23

I could feel my stomach tightening the closer we got to Damon's moms house. Last time didn't go very well and I just hope nothing can go wrong this time. Damon was less nervous than last time, his family having met me already. It was nice to se him more relaxed. I'm the nervous one this time.

The house comes into sight and my heart starts beating faster. What if Damon lied? What if his parents hate me and want to tell me? So many things could go wrong. Damons voice quickly snaps me back to reality.

"Tate, calm down. Things are fine. You'll be fine."

I nod. He's right. His mom wants to make sure I'm okay. Nothing could possibly go wrong. Damon takes my hand when we get out of the car, leading me up to the house. He knocks on the door, shuffling heard seconds after.

"Tate! Oh I'm so glad you're here. I've been so worried about you. How are you, dear?" Elaine asks as she pulls me inside and to the kitchen.

"I'm okay. Things are better," I inform her, looking at Damon as he walks in, his father in tow.

Elaine quickly goes on about how disappointed she is in the boys. She had hoped they would try and mend things at the party, but that plan didn't work out. I go to apologize for ruining the plan but she stops me.

"Tate, honey, it's not your fault. Those two are a lost cause. I just hope they don't make your life harder wit their little feud."

Damon shakes his head, grabbing a beer from the fridge. Elaine gives him a look and he just uncaps the beer. Taking a quick swig he speaks.

"I wasn't the one who started it."

His mother quickly smacks him in the head, and I have to hold back my laughs. It's funny seeing the big scary dom wince from a woman as sweet as Elaine.

Fred walks into the kitchen a moment later, waving when he sees me. I give him a wave back, watching as he grabs himself a beer as well. Elaine rolls her eyes, turning back to me.

"Why don't we go talk outside? It's a lovely day."

I agree and follow her to the backyard. The second we step outside I can picture everything that happened almost two weeks ago. I push those images out of my mind as we take a seat at the patio table.

"Now, I don't mean to pry, but I want to make sure you're really okay. Goodness knows my boys can be quite a pain when together. Have you forgiven them?" Elaine questions.

"Yea. It took a bit but I've forgiven them both. The only probably now is this whole completion to win me. I feel like a prize and I hate it," I vent to her.

Elaine shakes her head, leaning back in her chair. I can tell the thought of her boys making me a prize isn't something she likes either. She lets out a sigh before speaking.

"I know this is something you need to decide, but I just want you to know this. Damon has always been a very...reserved person, I suppose. We are well aware he's had partners before, but none like you. He's never cared for someone. He cares for you and I think you should give him the chance to maybe love you."

I let her words sink in for a second. She's right about what she said. This is all new to him and I could see that. He was so unsure about doing couple like things. It was all so foreign to him.

Dean is different. He's done this before and i'm guessing more than once. Hearing her say that tells me I know who I want to win. The only thing holding me back, being trust.

"I want it to be Damon. I just don't know if I can trust him. He lied about having no siblings. How do I know he isn't lying about more?"

Elaine takes my hand, "You just have to take that chance."