Chapter Eight

Before Baekhyun could say some words as a reply to the giant's revelation, Chanyeol's phone rang. As the sick person he was, Chanyeol was slow to pick his phone so Baekhyun caught a glance of the caller ID and it says Babe. A hundred percent sure it was Kyungsoo added the fact that Chanyeol had his picture on his contact.

Reluctant, the giant looked at the midget one as if asking for approval to which Baekhyun replied with a weak smile. "Answer it. I'll be going out first," putting the bowl back to its tray, Baekhyun quickly rose from his own bed. Feeling something on his chest weighing heavy, he left the quiet room. As soon as he closed the door, he walked down the stairs carefully, feeling his eyes starting to water.

He slumped back down when he felt his legs wobbled due to the pain he has within his system. He knew Chanyeol still loves him and he feels great about it. But Kyungsoo, he will always be Chanyeol's top priority. He thought that he should've not let the walls he built for years to be broken by the giant's words. But who can blame him? He longs for his ex-husband and it wasn't a good news to hear that he's going to marry another guy in no time. It has been his daily routine to question himself what happened to their happy marriage that it fell down to the legal courts. What he has done wrong that time? Why did he ended up signing those papers? What pushed Chanyeol to file an annulment? So many questions but still unclear for Baekhyun to answer. But now that Chanyeol told him the main reason of their broken marriage, do questions mentioned before were still relevant to ask? Or should he change it with: Is there really a need to break our marriage over that, Chanyeol?

Clouded with his own thoughts, Baekhyun didn't realized that Chanyeol was just behind him all this time and it pains the giant seeing his ex-husband, still suffering from their past relationship. As much as he wanted to loosen up more, he stopped himself. As what he said before, it will be the better for them to stay strangers or as friends. He caused Baekhyun tons of unbearable pain already, he can't stomach if his ex-husband will have another shot of pain when Chanyeol came back to reality. Sure that he wanted his ex-husband back but the reason why Chanyeol's being like this to Baekhyun is just because he wanted to make him feel good, at least before he tie knots once again.

"You're crying again because of me," Chanyeol decided to speak and it made Baekhyun jump in shock.

"W-what are you doing here?" Baekhyun replied back, wiping those warm liquids from his eyes. "You should go back to bed and help yourself feel better, Chanyeol."

Chanyeol shook his head and offered his hand to Baekhyun. When they're both standing, he pulled him for one last hug. "I don't want to see you crying anymore. The next time we will bump into each other, I hope you're happy already. Baekhyun, as much as I want to take you back, I don't have the nerve to claim you once again. I'm sorry. I'm sorry for always making you cry. I thought with this, I was able to make you happy. But I was wrong, I was just making it harder for you, right?"

Baekhyun shook his head as tears started streaming down his face again. "No, Chanyeol. Don't ever think of that. I'm just like this becauseㅡ"

"ㅡBaek. . ." Chanyeol smiled. "I want you to be happy, okay? Let's try to stop ourselves from talking to each other. I'm staying away from you starting tomorrow. Don't worry. I won't bug you anymore."

"Chanyeol, don't," Baekhyun solicited, holding tighter on Chanyeol's hands. "Chanyeol, you're the only one who can make me happy. Don't do this to me."

With one last kiss on his ex-husband's forehead, Chanyeol broke the skin contact and tried to put up his strong façade. "Don't settle for less, Baekhyun. Don't settle for me."