Chapter 25

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Branch's POV >
(This is the last chapter!)

Branch was pacing nervously back and forth down the hallway, his palms sweating and his fingers trembling. His heart raced hard in his chest. Today was an exciting yet anxious day for him.

It had been eight more months, and Poppy was now giving birth to their first child. A few months earlier, they'd been given the chance to find out the gender of their baby, but refused, saying they wanted a surprise. Branch did not care what gender it was. He was happy to have any child with Poppy.

A hand on his shoulder made him halt, turning his head and seeing a doctor next to him. It was a female with yellow skin and orange hair. "Are you okay, sir?" she asked.

Branch sighed. "Just nervous. How's Poppy doing?" He knew she was just in the room he was standing outside of, but he really couldn't hear anything going on.

Before the doctor could answer him, a shriek of pain sounded from inside the room. Alarm spiked through Branch and all instincts told him to rush in there and help Poppy. He knew those screams were hers. They were pain-filled and desperate. But he had to remind himself they were from the contractions.

"Looks like the delivery has started," the doctor commented. "Come and sit, Branch. We don't want you too nervous. It's not good for you to worry." She grabbed his arm and guided him towards a chair pressed to the wall.

"Sit here," she instructed.

Branch settled himself into the soft cushion, looking up at the doctor with a questioning gaze. "What's your name?" he asked.

"Sage," she responded, turning and walking off. "The doctors will come and get you once the birth is over."

Time stretched out forever. Poppy's screams were the only sound crowding his ears, and he gripped the chair arms tightly with his muscular hands. It'll all be okay, Poppy, he thought, hoping his silent words were true. What if the baby didn't get oxygen in time? What if Poppy bled to death? What if there was some other terrible issue? Geez, being a first-time parent was not easy. Branch took a shaky deep breath in attempt to calm himself. But adrenaline was still pulsating through his veins, causing him to shake uncontrollably.

The King shut his eyes tightly together, trying to slow his breathing. He thought about Poppy's cute smile, the beauty of her singing voice, and the bravery he'd seen countless times within her. He truly admired her and knew he was the luckiest Troll in the whole universe to be married to her. He then let his mind focus on their coming baby. What would he/she look like? What would they name him/her?

Branch had hated children for a very long time during his grumpy days and always avoided them. But ever since his colors came back, he felt a huge change within himself. He enjoyed the moments of singing, dancing, hugging, and even telling old stories to the village's children. He was finally a normal Troll again, thanks to Poppy.

Branch had been so lost and absorbed in his thoughts, that he hadn't realized how much time had passed. Next thing he knew, a hand was tapping his shoulder and he opened his eyes. Another doctor, a green male with darker hair, was standing over him.

Branch quickly scrambled to his feet and glanced over at the room. "Is she okay? Is the baby okay? Is—"

"Yes, everything's fine, Branch," the doctor replied, a smile curling the ends of his lips. "I was just coming out to get you. She's ready for you to see the baby. Actually, she's been begging to have you in the room."

Branch was about to ask the doctor what the baby's gender was, but he flung that away. He wanted to find out for himself. He slowly approached the door, his heart thumping wildly in his chest. What if he dropped the baby? No! Stop worrying, idiot! Everything will be fine! Just go! Branch bustled open the door, his eyes locking on Poppy who was laying down in her bed, a soft white gown worn on her body, her eyes sleepy, and a baby Troll held against her chest cocooned in a blanket.