Chapter 9

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Branch's POV >

Branch watched Poppy with a disbelieving gaze. She looked so miserable. Her luscious pink color had drained from her lithe, fragile body. Tears flooded the male's azure orbs, causing his vision to appear like smudged wet paint.

He rushed over to the Queen, pressing his hands on her shoulders and lifting her up. Her eyes were open, but she was staring off into nothingness. Her hair was frizzy, bags hung under her eyes, and her dress was dirty.

Branch rested her against the side of her bed. But she seemed lifeless and the male wondered if she was actually dead. That worry melted away when the sudden blink of Poppy's eyes came, and he caught sight of the gentle rise and fall of her flanks. She was alive. But she didn't look much so.

"Poppy?" Branch whispered, brushing a tangly strand of now-gray hair out of her face.

For the first time since he'd seen her like this, the pretty Queen turned her pink eyes towards his face. Her beautiful, sweet eyes were the only color that remained on her body. Everything else was as gray as a storm cloud.

Poppy opened her mouth just slightly, and a faint wheezing sound escaped. She clearly was trying to talk, but couldn't make out any words.

"Poppy, it's okay," Branch soothed the best he could. He was beyond worried. He didn't want to see her like this. She looked terrible. (In a sad-sick way, of course.)

Branch embraced the pretty Troll in his strong bright blue arms and pressed her to his chest. He let out a soft hum, quiet at first and slowly getting louder. It was in a gentle, slow, yet happy tune.

Branch wasn't humming any song in particular. Just making up his own rhythm with his beautiful singing voice. He hoped to at least spark something inside of Poppy.

The former Princess blinked rapidly and turned towards him again. "B-Branch," she said in a hoarse voice.

Relief swamped Branch. He sighed happily and pressed his chin to the top of her head. Sure, her hair might've been gray and clumpy but it still smelled as sweet as ever. "Poppy, please don't do this to yourself," Branch muttered. "Your Trolls need you. I need you. What happened to that bubbly Queen who preached happiness?"

Poppy turned her head away, holding a look of hopelessness on her gloomy face. "She died," the now-gray female mused.

"No! She's still there! I know it." Branch cupped her smaller face in his hands and pressed his lips to hers. The kiss wasn't as warm as their first one. But it was still sparking up something inside of him. He wrapped his arms tightly around her and kissed her soft, smooth lips with care. Her smell flared strongly in his nose. It was so sweet and so comforting to him.

Poppy broke away, and Branch was surprised to see a spot of glowing pink appear on her face. It began to engulf her head, spreading through her messy hair that was always tied up. It traveled through her body, out across her limbs until finally...she was normal again. Yet there were still dark circles just below her eyes and her hair still stuck out in all angles.

But Branch was just relieved he'd been able to help her. The fact that he made her happy was so overwhelming to him, that he couldn't quite process it at first.

Poppy gave a gentle smile. "Thank you, Branch," she chuckled softly. She moved closer to him as they both rose to their feet and tackled him in a hug.

She peppered his face in kisses and Branch laughed softly under her lighter weight. She pinned him to her bed, her cute pink nose tickling his skin.

"Come on, Pops, let's clean you up." Branch grabbed her delicate hand in his and carefully pulled her to her mirror. A brush was sitting on the countertop and he snatched it up, guiding the recovered female back over to her bed.

He patted the covers for her to join him and she hurried over. Poppy took a seat in front of him, letting him caress her soft hair. Branch then lifted the brush and began sweeping it through the feathery softness.

They sat there for the longest time with Branch just admiring how her hair moved as he brushed it back into its normal sleek state.

Once he had finished, he set the brush back down on the bed. But then, he remembered. Creek was still here and he had not once mentioned it to Poppy. But should he? How would she react? Oh, she'll find out eventually. Creek just has to let his presence be known to everyone!

"Uh...Poppy," Branch started awkwardly, rubbing the nape of his neck with his hand. "I need to tell you something."

Poppy turned to him with a curious expression. He noticed her dress was still dirty and thought they ought to give her another outfit. "What is it?" she asked in a scratchy voice. She was still looking quite mournful, and Branch didn't really blame her for it.

"There's a bit of a situation." He rubbed the sheets of Poppy's bed with his fingertips. This was more difficult than he thought. "Well, uh....I...um..."

"Spit it out, Branch!" Poppy hissed.

Branch sighed reluctantly. "Creek is here," he blurted.

Poppy's eyes stretched wider than the moon. Shock exploded through her facial expression and anger soon replaced it. She seemed to be steaming with rage.

"Where is he?" Poppy demanded.

Branch slipped off the bed and led Poppy out into the village. To Branch's surprise, several Trolls were now crowding around Creek and talking to him like he had never betrayed them.

But not every Troll was doing this. Many more circled him suspiciously, distrust lingering in their gazes.

Poppy hauled herself up onto a large rock. "CREEK!" she yelled across the clearing. Her fingers were flexing in and out of a fist as if she wanted to punch the annoying purple Troll.

The crowd around Creek split up, and the the meditator rose to his feet. His dark violet eyes twinkled charmingly as he stared at Poppy. "Hello, love," he cooed as he approached the pretty Queen. "I heard about your father's death. How unfortunate, you poor, poor thing." He looked her up and down. "You must be Queen now. What an honor." He winked gently.

Poppy looked beyond grossed out. Her teeth clenched tightly together at the mention of Peppy, and she looked as if she were fighting back more tears.

Branch felt the urge to barricade her from her former love interest. He stepped in front of her protectively, his arms crossed against his chest. Challenge lit his eyes as he glared at Creek. "Step back, idiot," he growled. "I told you, Poppy doesn't want you."

Creek rolled his eyes. "I wouldn't be so sure." He chuckled softly before turning and walking off back to his little crowd of "friends."

Poppy's eyes were full of hatred, confusion, regret, grief, and sorrow all at the same time.

This chapter sucked, I'm sorry x3
I'm tired as hell right now, and I wanted to get this chapter out as soon as possible. I need to get to the main plot. I don't wanna drag this out too long. Also, the next chapter is going to piss you off ;)

Anyways, time for the question: Last time you watched Trolls? I actually watched it again like an hour ago. Having the DVD is amazing :,)