advice.

Gavin, I need your advice – SH

What did you do this time? – G

John is mad at me again – SH

What did you do? – G

Conducted an experiment that upset him – SH

Clean up your mess and apologize – G

There was no mess and I have apologized – SH

I don't know then, buy him flowers and promise to do whatever he wants you to do in the bedroom – G

So, I should bribe him with the promise of sex? – SH

Only as a last resort – G

Thank you, Geoff – SH

Still not my name – G

"John?" He still didn't respond. "I'm going out for a few minutes, I will be back soon." He flipped me off again as I left.

It took me far longer to choose the correct flowers than I had anticipated, and when I got back to the flat it was nearly dark out. Halfway through my little adventure I had realized that my phone was sitting on the coffee table back at the flat. When I walked through the door, I was greeted by a very frustrated John Watson.

"Where the hell were you? You left your phone and I couldn't get a hold of you." It appeared that he was speaking to me again.

"I told you before I left that I would be back soon."

"That was almost four hours ago Sherlock!"

"It's not my fault that you are incredibly difficult to buy flowers for." John's demeanour changed at those words. His expression softened and his eyes got slightly glassy.

"Y-you bought me, flowers?" I flushed and held out the bouquet of deep purple Calla Lilies, the flowers that matched the color of my shirt he loved so much. He took them in his hands and stared at them, looking as though he was unsure how to process this gesture.

"I'm sorry I upset you earlier. I really don't mind your compulsion, I find it rather cute to be honest. I just wanted to see what would happen if you didn't get to stop it. Please don't be mad anymore." My apology was cut short as he gripped me in a tight hug.

"I'm sorry Sherlock, I had no reason to act that way. I don't know what came over me."

"You have a compulsion and you were unable to fulfill it. It caused a spike in anxiety that caused-" He cut off my analysis with a kiss.

"I get it, I have OCD."

"You most certainly do not have OCD John, you just have a minor compulsion that is triggered by the microwave. It's just another little thing about you that I can love." John grinned, that special grin that he saves just for me, and kissed me again.

"You're an idiot."

"Yeah, but I'm your idiot."

"You make a valid point, Mr. Holmes."

"I love you, John."

"I love you to, Sherlock."