14

"Tate...she's really gone..." Tay mumbles into my shoulder, her tears staining my dress shirt.

I nod, holding her tightly. She hands grip my shirt and I know she just needs someone to hold her. Everyone around us just shakes their heads sadly, some wiping away tears. It's like they all know not to say anything to us.

Everyone starts walking back to their cars but us. We stand at the end of the grave, Tays face buried in my shirt. Her dad walks over, placing a hand in my shoulder.

"I'll be in the car."

I nod, and press my lips against Tays head. Soon her hands loosen on my shirt and I know she's getting tired. I pull back, and Tay looks up at me, her mascara running dow her cheeks.

"Are you ready to go home?" i question, and she nods.

I take her hand, and we walk to the black car thats waiting for us. I open the door, and she climbs in, me following right behind her. Once the door is closed, the driver pulls away. Neither Tay nor her dad say anything as the driver takes us back to her house. When we pull up, Tay stays back when he dad goes.

"Can we go home tonight? I can't stay here...please Tate..." she asks, and I know I can't say no. I nod, and we both get out of the car. Her dad waits at the door, and he knows when we step inside that she doesn't want to be here.

"Sweetie, don't worry. You can go," he says, kissing her forehead.

Tay wraps her arms around him, and I quickly go upstairs to get our stuff. Most of our stuff was in our bags, so I just throw the few items that weren't in them and head back downstairs. Tays dad is waiting at the bottom of the stairs, and I look around for Tay.

"Where did tay go?" I question.

"She's in the car waiting. Tate, you'll tell me if something happens to her, right? I just want to make sure she's okay and we both know she doesn't like telling me things. Can you just keep me in the loop if anything happens?" he asks, and I immediately say yes.

Without Tay, he has nothing now. I plan to make sure I tell him if anything happens. I give him a quick goodbye and head to the car. The bags get thrown in the back, and I get in the drivers seat. Tay has her headphones in, and looks to be almost asleep. I don't say anything as I pull out of the driveway and start the long drive home.

~ ~ ~

"Tay, we're here."

Tay takes put her headphones, and sits up. I turn the car off, and get out to grab our bags. Tay follows behind me as I enter the building. There are a few people milling around the lobby but no one pays attention to us. It doesn't take long for the elevator to come and take us to our floor.

"I'm hungry," Tay mumbles as we walk down the hall. I roll my eyes, and unlock the door.

"I'll make you sandwich," I reply, going inside.

Tay smiles and takes her bag from me, going to her room. I follow suit, putting my bag in my room, before going out to the kitchen to make her a sandwich. Opening the fridge, I grab some slides ham and the mustard, and start making her sandwich. Tay comes out, and leans against he counter watching me.

"Thank you. I know today was long and to make you drive back here. Just thank you."

I nod, kissing her cheek and handing her the sandwich. Tay takes it and goes to the living room turning on the tv. I clean up the kitchen and go out to sit with Tay. Just as I sit, my phone goes off. I groan but get up to grab my phone.

"Hello?" I ask, having not looked at the ID.

"Tate, how are you?" Damon asks.

"I'm good," I reply, sitting next to Tay.