Chapter 20

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀< Branch's POV >

The blue Troll was laying on his side. His hands were curled against his chest and his legs were tucked upwards, his face sunk into the pillow. He had been there sitting still for the past few days. His wounded flank had been his excuse to lay around. The doctors advised he rest for another day before attempting to walk.

It'd been about a week since the incident with Chef and Creek, and Branch remembered receiving very upsetting news. Chef had succeeded in what he guessed was part of her plan, and had murdered King Gristle in his sleep. That just left Bridget all by herself to lead Bergentown, and he also remembered hearing she was expecting a baby. Hope wasn't totally lost, but he could only imagine what grief Bridget must be going through. I'd be feeling that way if I lost Poppy... he thought.

He clenched his hands into tight fists. Images of the pretty pink Troll flashed through his mind, causing a longing, mourning ache to spread across his chest. He just wanted to see her smiling, singing, dancing, and even scrapbooking like she used to. But she was close to death.

Branch buried his face in his pillow, tears flowing from his eyes. But soon...he fell asleep.

Branch was awoken to a hand shaking his body. He jolted awake, groaning uncomfortably as pain jostled through his side. "What?" he mumbled sleepily.

The doctor stood over him, his eyes slightly worried. "It's time for you to try standing," he said. "I don't mean to wake you, sir, but it's noon. We need to get you healed as soon as possible."

Branch glared at the other male Troll, but then relaxed as an idea came to him. "If I get up and do what you say, will you let me see Poppy?" he asked.

The doctor hesitated. But then slowly nodded his head. "Yes, I will," he replied. "Just keep in mind though, she may not be able to hear—"

"I don't care!" Branch snapped. "As long as I can see her, that's all that matters." He hauled himself up into a sitting position, his legs dangling off the side of the bed. He gritted his teeth as more pain wracked him. It was almost unbearable.

"Take it slow," the doctor ordered, "or you'll open the wound back up again."

Branch braced himself. He was ready for the pain. He slowly, carefully, gently slid off the bed. But he stumbled violently as his bare feet pressed against the cold ground. Agony rippled through him and he collapsed, dizziness filling him.

"Be careful!" the doctor snapped. He felt a hand grasp his arm and slowly haul him upwards. "We're going to give you crutches until you can walk again."

Branch sighed as the doctor propped him up against a wall and turned, grabbing the pair of crutches in his hands and giving them to the blue Troll. "Use these," he said. "We'll walk to Poppy's room together."

Branch awkwardly positioned the crutches under his armpits, hating the way it dug into his skin with each stroke. But he had to put up with it or he'd never make it to Poppy.

He winced with each "step" as pain coursed through him. But it was nowhere close to what he felt a week ago, where he thought he'd die if he even dared move a muscle.

The two Trolls traveled through many hallways, until they were in an urgent care area. Branch's heart sped up in his chest. What if Poppy was already dead? No! I can't think that way, he told himself. He had to be positive. It would be what Poppy wanted.

"How is she holding up? Is she getting better?" Branch suddenly asked the doctor beside him.

The orange-skinned Troll turned his gaze towards him. "Luckily, there seems to be some improvement. But I advise you to not let your hopes get too high. She's still pretty badly hurt."

"What exactly happened to her?" Branch asked. He knew Creek had done something, but in the moment he had been unable to see them.

"Knife wounds everywhere. In the sides, legs, arms, her face, severe bruises, and there's been some damage to her brain. It's nothing that'll cause memory loss or personality change, but we still need to take care of it immediately." The doctor blinked slightly after his explanation. Was that anxiety Branch saw in his eyes?

They soon turned a corner, and the doctor halted, pointing to the door beside them. "She's in there. Please be careful."

"I wouldn't dream of hurting her," Branch retorted, feeling a little protective suddenly.

The doctor smiled briefly and swung open the door to allow Branch entrance. He slowly pulled himself inside the room with a stroke of his crutches.

The door shut behind him, and he was left with the sight of his love curled up in a bed. Blood and bruises stained her body, bandages encasing her sides, head, and legs.

Branch wanted to run forward, but his injury and the crutches prevented him from doing so. He quickly propelled himself in her direction, ignoring the pain as it increased. He awkwardly pushed a nearby chair next to her bed with the foot of one of his crutches. He set the guides on the floor next to him as he settled down in the chair. His hand reached out and stroked Poppy's sleek pink hair.

The Troll Queen's eyes snapped open immediately at his touch. Relief filled her gaze as she saw him. "B-Branch?" she asked.

Branch was utterly shocked. The doctor had said she would be unconscious. Yet here she was, awake and staring at him with those wonderful rosy orbs. The blue male moved his face against hers, peppering her forehead and cheeks in loving kisses.

"Are you okay?" he muttered softly.

Poppy sniffled. "I...guess," she choked out. Her voice was scratchy and barely above a whisper. "Has...a-anything h-happened?" she asked.

Branch sighed in hesitation. He wasn't sure he wanted to break the news of Gristle's death. But after silent convincing, he let the words gently tumble from his mouth. His heart twisted in sorrow as Poppy's gaze filled up with grief. "Poor Bridget..." she murmured.

Branch moved himself against her, stroking her pretty face as a single tear trickled from her eye. He used his thumb to wipe it away. "Don't be all sad now, Pops. Bridget is expecting a baby."

Poppy smiled weakly. "That's good," she croaked. "But that a-also reminds me of something." She turned her head slightly to gaze up at Branch and stare him straight in the eyes. She seemed like she was asking him permission for this. As if what was about to come out of her mouth would change their lives forever.

"Branch, I need to tell you this now," Poppy grumbled.

Branch's heart suddenly began pounding with fear. Was she going to tell him she was dying? Panic and adrenaline pulsed through his veins but he forced himself to keep his voice as even as possible as he asked: "Of course, Poppy, what is it?"

Poppy smiled once again, the muscles in her face hardly strong enough to keep it in that full grin he was so familiar with. That grin that reminded him of a sunny day with a rainbow streaked across the sky, and with the Queen's beautiful singing voice filling his ears. Now she looked miserable and as if she'd been thrown in a ditch for two weeks. But Branch pricked his pointy bright blue ears as he waited for the words to come.

"This is going to be a lot to take in, Branch," Poppy warned.

"I can handle it. Whatever you need to say, say it. You can tell my anything." He nuzzled her face, kissing the tip of her nose.

"Okay..." Poppy sighed, her chest shaking. "Branch...I'm...I'm pregnant."

Thank you for reading this chapter! Stay tuned for the next!

Here's le question:

Which troll do you act like the most?

My brother said I remind him a lot of grumpy Branch, which in a way, I can see why. I have a similar personality at times. Whoops.

Give me your answer in the comments and don't forget to vote!