(16) Alexandria

"How are you feeling today?" Jesus asked, handing me a cup of water.
"I feel a little better. But I should get back before Negan comes." His eyes fell to the floor and he nodded. "What? You want me to stay?"
"I just don't want you to go back there."
"I don't want to either."
"It's only been two days, are you sure you feel like heading back?" He asked, changing the subject immediately.
"Yeah. I do, and I need to see Maggie." I sat up and winced, clutching onto the railing of the bed, every ounce of my being was throbbing. Jesus tried to help but I told him I could do it.

-
I lightly knocked on the door and getting a small "come in".
"Hey, how are you feeling?" I asked as I pulled a chair beside her.
"The baby's okay, that's all that matters." I nodded and squeezed her frail hand.
   "I have to get back."
       "You've only been here for two days." She said, furrowing her eyebrows.
   "Negan could be early. I don't want any chances taken." She nodded and a tear rolled down her face. She quickly wiped it away and gave me a small smile.
   "Where is he?" I stammered out. Since I had arrived, I haven't went to his grave.
       "I'll show you." She winced as she sat up and began walking outside.

--
   She sat in front of the wooden cross, pulling her knees to her chest and resting her head.
    "I'll never forget him." She said to herself.
"Maggie. I found this." Jesus said, clutching onto Hershel's watch. She took it and smiled, kissing the watch and setting it in the dirt.
"I have to go." She gave me a small nod and embraced me, squeezing as hard as she could.
"Be safe." I nodded and began walking towards the gate. I turned back and Maggie had returned to her place–sitting in front of Glenn's grave.

-
   Aaron and I locked eyes as the gate opened. He began walking towards me, pulling me into a tight embrace.
   "Are you okay?"
     "I'm okay." He smiled and nodded to a man as he began closing the gate that separated their community from the outside.
    "We have a lot to talk about." Rick turned to me as he began walking up the stairs of a house.
"Hey dad, is there any—"Carl stopped and scratched the back of his neck nervously. He wasn't sure what to say to me, little did he know the feeling was mutual.
   "Carl, why don't you go get a couple blankets for Alice?" Carl rolled his eyes–he knew that was a hint for us to have some privacy.
    "Now, before I tell you anything. You have some explaining to do." The smile left his face and his eyes became dark.
   "I know."
"Why don't you start with how you even met him." He spit like he wasn't a human being, like his name didn't mean anything.
    "I came to Virginia to find Aaron. I was alone, scared, I began to lose all hope. I had a gun pointed to my temple and he stopped me, pulled the gun straight from my hand. He saved me, took me in."
  "Do you love him?" He asked, his eyes falling to the floor.
  "Yeah I do. But what he did to Glenn and the other man—"
    "Abraham."
       "Abraham. What he did to them was horrific— I'll never forgive him for that. A part of me will always hate him."
     "Were you at the outpost that night? We saw a gun with your initial in it, same as the RV and Father Gabriel's church." I remembered the night I stumbled upon him. It was a few days after leaving Terminus, he let me stay in the church with him as long as I gave him some food. It seemed like a fair deal. I confessed to him, told him all about Rick's group, but never revealed who they were, just that I missed them dearly.
    "No, I wasn't. I was in the infirmary while it was happening."
     "When we were separated, Carl and Daryl wanted to go out–look for you. I thought you were dead for the longest time, I almost found the closure for it. Especially after everything that happened, I didn't think I could handle another loss. What I didn't know is that I would only lose more as time went on. T-Dog, Hershel, Lori—" His voice cracked and he blinked a few times, tying not to let the tears out. "Beth, Noah, Denise, Jessie, Andrea, Glenn—" He put his thumb and pointer finger over the bridge of his nose, his eyes falling back to the floor. "So much has happened Alice, so much."
   "I don't know how much longer I'll be here. I'll spend every minute listening to you if you want." He chuckled and took a sip of his drink.
    "It all started at a prison—"