Chapter 3

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀< Poppy's POV >

Poppy was sitting in the windowsill of her house, gazing out at the busy, vivacious village as her fellow Trolls happily gathered and talked. Beyond the greenery of their home, Poppy could see a few Bergens passing the Troll Tree. She began to think about her old Bergen friend, Bridget, who had helped the Trolls escape death. She missed her dearly, but knew she was just tucked away in the castle with King Gristle as her new boyfriend...well, fiancé now. Their wedding would take place in about a month. She was surprised they had gotten married so quickly. Sure, Bridget might've had a large crush on Gristle since she was a child, but they didn't know each other that well. Poppy sighed, letting the thought drift from her brain. It didn't matter what they did. It was their life, not hers. But Poppy couldn't help envying the two.

Now as she sat gazing outside her house, her Trolls distracted from the thought of their sick former King, she spotted Branch nearby who appeared to be speaking with Cooper and Guy Diamond. Poppy tilted her head to the side in interest. Branch didn't usually speak to her other friends, because they annoyed him at times. She knew Cooper wasn't the brightest bulb in the chandelier, but he was a great friend.

Poppy was entranced by Branch's muscular bright blue body, his darker hair, and his usual nature-themed outfit. He had been on her mind constantly the past few hours and she felt a longing ache in her chest. But what was she longing for? She couldn't pinpoint it exactly, but she knew it had something to do with Branch. She had been feeling different about him since yesterday after their moment of affection. Poppy had tried not to think of her dying father. He had grown worse in the night and still, no one really knew what was wrong with him. Perhaps old age was taking its toll on former King Peppy.

Poppy leaned her head against the side of the windowsill. It was big enough and wide enough for her to sit neatly in it without any issues.

Poppy wanted to see Peppy, in case he died without her there to say goodbye before death's claws pulled him under. She shuddered at the horrendous thought. Oh, how her father must be suffering.

Poppy's attention snapped back to the grassy clearing below as Branch began walking away towards his house. He seemed quite busy, going back and and forth with things. Was he preparing for another Bergen attack? The Bergens don't wanna hurt us anymore, Branch. She wanted to say the words directly to him, to reassure him in case he still did not trust the ugly, monster-like creatures who once craved happiness from eating Trolls.

Poppy knew that if the Bergens decided to try and bring back Trollstis, Bridget would do everything she could to save them. She almost died saving them once before. Her Bergen friend was truly a great girl, and she felt that sadness of missing her again. It was hard for her to just leave the Troll Tree and travel to Gristle's palace.

Poppy hopped down from the windowsill finally. She winced as she felt aching pain shoot up her legs from keeping them in a bent position for too long. She just ignored it, and walked towards her house door, quickly exiting and racing out into the village. A few Trolls looked over to give her warm and sympathetic glances. Obviously they pitied her because of her father's near death. But she didn't want a bunch of Trolls all over her, telling her how sorry they felt for her. She needed to be strong, to appear strong. Peppy was right; they do need her.

The pretty pink Troll made her way to the former King's house because she just couldn't bear to be away from him any longer. She gently cracked the door open, peering in and seeing a dark room greeting her eye sight. She quietly stepped inside, trying not to awaken her father who was laying on his side, his closed eyes and gentle breathing telling her he was asleep.